PDA

View Full Version : 10Mb upload trials in Midlands

telfordcable
06-08-2009, 22:40
If anyone wanna to know where about in the midlands does virgin media going to trial 10Mbps upload speed - well I have some news for you as my virgin media tech man come this morning to fitted new cable replacement and I ask him about 10Mbps upload sped trial soon and he say "yes, it already trialing three parts in the midlands are Coventry, Birmingham and Wolverhampton and the trial seem going very well, few of them managed to hit 9.8Mbps uploading and it won't be available nationwide until 2010 2nd half".

chrispuk2004
06-08-2009, 23:12
Noone cares, or believes you. You talk crap.

horrorwood
06-08-2009, 23:14
I went to the corner shop today he say we sell paper i say i buy paper. few other people bought paper we ask man when more paper come he say tomorrow.

Xteria
06-08-2009, 23:35
^^ hahahaha

broadbandking
07-08-2009, 00:03
Calm it down lads he might be telling the truth.

chrispuk2004
07-08-2009, 00:32

And I have a ten inch penis

I don't want to get heavy handed but I'd like to point out that this IS a family orientated forum and comments like this are unnecessary.

Maggy J

telfordcable
07-08-2009, 01:04

yes i am telling the truth.

musicbravo
07-08-2009, 01:11
I'm not going to enter into the slagging off, but do you have any proof. I am in the Midlands which is a huge area (abeit i'm in sheep s****er country) and i get the normal rate. BTW i'm more of a tricky tree

Maggy
07-08-2009, 01:28
Let's also play nicely gents..;)

broadbandking
07-08-2009, 09:07

I haven't heard anything yet but I will do some digging to see if its true.

Zain
07-08-2009, 09:21
Well i am in Birmingham and havent noticed any changes in upload speed here..

broadbandking
07-08-2009, 09:46

Your not on the trial mate

AbyssUnderground
07-08-2009, 09:57

Only a set number of people are on the trial, not everyone in a particular area...

Sirius
07-08-2009, 10:08
I have 1000 meg down and 100 meg up and virgin pay me to use it.

Sorry BTW i am in telford cable dreamland land :LOL:

AbyssUnderground
07-08-2009, 10:11
A friend of mine lives in sweden and he has a 1000 down and 10 up connection and a 1000 down and 1000 up connection. It's not a dream land, its called Sweden.

Impz2002
07-08-2009, 12:56
lol, i take telfords comments with a pinch of salt. i am not denying the existence of 10meg upstream trials as it would be logical seeing as though VM have confirmed its something they are looking at but they will be very limited and only available in a confined area where the network is clean enough to provide these sort of speeds. VM's network in general is far from being in a good enough state to roll this out nationaly so i wont be holding my breath ! lol

Impz

Zain
07-08-2009, 23:10
Only a set number of people are on the trial, not everyone in a particular area...

ah i see...cool thanks for the info :D

beanie
08-08-2009, 00:12
I live in Birmingham. Need to talk to the principle tech tomorrow anyway as my nets still playing up. I will ask him the question and reply back if you like. If anyone knows, it's him!

---------- Post added at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

Impz2002, I thought there was a fly on my screen for a min then! haha

beanie
09-08-2009, 02:14
I forgot it was Saturday morning when I posted that message! Will call on Monday.

jgrove
09-08-2009, 09:20
If anyone wanna to know where about in the midlands does virgin media going to trial 10Mbps upload speed - well I have some news for you as my virgin media tech man come this morning to fitted new cable replacement and I ask him about 10Mbps upload sped trial soon and he say "yes, it already trialing three parts in the midlands are Coventry, Birmingham and Wolverhampton and the trial seem going very well, few of them managed to hit 9.8Mbps uploading and it won't be available nationwide until 2010 2nd half".

I think 10mbs upstream is a bit far fetched, the upstream data channels are normally the ones that stop working! I really cannot see the signal strength being ever that good. Unlesss they were talking about putting fibre into houses.

