PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Using Freeview after Virgin Media

Damien3350
15-08-2009, 20:40
Hello,

I am having a problem with getting Freeview and I was hoping someone would know how to solve it. I've tried searching for a solution online, but so far no luck. It doesn't help that I know next to nothing about TV services in general!

I recently moved into a new flat and the previous owners were using a Virgin Media V-Box which they have left. The V-Box is connected to the aerial by a white F-type cable (probably an RG-6 cable from what my online searching has told me). I have Freeview integrated into my TV, which takes a regular Belling-Lee connector for the antenna in. I assumed that I could get the Freeview working on the TV by cutting the coax cable at the end and replacing the F-type connector with a Belling-Lee connector, so I did this. When I then plugged the cable into the back of the TV and scanned for channels, all of the terrestrial channels came up fine (I even managed to get E4 as a terrestrial channel somehow), but when I scan for Freeview channels I get a message saying that no channels could be found.

Was I mistaken in thinking that it was as simple as replacing the connector?
Does anyone know how I can fix the problem and get the Freeview working?

Kymmy
15-08-2009, 20:42
There is no freeview feed (DVB-T) via the VM cable. The only way you can get freeview is with an antenna (or freesat via a dish)

PS...welcome to the forum :)

Damien3350
15-08-2009, 20:48
Thanks! :)

So what is the VM cable attached to?

webcrawler2050
15-08-2009, 20:51
Thanks! :)

So what is the VM cable attached to?

UBR?

Damien3350
15-08-2009, 20:57
Thanks for the help guys - I think I know how to solve the problem now. Not too bright of me in the first place. :)

AndyCambs
15-08-2009, 21:47
If you are using a Virgin Media connection then you need to be paying a subscription to get channels.

webcrawler2050
15-08-2009, 21:51
Thanks for the help guys - I think I know how to solve the problem now. Not too bright of me in the first place. :)

Sounds like her tried to wire the freeview box, into the VM coax?