PDA

View Full Version : 6 Weeks and now they tell me it can't be done.

VirginAreNumptys
04-08-2009, 15:34
To summarise here is the email i just sent to Virgin:

Dear Sirs,
Forgive the unsolicited email - I thought I would have one last attempt to find a person who might be able to help though I find this doubtful considering the service thus far offered by some of your esteemed colleagues.

I live at:
Macclesfield
Cheshire
SK11 ***

Some 6 weeks ago I paid for and ordered (Over £100 Deposit) your services.

My neighbours have your services and the cable runs past my front door - as I simply needed to be connected to the existing line the installation was booked for 3 days! WOW - after BT this was amazing - I suppose I should have known better.

After 2 cancelled installations (Only one of which I was informed by yourselves of its booking and subsequent cancellation) and a 6 week wait I find after an hour on hold trying to get a human being that the install is not going to be done.

Amused I am not I think you will understand after waiting 6 weeks for phone/tv/broadband and cancelling my Sky.

I know a little about cabling - blocked ducts etc, and this was the reason given for delayed installation (Which is fine if I was actually informed) - as yet no one will tell me why the installation will now not happen at all.

As the first set of numptys who came out didn't so much as open a hole cover I'm curious as to how they know a duct is blocked and digging was required, I'm even more curiuos that for 6 weeks they have been waiting for council permission to T piece off the line and dig the pavement up and yet when I spoke to the council today they had received no such request…

I could flesh out the details but that’s about the sum of it.

My mobile - if you exist - 079********

jungleguy
05-08-2009, 08:22
Hi Sorry to here about your issues.
Blocked ducting can be an issue, generally it can be easily resolved. The blockage may well be at any point from your property to the street cabinet, and there maybe many chambers that the pulling crew lifted to rod.
If the blockage is in the carriageway (road) the chances are the work won't get carried out.
If you live in a CID fed area, (the worst design of a cable network ever ever in the whole world) The chances are there is no physical capacity to pull another cable through it. CID fed is where you have a small duct in a larger duct.

Has your property had cable services before? Was your property built at a same time as all the other properties in your street? or been converted?
cheers

VirginAreNumptys
05-08-2009, 09:29
HI -
Its a row of 6 Terraces - Victorian
Street was dug up only a few years ago along the edge of the pavement for a line to be laid - the second guy said that all they had to do was lift the paving slabs to the front of my door to lay the extra 1m of cabling required to come off that line and go to a box at the house.

They told me they would have to wait for the councils permission to lift this section of pavement - thats what they've been telling me for four weeks - rang the council who had never recieved any such request.

I emailed Neils office and one of his girls is looking into it.

jungleguy
05-08-2009, 09:55
it takes 5 days to get an opening up order from the council, but if the blockage is in the road, VM deem this work to be too expensive and so it won't go ahead.
Ahhh, do cars mount the pavement when parking in your street. If so the problem may well be cars being on the chamber covers, so preventing a cable being pulled.