PDA

View Full Version : Coming to the end of 12 month contract...

TheOne
01-08-2009, 13:04
Hi

Ive been with VM (NTL) for around 10 years now, had the 3 for £30 for years.

When the contract ends in September, i will be switching to a BT line and ADSL BB (as i live a couple of streets away from the exchange, so will still get a good speed and price will be cheaper)

Will i be able to disconnect/remove the thick VM BB cable and VM landline cables from the carpet and the little box in the living room? to make space for the new BT line etc as i dont want the carpets and walls full of wires??

Im asking as my dad is convinced thats he's read in the VM T&C's that he'll never be allowed to touch the wires, even after your 12 month contract ends, as it will always remain the property of VM regardless of where you go after your contract? :confused: :confused:

Anyone shed any light on this please

Thanks

musicbravo
01-08-2009, 13:11
With regard to ADSL speed i am guessing you have read the latest OfCOM report on broadband speed?

With regard wires, i'm not entirely sure.

Milambar
01-08-2009, 13:13
I would expect that once your contract ends with VM, then you are free to do what you wish with their wires, up to but not crossing your property line. However, someone with better knowlege will know better.

TheOne
01-08-2009, 13:16
With regard to ADSL speed i am guessing you have read the latest OfCOM report on broadband speed?

With regard wires, i'm not entirely sure.

Whats the latest on ADSL speed ? :confused:

badhairday
01-08-2009, 13:29
Its your home so you can do what you like with the installed equipement even within a contract, right up to the property line unless you share external units. IE if it is a house divided into two flats.
Once the contract is over you can return the equipement to VM or bin it.

azcomposer
01-08-2009, 13:32
Whats the latest on ADSL speed ? :confused:

The latest is, they are all a waste of time and you never get the speed they advertise. Whilst I realise that you will never get the full speed unless you are sat on top of the exchange, all this "up to 8Mbits" is indeed "up to".

I used to be with BeThere, and they have their own equipment at the exchange. I got 8Mbits even though I was 3 miles from exchange and 1:1 contention too. However, after years of 3 services (TV, Phone and Internet), decided to go cable. I am actually paying more simply because of max phone and max internet, but in the end I would have ended up paying far less, and more speed on the BB.

ADSL is limited because of the copper wires. That is what ADSL is - internet through copper wires. Cable, well, that's fibreoptic = speed of light.

TheOne
01-08-2009, 13:56
The latest is, they are all a waste of time and you never get the speed they advertise. Whilst I realise that you will never get the full speed unless you are sat on top of the exchange, all this "up to 8Mbits" is indeed "up to".

I used to be with BeThere, and they have their own equipment at the exchange. I got 8Mbits even though I was 3 miles from exchange and 1:1 contention too. However, after years of 3 services (TV, Phone and Internet), decided to go cable. I am actually paying more simply because of max phone and max internet, but in the end I would have ended up paying far less, and more speed on the BB.

ADSL is limited because of the copper wires. That is what ADSL is - internet through copper wires. Cable, well, that's fibreoptic = speed of light.

One of my neighbours moved from VM to an BT line/ADSL and he gets around 7Mbps, so i'd be happy with that

Thanks for the info so far guys about removing the BB cables and VM telephone lines from the walls outside the house and inside the house, will help make things neater aswell. Anyone else know anything more about this ?