Peter_
09-08-2009, 09:56
I think 10mbs upstream is a bit far fetched, the upstream data channels are normally the ones that stop working! I really cannot see the signal strength being ever that good. Unlesss they were talking about putting fibre into houses.
They are trialling it on standard connections the same ones that have a 50Mb downstream so the cables are more than capable of handling thee throughput.

spiderplant
09-08-2009, 09:57
I think 10mbs upstream is a bit far fetched, the upstream data channels are normally the ones that stop working!
10Mbps upstream really is being trialled. From http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1307695&highlight=
Virgin Media will also start a new pilot to trial a range of upload speeds of up to 10Mb – much faster than the download speeds of most ADSL connections. In addition to trialling the technical capabilities of the DOCSIS 3.0 network, the trial will explore the demand for higher upstream speeds for bandwidth hungry families, on services such as video conferencing, multiplayer gaming and home working.

jtaylor06
09-08-2009, 13:33

Proof to back up Telfordcable

Upstream pilots will launch in selected areas in the North East and Midlands area. With up to 10Mb upstream a customer could expect to upload a media card full of high quality photos in as little as 2 minutes (based on a 128MB card containing 75 photos at 1.6MB each)

Read the note to editors at the bottom
http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1307695&highlight=

BenMcr
09-08-2009, 14:06
For me the issues is not the fact where the trials will be - but the fact that they are already happening and that a tech would know the rollout details at this stage

Ignitionnet
09-08-2009, 15:12
It isn't trialling anywhere yet and it's incredibly unlikely that a service tech would know where it is going to be trialled at this time given that the deployment areas aren't fully known to those who would be deploying it yet.

Dudley is actually a reasonable bet for the Midlands site given that it was largely rebuilt and had enormous amounts of work done on it in prep for 50Mbit, which is good news for you Broadbandking :)

PS Greets from New York :)

broadbandking
09-08-2009, 21:40
It isn't trialling anywhere yet and it's incredibly unlikely that a service tech would know where it is going to be trialled at this time given that the deployment areas aren't fully known to those who would be deploying it yet.

Dudley is actually a reasonable bet for the Midlands site given that it was largely rebuilt and had enormous amounts of work done on it in prep for 50Mbit, which is good news for you Broadbandking :)

PS Greets from New York :)

Did I hear my name, I have yet to be advised on the trial dates or areas yet however I should find out as soon as they are annouced.

O and by the way the upstream will be using channel bonding so it is very easy for VM to achieve 10Mb upload speed.

Ignitionnet
09-08-2009, 23:06
Did I hear my name, I have yet to be advised on the trial dates or areas yet however I should find out as soon as they are annouced.

O and by the way the upstream will be using channel bonding so it is very easy for VM to achieve 10Mb upload speed.

Nope upstream bonding isn't expected to be ready on the Motorola and Cisco kit until Q1 / Q2 2010 - the 10Mbit will be done using single upstreams at least until then, >=16QAM 6.4MHz wide channels which will in some areas require plant upgrades. This is all good though, those upgrades would have to happen anyway and a nice project like this to keep ahead of BT's FTTC is a good incentive :)

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

lol, i take telfords comments with a pinch of salt. i am not denying the existence of 10meg upstream trials as it would be logical seeing as though VM have confirmed its something they are looking at but they will be very limited and only available in a confined area where the network is clean enough to provide these sort of speeds. VM's network in general is far from being in a good enough state to roll this out nationaly so i wont be holding my breath ! lol

Impz

Actually VM tend to do this stuff in an area where it's really easy and an area which will require work so that they can get a better idea of what is required. True VM's network isn't in a good enough state but the amount of noise that's been made people will be expecting it to happen and VM will just have to pay up to make it happen.

roughbeast
10-08-2009, 14:29

I'm in Coventry. I was their 2nd. 50mb connection. I am not part of any 10mb upload trial.

Ignitionnet
10-08-2009, 14:47
I'm actually finding myself wondering what his personal 'My Virgin Media tech man' was doing fitting a 'new cable replacement' and what this cable he was replacing was. Seems a strange use of a VM staffer's time doing a 'new cable replacement' unless a repull in which case I'd have expected to see OP posting on here complaining of substandard service if this 'new cable replacement' were so needed.

Of course I'm also interested in how a service tech would know what the trials team are doing and how those trials are going, especially give that the trials haven't started yet.

