PDA

View Full Version : What should I do next?

mcc28
12-08-2009, 19:42
What to do next?

Hi need some help on what to do next.

We lost Broadband connection on Tuesday 4th August, could not get solid ready light on the modem. Also cannot get Iplayer as we also have a flashing signal light on all three STB's.

Did the usual contacted Virginmedia and the earliest they could get to me was Friday afternoon last week.

Had to take half day from work, engineer came and fiddled about with the box on the wall outside the house. When he left we had the signals back but by 5pm lost everything again.

Went through the contact centre and was told earliest an engineer could come was Wednesday (today). Told them that it wasn't good enough but the customer services girl refused to let us speak to anyone else.

On Saturday morning called terminations to tell them was going to close account. Spent 45 mins on phone and in the end accepted engineer visit on Monday am - another day off work.

Engineer came checked box outside fiddled with something and then said he'd done all he could he left his number and said to call him if there were anymore problems. On Tuesday morning lost all the signals again. Called engineer he said he would call us back, he didn't so we called him again. He said not to worry he was going to report the problem himself and get someone to sort it out, presumably he thinks the fault is upstream somewhere.

At 10am I called Virgin today to find out what was happening. The engineer had not reported anything to them. I rang him again and he said he would sort it out.

Heard nothing so called Virgin at 5pm today Customer Care and the person concerned said to leave it with him he would call us back within the hour.

Once again I have heard nothing. Short of booking an engineer to take out the equipment I don't know what to do?

Advice appreciated.

Sephiroth
12-08-2009, 20:53
Can VM if you can get Sky and your land line can get you a reasonable bandwidth.

Matt-08
12-08-2009, 21:58
Can VM if you can get Sky and your land line can get you a reasonable bandwidth.

Most. confusing. post. ever.

I would call 150 and go to thinking of leaving us option. Call tomorrow after 0800 to get a UK call centre. Explain that you want something done ASAP, you keep being lied to and if they can't sort it out you'll go to Sky (whether you are actually planning this or not, say it!) Also, you could stress that you've been without service and you want some sort of refund on your next bill....

Sephiroth
12-08-2009, 22:18
Most. confusing. post. ever.

I would call 150 and go to thinking of leaving us option. Call tomorrow after 0800 to get a UK call centre. Explain that you want something done ASAP, you keep being lied to and if they can't sort it out you'll go to Sky (whether you are actually planning this or not, say it!) Also, you could stress that you've been without service and you want some sort of refund on your next bill....
"Can" (the first) means bin VM. "Can" (the others) means if feasible.

The "land line" bit I admit was confusing. If you can get a BT land line and the ADSL speed is reasonable, you won't be without broadband by canning VM.

You've already called the terminations people and if you continue getting the runaround there'll come a point when you really will can VM. Will it be sooner or later?

mcc28
13-08-2009, 07:23
"Can" (the first) means bin VM. "Can" (the others) means if feasible.

The "land line" bit I admit was confusing. If you can get a BT land line and the ADSL speed is reasonable, you won't be without broadband by canning VM.

You've already called the terminations people and if you continue getting the runaround there'll come a point when you really will can VM. Will it be sooner or later?

Got through about 8pm last night, another engineer coming today to check the modem, which I explained has already been done.

The broadband connection came back again last night which it has done 2 or 3 times in the past 10 days but usually goes down after 6-12 hours or so. Still low signal on TV.

Terminations have said can't cancel till December as took V+ box in June, not sure that they explained this at the time?

I would go with BT but at the moment the cable modem and router are in the spare bedroom (historic) with a 12 port switch with various pieces of equipment connected (printer / nas / etc. The BT line would come in downstairs and it stikes me that I would have a problem connecting to the router / switch in the spare bedroom without alot of recabling -at my expense...