PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ HD box without HD Pack

Ninko
16-08-2009, 20:13
Hi there,
Quick question... Does anyone know if a new customer getting Sky TV could get a Sky+ HD box without having to get the HD Pack?

Thanks

Ninko

BenMcr
16-08-2009, 20:15
Only if you want to pay £199 for it but even then I'm not sure Sky themselves would let you.

Might be able to get it from a 3rd party Sat installer though

Tezcatlipoca
16-08-2009, 21:03
You used to be able to get one from Sky for, IIRC, £399 without the HD subscription.

I'm not sure they still do it though - I can't see any mention on the Sky website of being able to get the box without the subscription.

You certainly would not be able to get the reduced price of £49 without getting the HD pack.

As Ben suggested though, you can definitely buy a Sky+HD box from a 3rd party without having to get the HD pack.

When I bought my HD box two years ago, I bought it brand new from a dealer on eBay, for around £160-170 ish I think (a good price at the time, as it was well before Sky slashed the price of the box).

As I had bought it from someone other than Sky, I was not tied into having the HD subscription - all I had to do was phone up Sky to activate the Sky+ recording facility & pair my viewing card with the box.

EDIT:

Oh, & reasons for getting one but not going for the HD subscription:

- BBC HD & Channel 4 HD

- Upscaling of SD channels over HDMI

- Double the HDD size of a Sky+ box.

As I don't bother with the Sport or Movie packs, I didn't see any real need to pay another tenner per month just to see Sky 1 HD & the documentary channels in HD.

Ninko
17-08-2009, 12:34
Hi there,
So whats the best plan for a new customer wanting the Sky+ HD box but without the HD Pack? Can you sign up without requesting a box and buying it from a 3rd party, or do you just get a standard box and again buy it from a 3rd party and replace it?

I don't know much about Sky myself.

Thanks

Ninko

P.S. Matt D, its nice to see I'm not the only one wanting the box without the pack for the same reasons.

Tezcatlipoca
17-08-2009, 19:39
Hmm. Not sure. As I said, there seems to be no mention anymore on the Sky site of being able to buy a Sky+HD box off them without the HD subscription. Only says £49 for the 1st box (HD sub required) & £199 subsequent boxes (HD sub required).

I suppose you could sign up for a standard box (free box + £60 installation), then buy a Sky+HD box from a 3rd party, swap the boxes out, & phone Sky to activate Sky+ & pair the viewing card.

But: Standard installation would not be sufficient for later connecting a Sky+HD box, as it requires two feeds from the dish.

Perhaps you could instead sign up for a Sky+ box (£49 box + £30 installation), & then get an HD box & swap them out, as Sky+ installation gives the two feeds required for an HD box.

It may be an idea to phone Sky, & see if they will supply one without an HD subscription?

Have you looked at where to buy a Sky+HD box from yourself & how much it would be?

One alternative - depending on which channels you actually want - would be to get a Freesat+ HD box. You'd get all the Free-to-air channels, including the free HD channels, & have PVR facilities, without having to pay Sky for a subscription. Obviously, though, if you want to watch Sky 1 or any of the other Sky-only subscription channels then this isn't an option. And you wouldn't get the box or installation subsidised like you would with Sky.