PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Hegemony
16-08-2009, 18:57
Basically there was one main PC in the house, but now theres a new one which is mine and much better than the previous one. The internet wire goes through into my sisters room but I want it to go through mine directly. I don't want stupid wireless because I get frustrated when I lag for a split second while playing online games, and I'm not interested in connecting a Ethernet cable into my modem since its more of a hassle with my sisters in control of the router, if you get what I mean. :) Anyway is it possible for Virgin Media to directly wire the internet into my PC and would it cost alot?

Tech_Boy
16-08-2009, 19:25
no, to have more than one pc on a connection, you have to use a router, and if wireless laggs to much, then ethernet is your only option.

dd11
16-08-2009, 19:47
If u really can't use Ethernet have you thought about homeplugs? Never tried them myself though.

Peter_
16-08-2009, 19:50
If you use a router as advised above all you need to do is disable the wireless and you will have 4 ethernet ports to use.

Or you could buy a unmanaged ethenet switch such as this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B0007SQEQ4

Stuart
16-08-2009, 20:08
If you use a router as advised above all you need to do is disable the wireless and you will have 4 ethernet ports to use.

Or you could buy a unmanaged ethenet switch such as this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B0007SQEQ4

Err, you have the 4 ports available whether Wireless is on or off.

webcrawler2050
16-08-2009, 20:17
Basically there was one main PC in the house, but now theres a new one which is mine and much better than the previous one. The internet wire goes through into my sisters room but I want it to go through mine directly. I don't want stupid wireless because I get frustrated when I lag for a split second while playing online games, and I'm not interested in connecting a Ethernet cable into my modem since its more of a hassle with my sisters in control of the router, if you get what I mean. :) Anyway is it possible for Virgin Media to directly wire the internet into my PC and would it cost alot?

Yep - through thernet? Could put a switch on the VM modem and cable it..

Peter_
16-08-2009, 22:14
Err, you have the 4 ports available whether Wireless is on or off.
He does not want wireless,so if using a router he can disable wireless.

Down to the wording and how it can be read.;)

Stuart
16-08-2009, 22:20
Fair enough. Didn't mean any offence.

Peter_
16-08-2009, 22:23
Fair enough. Didn't mean any offence.
I can see what you mean though Stuart, I did not expand it more.;)

Hegemony
17-08-2009, 19:19
Thanks for the help but still its not what I wanted. :P Would it be possible to discontinue the internet access through the wire in my sisters room and have it wired into mine?

Wayfair
17-08-2009, 19:23
Yes it's possible but you will need a tech to come round and fit it for you, there is a price associated with this but it changes depending on who you ask.

Just ring 150 and ask.

Hegemony
17-08-2009, 19:25
Thanks for the help, but could you give me a estimate as to what it would cost? :)

Wayfair
17-08-2009, 19:37
I would guess it would start at the minimum installation fee, so it would be £30 upwards, it's got to be loads easier ringing and asking.

SPEEDWAY
17-08-2009, 21:06
It looks as though all thatS wanted is to stop anyone else using the internet on the premises, its not really a techy problem at all.
Sister in control of the router - what a load of nonsense.

We have one desktop, 2 laptops and a streamer all ethernet wired and no complaints from anyone. I don't use wireless - i'm paranoid there out to get ME.

Hegemony
23-08-2009, 00:43
Sister keep getting us capped as well, so being in control of the router would mean, I can cut her off the internet if she doesn't listen to what I say. :P

webcrawler2050
23-08-2009, 00:44
Sister keep getting us capped as well, so being in control of the router would mean, I can cut her off the internet if she doesn't listen to what I say. :P

That sounds like a good idea - failing, that i think the router has time restrictions for MAC addresses, so..

SPEEDWAY
23-08-2009, 01:31
Ah well thats a different story - as slapping is now frowned upon - the best thing is probably getting into the router and doing the restriction thing - it can be done by time or mac address.

Failing that a stanley knife on the cable can work.

best of luck mate