PDA

View Full Version : wireless & wired at same time ?

deakin
01-08-2009, 21:04
Hello again folks,

I know less than nothing about routers, i've never had one so i'm looking for a little info before i upgrade to 50Mb.

I have two pc's one in each bedroom with the virgin connection point being in bedroom one with my current modem. When i get the router will i be able to have my main pc wired to the router and have the second pc in the other bedroom wireless with the dongle ? can i mix & match so to speak or does both connections have to be wireless ?

Thanks for any help.

Wonnov Menny
01-08-2009, 21:08
You can mix and match. You can run many wifi connections at the same time in addition to using the 4 ethernet ports on the router.

Also, if you need any more ethernet ports you can just install a switch/hub or you can also use powerline networking plugs to get ethernet into the furthest reaches of your home.

Ben B
01-08-2009, 21:09
Yes, you can have up to four computers connected directly to the router via ethernet and use wireless at the same time :)

Sephiroth
01-08-2009, 21:11
You can run wireless and wired PCs through the router at the same time. They will simply share your cable modem's bandwidth.

deakin
01-08-2009, 21:15
Brilliant !!!

Thanks for all the replys.

Xteria
01-08-2009, 21:47
I found the dongle to be really slow, even in the same room :|