PDA

View Full Version : 50mb - router supplied ?

Spooky_uk
31-07-2009, 15:01
Got a 50mb install on Aug 8th. I know you get a router with the install. I have a new Linksys WRT320N which is Wirless N and also 4 port gigabit switch as well. How does this compare to the supplied router (I am guessing the linksys will be "better") and should use the netgear a a spare just in case.
Advice? Thanks.

bigsinky
31-07-2009, 15:13
keep the netgear as a spare. use the linksys.

Jabbs
31-07-2009, 20:56
I have had no issues with the supplied router i use it wired and it doesn't fail to give me 6230kbs download.

BenMcr
31-07-2009, 21:27
They are swapping routers. Any XXL installs after the 4th will come with a D-Link, not a Netgear

PaulH225
31-07-2009, 21:34
Dang it, don't suppose they'll let us swap the Netgear will they? :) Mine's already had to be rebooted twice since it stopped routing (web interface was still accessible, but not CM web interface) and I only got upgraded on Saturday. Which D-Link out of curiosity? I'm guessing it'll be the DIR-615 as that's comparable spec to the WNR2000?

saabmania2
01-08-2009, 13:13
BenMcr,
do you know which model of D-link it is and are you gaurenteed?? to get one after the 4th or will it be hit and miss until they run out of stock of the netgear version.
as i would like to order the 50mb this month but can't stand netgear, also do you know the extra price for the 50mb service with the vip pack
tia :)

BenMcr
01-08-2009, 13:31
I would say it is pretty much guaranteed after the 4th to get a D-Link. I don't know the model off hand but I post it on Monday (if someone else doesn't beforehand)

As for the VIP price, again as soon as I know I'll post it

saabmania2
01-08-2009, 13:46
ok thanks mate :)

sorrowuk
01-08-2009, 14:43
Im getting 50mb installed on the 5th August so you think i'll get a D-Link then ?

BenMcr how do you know virgin are using d-link after the 4th where did you find this out?
Do you work for virginmedia or something ?

Also I read somewhere its the D-Link DIR-615 is that true?

Peter_
01-08-2009, 17:10
Customers will continue to get the Netgear router until all stock runs out then they will start sending the new router out.

So if you get a WNR2000 Netgear router after the 4th August then do not ring in to complain as it is still fully suppoted by Virginmedia.

sorrowuk
01-08-2009, 18:42
Customers will continue to get the Netgear router until all stock runs out then they will start sending the new router out.

So if you get a WNR2000 Netgear router after the 4th August then do not ring in to complain as it is still fully suppoted by Virginmedia.

If we have problems with the netgear router and I'm getting loads of problems, is it not possible to swap it out for the d-link ?

Peter_
01-08-2009, 22:36
If we have problems with the netgear router and I'm getting loads of problems, is it not possible to swap it out for the d-link ?
If the router was to be swapped out for a fault you would receive whatever was in stock up until they run out of the Netgear WNR2000.

NEONKNIGHT
04-08-2009, 15:21
They are swapping routers. Any XXL installs after the 4th will come with a D-Link, not a Netgear

Just had the 50Mb install today 4th August but I have still not received the wireless router via the post..... wonder if the netgear stock has run out??? :)

Peter_
04-08-2009, 19:50
Just had the 50Mb install today 4th August but I have still not received the wireless router via the post..... wonder if the netgear stock has run out??? :)
You will get whatever is on the shelf in the warehouse, do not leave it to long before calling in and asking where your router has got to.

sorrowuk
05-08-2009, 00:16
I thought the engineer brings the router and modem ? Is this not the case ?

BenMcr
05-08-2009, 00:21
It should be the case if the agent has booked the order correctly

Peter_
05-08-2009, 06:59
It should be the case if the agent has booked the order correctly
Quite as some even forget to to include the USB adaptor.:D

NEONKNIGHT
05-08-2009, 17:58
You will get whatever is on the shelf in the warehouse, do not leave it to long before calling in and asking where your router has got to.

Phoned this afternoon, no order for the router had been placed.:erm:

A lack of communication to blame on the part of the agent? Read on...

When the engineer called yesterday to install he was not sure whether it was a 20Mb or 50Mb install. I showed him the welcome pack letter which stated 50Mb. He then said he did not have a new 50Mb modem with him, so he went off to find a collegue in the area with one in his van. He came back after 20 minutes or so with the modem and then did the install.

He then asked for the router and I told him it had not arrived - at this point the engineer should have phoned to check whether one had been sent/ordered, if not, he should have got one from his van (he said he had some but was not willing to get one as he said one would have had been ordered, which I now know, was not the case) but he did not do this.

The up-shot is that a router is now on its way, being delivered by UPS in around 3 days, after myself calling to check with VM this afternoon.

So, bad communication on part of the agent and *slightly* bad customer help/support by the engineer.

Still happy with the 50Mb broadband, even though things could have run smoother. ;)

Peter_
05-08-2009, 18:28
Phoned this afternoon, no order for the router had been placed.:erm:

A lack of communication to blame on the part of the agent? Read on...

