PDA

View Full Version : Wrongly told shes a heavy user?

Welshchris
04-08-2009, 01:34
A friend of mine has 20mb Broadband, She has a Laptop and so does her 15 year old son and her son also plays his Xbox 360 online.

Shes been getting really bad speeds lately a max of around 7mb at the most.

she rang Virgin and Virgin claim that it was due to STM and she said how can STM account for the fact her speeds are awful eve at night and sometimes even when they come back from being away and no one has used the internet as its been switched off its really slow.

They said they would get someone to ring her back which they did the following day and told her that she was a "Heavy user" as she uses around 6-9GB of bandwith a day, they didnt tell her she needed to cut back but she thought the way he was telling her thats what he meant and if so i think this is out of order. Her connection still hasnt improved and its on going as they reckon signal is all ok and she has even tried connecting laptop via ethernet and still the same problem so its not the wireless connection.

Jabbs
04-08-2009, 08:15
I would think there is a issue really 6-9 gig a day is a tiny amount, hell i bet most on these forums hit up around 20 gig a day easy.

MovedGoalPosts
04-08-2009, 08:19
6 - 8 gig is quite a lot. It suggests there is a lot of stuff being downloaded there if you considere that the average 1 hour TV show would be less than 1 gig unless it's in high definition.

Is the wireless secure? Does the mother know what here 15 year old is actually doing with the net, or just trusting what he says ;)

broadbandking
04-08-2009, 08:32
I can't see how Virgin would STM a account, best call up again I think she has been fed BS pie.

Kymmy
04-08-2009, 09:14
Even so STM would be 5Mb, not 7Mb. Sounds more like over subscription or an actual problem than STM...

Also I presume the 7Mb is when the other laptop and the xbox is turned off as you can't exactly do a speedtest on one PC if the others are also using bandwidth.

And lastly as always check the speed when connected directly to the modem as WiFi and even a wired router has been known to slow things down.

RoachycaL
04-08-2009, 11:40
Im getting pretty much the same problem, not downloading then getting capped at 1mb - Ive started a thread about it and rang virgin and had no real help from them yet :(

Kymmy
04-08-2009, 11:41
Not the same problem, If you're capped then you'll get 5Mb down and 192Kb up..

RoachycaL
04-08-2009, 11:51
Im getting capped supposedly at 5mb even though I download nothing through the day (Im out of the house) - thats one problem

Second problem is, Im actually getting capped at 1mb when that happens not 5

Peter_
04-08-2009, 11:54
Im getting capped supposedly at 5mb even though I download nothing through the day (Im out of the house) - thats one problem

Second problem is, Im actually getting capped at 1mb when that happens not 5
If on 20Mb you will only be capped to 5Mb as Kymmy said, you must have a fault somewhere as I said on your thread and you need to call in when it occurs for us to check it out.

RoachycaL
04-08-2009, 11:57
Yeah you're right, I know. I don't want to disturb this thread anymore but I'm getting capped at 5mb when I'm not even using the net, that's how it relates to this original poster.

Peter_
04-08-2009, 11:58
Yeah you're right, I know. I don't want to disturb this thread anymore but I'm getting capped at 5mb when I'm not even using the net, that's how it relates to this original poster.
You need to call in over that as well.

psyfur
04-08-2009, 13:11
6 - 8 gig is quite a lot. It suggests there is a lot of stuff being downloaded there if you considere that the average 1 hour TV show would be less than 1 gig unless it's in high definition.

Is the wireless secure? Does the mother know what here 15 year old is actually doing with the net, or just trusting what he says ;)

Hell I'm a heavy user on a 10Mb line. I download 40-50 Gigs a night but I do play by VM's STM rules, I start DL-ing at 9pm and finish at 10am. Arn't I a good person! :angel:

broadbandking
04-08-2009, 13:15
Well done to you Psyfur :clap:

psyfur
04-08-2009, 13:18
Do I win a prize?

Welshchris
04-08-2009, 15:56

its secure and yes she does know what shes doing, a lot of the bandwith is used by his online gaming. Even if the son was to blame for the STM it still doesnt account for why its slow in early mornings and why its slow when the connection hasnt been used in days.

+ as people have suggested on here 6-8gb a day is nothing compared to some and when i say day i dont mean for example from 9am to 9pm i mean from midnight to midnight a full 24hrs even outside of the STM where heavy downloads r done.

zantarous
04-08-2009, 16:20
There is no way even if you spent a whole day on Xbox live you would use that much bandwith. I would try the Virgins support via the newsgroup.

sniper007
04-08-2009, 16:23
Do I win a prize?

LOL, phone up retentions and demand 50mb because your such a good boy downloading at those times. ;) I do the same on my 10mb and I'm very happy with it. Do you automatically schedule downloads using torrent clients and if so how?

psyfur
05-08-2009, 14:47
LOL, phone up retentions and demand 50mb because your such a good boy downloading at those times. ;) I do the same on my 10mb and I'm very happy with it. Do you automatically schedule downloads using torrent clients and if so how?

I don't use torrents, I would hate to have the Police/Anti Pirating feckers kicking my door in. It's all about Usenet/Newsgroups and I can set my app to come on and come off at set times.

I get 1.2 Mbs downloading which is amazing for the price!

cook1984
06-08-2009, 18:34
Virgin is rubbish in the evenings in many areas, period. Nothing to do with STM, they simply can't cope.

BenMcr
06-08-2009, 18:39
You seem to be making lots of comments this evening without any proof.

Had a bad day?

Rik
06-08-2009, 19:07
Virgin is rubbish in the evenings in many areas, period. Nothing to do with STM, they simply can't cope.

But brilliant in others ;)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/40.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

This will show in the Samknows trial results im sure ;) which a few of us are participating in.......