PDA

View Full Version : Swapmodem / router?

JPAC
10-08-2009, 09:39
Hello, VM intenet people, I received a VM letter today wanting to replace the modem for a shiny new one. My old one is a 4100 and works at 2.1MB actual download speed when the source is good. Is it worth changing?

My main reason for this post though is is looking at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wireless.html , I'm on XL 20MBpackage, it says the N router is free on XL. True/false? Does this router still have ethernet port for my other computers that don't have wireless?. Also, with it being N, can my Wi-Fi mobile phone connect at G speed?
TIA

Tech_Boy
10-08-2009, 10:00
1 yes, it is worth swapping out the old 4100
2 don't know about pricing of the routers anymore
3 yes the router has ethernet ports for hardwiring pcs that don't have wireless.
4 not sure about phone connectivity, but if it connects to your current router, I dont see any reason why it would not connect to the netgear N router, as it should be backwards compatable

Kymmy
10-08-2009, 10:01
There's no harm in changing and it's free. ;)

As for the router yes it has the usual 4 ethernet ports and N routers using 2.4Ghz are backwards compatible with G/B devices. Not sure if it's free to existing customers, but I'm sure that someone else will confirm soon enough

JPAC
10-08-2009, 11:11
It's no wonder people hate VM. Called CS and they won't give me the N router for free because I'm an existing customer but if I upgraded from L to XL they would. Having explained that's what they just did for me a few months ago, they then said that was before the current offer was 'on'. :( £50 cash if I still wanted one.

Early cancellation fee for me is £120, what a dire company. I told them they would be getting a call when the contract expiry was due.

Kymmy
10-08-2009, 11:14
So because you can't get them to break thier own terms they're dire :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JPAC
10-08-2009, 11:27
Yse, why upset existing customers, if they can afford to do that offer for some, they can do it for all.

Kymmy
10-08-2009, 11:38
Yse, why upset existing customers, if they can afford to do that offer for some, they can do it for all.

How do you work that one out?? So if a retailer gives away a few freebies then every customer deserves the same freebie??? I think I'm living on the wrong planet.

Best hope you have of getting a router is via retentions....but even then it doesn't always work out.

JPAC
10-08-2009, 12:28
CS seemed quite happy about me leaving, provided I pay the £120 for early cancellation of contract. If they can't do the offer for all, then at least the ones who ask specifically. I'll be glad to see the back of them actually.

Ben B
10-08-2009, 14:07
What's this about a free N router if you upgrade to XL? I upgraded to XL on Tuesday and the person never said I could have a free router :confused:

Kymmy
10-08-2009, 14:33
CS seemed quite happy about me leaving, provided I pay the £120 for early cancellation of contract. If they can't do the offer for all, then at least the ones who ask specifically. I'll be glad to see the back of them actually.

Goodie...more bandwidth for the rest of us :):):) ;) :p:

Peter_
10-08-2009, 14:42
What's this about a free N router if you upgrade to XL? I upgraded to XL on Tuesday and the person never said I could have a free router :confused:
You need to ring back and complain as you should get a N router as part of your package.

Ben B
10-08-2009, 15:17
You need to ring back and complain as you should get a N router as part of your package.

Just rang (got the joys of crapscada whilst on hold while it was being done) and an N Router will be here within 5-7 working days.

JPAC
10-08-2009, 15:51
Goodie...more bandwidth for the rest of us :):):) ;) :p:

With all those posts and smilies you'll be on traffic management anyway, so no more for you.

Kymmy
10-08-2009, 19:02
Nope, I don't have STM :D:D:D