EDIT: That was unfair. So troll or gullible, you decide I guess.

zing_deleted
10-08-2009, 15:35
with a bit of luck they will see sunny Nuneaton as an option for the trial lol

AtW
11-08-2009, 09:25
Just had 50 Mbits installed in Birmingham area - upstream is 1.75 mbits (which is good), but not 10 Mbits, so trial at this stage (if it runs) does not include everyone with 50 Mbits in that area.

I'd certainly love to see 10 Mbits upstream.

|Kippa|
11-08-2009, 10:16
I know that the docsis 3 standard can handle fast upload speeds, but what about the infrastructure of Virgin Media's current network? In its current state could it realistically handle 10mbit upload rate for 50mbit users? Or would they need some serious internal network upgrades to handle the fast upload rates if they were to bring them out for the 50mbit users?

AtW
11-08-2009, 14:09
DOCSIS 3 is the upgrade of network - AFAIK it is parallel to current old network, which is why Virgin wants to shift high users to it in order to ease congestion on UBRs. Fair play - so long as they keep STM off top tier service.

CAZXX1`
11-08-2009, 14:20
hi, how do you know when it has been upgraded cheers

AtW
11-08-2009, 14:32
They should only offer you 50 Mbits if your area was upgraded - try checking it on Virgin Media site or give them call.

CAZXX1`
11-08-2009, 14:41
it was but how do you check it on the computer

Impz2002
11-08-2009, 15:29
www.virginmedia.com/50/

Sirius
11-08-2009, 16:52

So do i take it that yet again there has been miss information spread by a well known poster caller Walter Mitty sorry i mean telfordcable :)

broadbandking
11-08-2009, 18:38
He's not wrong about one things and thats the trial in the Midlands, to be honest I can see Dudley been a area as broadbandings has pointed out so we will have to wait and see.

Sirius
11-08-2009, 18:52
He's not wrong about one things and thats the trial in the Midlands, to be honest I can see Dudley been a area as broadbandings has pointed out so we will have to wait and see.

However would i be right in saying that the trial has not started yet ?

Ignitionnet
11-08-2009, 22:20
However would i be right in saying that the trial has not started yet ?

*Nods*

50Mbit hasn't been 100% completed yet, and one thing at a time...

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

DOCSIS 3 is the upgrade of network - AFAIK it is parallel to current old network, which is why Virgin wants to shift high users to it in order to ease congestion on UBRs. Fair play - so long as they keep STM off top tier service.

Nope DOCSIS 3 is running downstream but there's no channel bonding upstream and the upstreams VM are using are DOCSIS 1.1 standard and cannot support 10Mbit.

Upstreams need to be upgraded to DOCSIS 2 for 10Mbit without bonding or DOCSIS 3 silver to bond, VM network is DOCSIS 3 bronze at the moment.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

I know that the docsis 3 standard can handle fast upload speeds, but what about the infrastructure of Virgin Media's current network? In its current state could it realistically handle 10mbit upload rate for 50mbit users? Or would they need some serious internal network upgrades to handle the fast upload rates if they were to bring them out for the 50mbit users?

Some areas will absolutely require local / HFC network upgrades to support 10Mbit.

dd11
27-08-2009, 13:46
Has anybody heard anything more recently regarding 10mb upload trials/happenings?

It would be amazing for that speed.

Ignitionnet
27-08-2009, 15:04
It still hasn't started yet. Nothing more to say at the moment.

EDIT: Unless you believe Telford in which case it would appear that half the Midlands is having it trialled while in the rest of the country there are no trials of it and the trials teams aren't aware of any ongoing trials of it so it's being done in such secrecy that VM themselves don't know they are trialling it. All is not lost however as Telford and his personal service tech know all so it's all good.

*sloman*
27-08-2009, 17:06
lol Telfordcable is funny the forum wouldn't be them same without him. I sometimes actively look for threads started by him as you know within 30seconds it going to have 10 responses telling him he is wrong lol

BenRichards
02-09-2009, 14:15

Fantastic. I'm on a dudley UBR :)

keyholder
02-09-2009, 21:07
with a bit of luck they will see sunny Nuneaton as an option for the trial lol

I doubt ol treacle town will get anything !

Well except for more Uncapped modems in the pairs, and dodgy tv box's

Delived by Ur local chav supplier. :D Via cash converters :D:D