PDA

View Full Version : Mozy upload flattens speed, entirely.

amfuller
11-08-2009, 14:43
Hi there,

I've Mozy - rather a cool and well-working product - and when in does it's scheduled backup (say, at around 95mb a pop) my broadband speed (down) is totally screwed. If I'm doing an upload at 1.7 mbps my download drops from a constant 45-50mbps to around 17mbps. Why would the upload affect the download in such a manner?

Raistlin
11-08-2009, 14:55
Your download requires a certain amount of upstream bandwidth in order to correctly communicate with the server(s) that you're getting files from.

If you're hammering your upload then you will probably find that packets are either being lost, dropped, or simply not sent, that your downloads require in order to maintain 'state'. That is, the packets that the TCP protocol uses to tell the donload server that it has received the last packet, and it was ok, and to go ahead and send the next one (that's a fairly lame explanation of how it works, but you get the picture hopefully).

Best bet is to artificially throttle your upload in order to preserve at least some upload bandwidth to be utilised by the download processes.

heisenberg912
11-08-2009, 17:10
Your download requires a certain amount of upstream bandwidth in order to correctly communicate with the server(s) that you're getting files from.

If you're hammering your upload then you will probably find that packets are either being lost, dropped, or simply not sent, that your downloads require in order to maintain 'state'. That is, the packets that the TCP protocol uses to tell the donload server that it has received the last packet, and it was ok, and to go ahead and send the next one (that's a fairly lame explanation of how it works, but you get the picture hopefully).

Best bet is to artificially throttle your upload in order to preserve at least some upload bandwidth to be utilised by the download processes.

What Rob said. For a fast download you need a little spare upload bandwidth to tell whoever you are downloading from that everything is A-OK and to keep on sending more. Throttle your upload to say 80% of max and your download should pop right back up. :D

Ignitionnet
11-08-2009, 22:14
Quick note, 80% isn't enough throttling to recover full speed on the 50 - sadly 50% or more is best :(

heisenberg912
11-08-2009, 22:21
Quick note, 80% isn't enough throttling to recover full speed on the 50 - sadly 50% or more is best :(

Wow that is quite some throttling. If/when I get 50mb I'll be sure to keep an eye on that!