PDA

View Full Version : 50Mb and STB Internet down in Plymouth PL1 - anyone else?

sammyjayuk
13-08-2009, 20:00
Roughly 20 minutes ago, both my cable modem and V+ dropped offline. It's difficult to tell what the V+ is doing, however the modem is locked to a downstream channel but is failing to "range" an upstream.

Wondered if anyone else here was experiencing this.

Thanks,
Sam

Peter_
13-08-2009, 20:46
What are the power levels for downstream and upstream on the modem.

sammyjayuk
13-08-2009, 21:38
What are the power levels for downstream and upstream on the modem.

It's all fine now, thankfully - I was worried it was going to be down all night!

For the record, downstream power was ~-4 or something (didn't take much notice, as it seemed to be stable) and I'm not sure that upstream was relevant - it was rising between ~20 and ~60 then dropping down to ~20, plus the channel kept changing - I assume the modem was trying to find a channel and lowest power level it would get a response to.

Thanks,
Sam

LaineY
13-08-2009, 21:41
Plym is down at the moment 22000 customers offline

the ubrs are slowly coming back online

sammyjayuk
13-08-2009, 21:49
Plym is down at the moment 22000 customers offline

the ubrs are slowly coming back online

That's what I wanted to hear! Obviously not good, but it does mean it's not something specific to me.

My V+ is back online now, too - thanks to whoever's up so late to fix whatever's gone wrong!

Sam

Peter_
13-08-2009, 22:03
It's all fine now, thankfully - I was worried it was going to be down all night!

For the record, downstream power was ~-4 or something (didn't take much notice, as it seemed to be stable) and I'm not sure that upstream was relevant - it was rising between ~20 and ~60 then dropping down to ~20, plus the channel kept changing - I assume the modem was trying to find a channel and lowest power level it would get a response to.

Thanks,
Sam
That all fits in with what Lainey posted about the outage.

Grumpywurzel
14-08-2009, 11:24
Hiya guys, been hiding in the shadows for far too long. I too lost the tinterweb last night in Plymouth, does anyone know if they are still playing with it as I am lucky to receive 1mb instead of a steady rock solid 10mb.

I am currently connected directly to the modem to get the best results.

Here's my power levels--

Channel ID 1
Downstream Frequency 339250000 Hz
Modulation QAM256
Bit Rate 10240000 bps
Power Level 0.31 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 31 dB

Channel ID 3
Upstream Frequency 37500000 Hz
Bit Rate 512000 bps
Power Level 37.00 dBmV

I'm using a webstar DPX100 which seems ok.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/539814246.png

Many thanks
Garry

Peter_
14-08-2009, 12:18
Downstream Frequency 339250000 Hz

That should be 339000000 not 339250000.

That frequency has drifted and need resetting so click this link here http://192.168.100.1/gscan.cgi?freq=0 and your modem frequency will set to 0, reboot and cycle to the correct frequency.

You really need to call in and get that modem swapped as it will continue to drift.

Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.
Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Grumpywurzel
14-08-2009, 13:23
Cheers for the reply Moldova, I have done what you have suggested which has brought my speed back up to 10mb, will give 151 a shout and see where that gets me!!!

Ta Garry

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Just an update, spoke a nice bloke called Chris. He laughed when I said I had a webstar DPX100 and is sending an engineer out to replace the modem on Monday!! Result!

My speed is steady at 10mb for the time being, fingers crossed the new modem will work without any hassle.

Peter_
14-08-2009, 22:33
Cheers for the reply Moldova, I have done what you have suggested which has brought my speed back up to 10mb, will give 151 a shout and see where that gets me!!!

Ta Garry

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Just an update, spoke a nice bloke called Chris. He laughed when I said I had a webstar DPX100 and is sending an engineer out to replace the modem on Monday!! Result!

My speed is steady at 10mb for the time being, fingers crossed the new modem will work without any hassle.
I would have laughed as well because they are renowned for the drifting frequencies as they get older.

Grumpywurzel
15-08-2009, 10:31
The Mrs seems to think we have had the modem well over 10 yrs or so!!

Bigfootedfred
15-08-2009, 11:13
Roughly 20 minutes ago, both my cable modem and V+ dropped offline. It's difficult to tell what the V+ is doing, however the modem is locked to a downstream channel but is failing to "range" an upstream.

Wondered if anyone else here was experiencing this.

Thanks,
Sam

yep,

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33654105-major-long-term-outages-virgin.html

same here, cept this is tonbridge, check with your neighors and see if any of them on virgin are having the same problem for just under 4 weeks now.
Our broadband and V box, and all of our neighbors from what we can tell, all go offline , but will come on again hours later after many phone calls, had techs out 4 times now to look at the area and at first, our modem.

sammyjayuk
15-08-2009, 13:39
yep,

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33654105-major-long-term-outages-virgin.html

same here, cept this is tonbridge, check with your neighors and see if any of them on virgin are having the same problem for just under 4 weeks now.
Our broadband and V box, and all of our neighbors from what we can tell, all go offline , but will come on again hours later after many phone calls, had techs out 4 times now to look at the area and at first, our modem.

Yours is probably a different - and more localised - problem. This is perhaps the only time my VM broadband has gone down since installation in October last year.

Sam

Bigfootedfred
15-08-2009, 13:46
Yours is probably a different - and more localised - problem. This is perhaps the only time my VM broadband has gone down since installation in October last year.

Sam

Well i hope so, is working fine atm. Itll go off for hours, then work fine for longer. Is quite strange, i mean they told my it was my modem at first, i figured, yeah ok, but it just started workin on its own and all, the guy came and checked it 2 weeks ago, said it was fine. Thurs just gone they finally decided on tech support that it was an area problem, which i had been tellin em for a week, the engineers have checked the area today, for the 4th time in the last 2 weeks, i spoke to him this morning on the phone and they said they will be sending a bloke out in the afternoons for the next week or so, to check the power levels from the cabinets. so i guess they dont know whats going on either lol.

I dont, they dont, just hope it gets fixed asap.

Grumpywurzel
15-08-2009, 19:52

Sam

If memory serves this is only the second outage in 10 years or so! Not bad at all tbh

janipewter
17-08-2009, 23:30
Thought I was the only one - internet dropped for a couple of hours, thankfully TV still worked (albeit with a flashing light on the STB's)

sammyjayuk
28-08-2009, 04:16
And it's at it again, I notice...

Sam

jrwagh333
28-08-2009, 12:34
Also in Plymouth. 50meg down today since, well 10AM is when I tried to get online... Anyone else in Plymouth gone down?

sammyjayuk
28-08-2009, 19:26
This time it went down some time between 2 and 3am, and came back up between 4 and 5pm. I'm no expert but - although the symptoms on the modem seemed the same (one downstream, no upstream) - it looks like something went more seriously wrong than last time.

Is there anyone around here who knows why this happened? Twice? And whether we should expect a repeat performance on the 10th/11th? :p:

Thanks,
Sam