PDA

View Full Version : Should i take the retention deal? [Wolves ubr07]

Sen3ra
10-08-2009, 19:25
Heya guys.

I originally posted here a while back about my connection being unusable after 9pm due to my UBR being oversubscribed, a quick explanation is that my connection drops to 1mb everynight on the stroke of 9pm and renders my connection useless.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33650354-unusable-connection-after-9pm-wolverhampton.html#post34800203

I called VM 3/4 months ago and was told my UBR was due for an upgrade and they was just waiting on the equipment to be delivered, since then the issue has not gone away so i called up again.

This time i was told that indeed my UBR is on 100% utilisation and 2 new 50mb UBRs have been set up in my area with the plan to shift all heavy users onto them to reduce the overall demand, The technician then went onto say that only 20mb and 50mb users would be moved (Im still on 10mb with no intention of paying more) and that i would have to either pay £10 more per month for 20mb or get used to no internet between 9pm and 2am, even with the extra £10 there was no assurance that i would be moved anytime soon.

After this i was a little bit annoyed as it seemed VM dont consider £25 worthy of getting a reliable service and after 18 months now of telling them about my fault they still have no idea when/if it will ever be fixed.

I called retentions to end my contract and was first offered 20mb for £30 and then 20mb for £25, i told her that my main priority is stability and not speed so i could not be tempted, she span me a line about how i would get a better contention ratio at 20mb on my current ubr than i ever would on 10mb.

I asked to her to continue with my disconnect when i think about it. Is the deal foolish with the possible price cuts in September? Even on my current UBR would i stand to get a better connection at 100% usage at 20mb?

moaningmags
10-08-2009, 19:32
If the 20Mb customers are moved onto the new ubrs that should free up bandwith on the ubr you're currently connected to.

zing_deleted
10-08-2009, 19:50
I certainly would no accept a new contract till you knew what the score was. You could wait till the move over.
Is 50 meg not available on your area? I was under the impression that if it was then the 20 meg users will already be moved?

broadbandking
10-08-2009, 20:45
If they shift the 20Mb users your connection will get better.

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

I certainly would no accept a new contract till you knew what the score was. You could wait till the move over.
Is 50 meg not available on your area? I was under the impression that if it was then the 20 meg users will already be moved?

Wolvo has 50Mb