PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media - 50MB Size XXL Broadband?

Xientie
16-08-2009, 05:57
Hello,

My name is Xientie and I have a number of questions about Virgin Media's 50MB Broadband, if anyone would be kind enough to answer them for me I would be much obliged :).

1.) Virgin Media says I can get upto 50MB, but doesn't say what minimal MB allowance I would receive. What is minimum MB limit with Virgin Media's 50MB Broadband?

2.) Virgin Media says it punishes users who excede their threshold limit by imposeing x amount of throttle hours. Does this affect 50MB Broadband users?

3.) Virgin Media says it enforces traffic control and the top 5% of it's power users will be throttled. Does this also affect 50MB Broadband users?

4.) Virgin Media's "Traffic Management policy" was last updated on the 12th May 2009. Have there been any notable changes to the policy since then?

5.) Summary, is Virgin Media's 50MB Broadband as good as they say it is?

horrorwood
16-08-2009, 09:22
Hello,

My name is Xientie and I have a number of questions about Virgin Media's 50MB Broadband, if anyone would be kind enough to answer them for me I would be much obliged :).

1.) Virgin Media says I can get upto 50MB, but doesn't say what minimal MB allowance I would receive. What is minimum MB limit with Virgin Media's 50MB Broadband?

2.) Virgin Media says it punishes users who excede their threshold limit by imposeing x amount of throttle hours. Does this affect 50MB Broadband users?

3.) Virgin Media says it enforces traffic control and the top 5% of it's power users will be throttled. Does this also affect 50MB Broadband users?

4.) Virgin Media's "Traffic Management policy" was last updated on the 12th May 2009. Have there been any notable changes to the policy since then?

5.) Summary, is Virgin Media's 50MB Broadband as good as they say it is?

1.) You should get 50mbit all of the time, I think the minimum they leave you with is 38mbit, someone else will have to confirm that.

2.) Nope

3.) Nope

4.) Nope!

5.) Yep! I don't think you will find better in the UK.

blade85
16-08-2009, 09:45
1.) You should get 50mbit all of the time, I think the minimum they leave you with is 38mbit, someone else will have to confirm that.

2.) Nope

3.) Nope

4.) Nope!

5.) Yep! I don't think you will find better in the UK.

That pretty much sums it up tbh.

However, speeds will fluctuate based on your set up really. Example, if your going to use USB instead of ethernet you wont get anywhere near 50Mb, or if your using wireless and have an a/b wireless router...or even g for that matter I think. Not sure what the max speed is that a G router can output, but any way...you get the idea.

So theoretically yes, the 50 meg service is meant to be a 50 meg service...but you may not get that if you havent got the right set up.

Kymmy
16-08-2009, 09:51

However, speeds will fluctuate based on your set up really. Example, if your going to use USB instead of ethernet you wont get anywhere near 50Mb, or if your using wireless and have an a/b wireless router...or even g for that matter I think. Not sure what the max speed is that a G router can output, but any way...you get the idea.

So theoretically yes, the 50 meg service is meant to be a 50 meg service...but you may not get that if you havent got the right set up.

But 50Mb comes with an N router and a USB2 N dongle ;)

bigsinky
16-08-2009, 14:31
how refreshing for someone who sets out a post like this. plain, well spaced, good grammar an spelling and polite to boot.

BenMcr
16-08-2009, 15:22
Yeh I now what u mean innit :D :P :)

Matt-08
16-08-2009, 18:41

Wireless G is good for 24Mbps.

blade85
17-08-2009, 13:49
But 50Mb comes with an N router and a USB2 N dongle ;)

ah point well made! lol

as you can tell, I havent got the 50 meg connection :p

Any way, speeds may fluctuate, but it really should be around 50 megs.