When the engineer called yesterday to install he was not sure whether it was a 20Mb or 50Mb install. I showed him the welcome pack letter which stated 50Mb. He then said he did not have a new 50Mb modem with him, so he went off to find a collegue in the area with one in his van. He came back after 20 minutes or so with the modem and then did the install.

He then asked for the router and I told him it had not arrived - at this point the engineer should have phoned to check whether one had been sent/ordered, if not, he should have got one from his van (he said he had some but was not willing to get one as he said one would have had been ordered, which I now know, was not the case) but he did not do this.

The up-shot is that a router is now on its way, being delivered by UPS in around 3 days, after myself calling to check with VM this afternoon.

So, bad communication on part of the agent and *slightly* bad customer help/support by the engineer.

Still happy with the 50Mb broadband, even though things could have run smoother. ;)
Make sure that it comes complete with the wireless N USB adaptor as that is also part of the package, if not in the box you will need to call back again to get one ordered.

sorrowuk
05-08-2009, 19:28
The new d-link wireless router and adapter is now up on the virginmedia website

Look here - http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wireless.html - Under wireless N

Guess this will be getting used soon. Alot better :)

looper35uk
05-08-2009, 20:20
I would say it is pretty much guaranteed after the 4th to get a D-Link. I don't know the model off hand but I post it on Monday (if someone else doesn't beforehand)

As for the VIP price, again as soon as I know I'll post it

Installs and service tech are still receiving Netgear routers when their stock is replenished. So i would put that "guaranteed" off for a few weeks.

PAYNEARDO
05-08-2009, 20:37

Glad its not just me, mines stopped working completly now :( the cable modem and interent port are not talking to each other :dozey:

NEONKNIGHT
05-08-2009, 21:50
Make sure that it comes complete with the wireless N USB adaptor as that is also part of the package, if not in the box you will need to call back again to get one ordered.

Will do!

Cheers.;)

lowei
05-08-2009, 22:14
The new d-link wireless router and adapter is now up on the virginmedia website

Look here - http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wireless.html - Under wireless N

Guess this will be getting used soon. Alot better :)

What model is the d-link??????

BenMcr
05-08-2009, 22:15
This one http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=565

NEONKNIGHT
07-08-2009, 18:47
Router and adapter was delivered today by UPS - the Netgear equipment:erm:

No significant problems to report.

LOL!

bubblegun
07-08-2009, 23:50
Got 50meg today and it was Netgear WNR2000 Router and wireless adapter.

WallaceTech
08-08-2009, 00:05
Just been reading this post. Do you think i need to phone VM and check to see if the modem router will be sent out to me? i have my install on the 14th

Craig

Ben B
08-08-2009, 00:16
Just been reading this post. Do you think i need to phone VM and check to see if the modem router will be sent out to me? i have my install on the 14th

Craig

They install the modem and they sometimes send you the router or sometimes they bring it with them.

Spooky_uk
08-08-2009, 08:34
Just had the install. In reference to my original post when connected directly to PC getting 47megish. when connected through the Linksysy WRT320N (wired) it drops to between 30-39mb. not sure where the problem lies yet....

Rik
08-08-2009, 08:36
It was the case here, the engineers had all the items onboard when they carried out my install.

Zhadnost
08-08-2009, 09:41
This one http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=565

Gotta love those 10/100Mbit ports.

ic2
08-08-2009, 18:59

Mine is being upgraded from 20mb to 50mb on the 14th also but I have had nothing in writing - can someone let me know if I should have?

PaulH225
09-08-2009, 09:55
Mine is being upgraded from 20mb to 50mb on the 14th also but I have had nothing in writing - can someone let me know if I should have?

Never had anything in writing for mine. I would assume if you're changing bundle and starting a new contract then they would send you something. But I just upgraded the broadband and left the rest the same so no new 12 month contract.

Peter_
09-08-2009, 09:58
Never had anything in writing for mine. I would assume if you're changing bundle and starting a new contract then they would send you something. But I just upgraded the broadband and left the rest the same so no new 12 month contract.
If you have upgraded to 50Mb then you will have automatically been put on a new 12 month contract, call Customer Services and they will confirm it.

ic2
09-08-2009, 11:19
Thanks for the update

PaulH225
10-08-2009, 19:45
If you have upgraded to 50Mb then you will have automatically been put on a new 12 month contract, call Customer Services and they will confirm it.

Seriously? I specifically asked if it would be a new 12 month contract and the guy said only if I went for the Triple XL bundle with an XXL upgrade which was about 3 quid a month more rather than the 6 quid a month more. Obviously there's a new 12 month contract for the broadband, but surely the other services are unaffected?

Peter_
10-08-2009, 19:49
Seriously? I specifically asked if it would be a new 12 month contract and the guy said only if I went for the Triple XL bundle with an XXL upgrade which was about 3 quid a month more rather than the 6 quid a month more. Obviously there's a new 12 month contract for the broadband, but surely the other services are unaffected?
I expect just for the broadband unless you upgraded any other services.

PaulH225
10-08-2009, 21:41
I expect just for the broadband unless you upgraded any other services.

Fair enough, though he did say no new 12 month contract with just upgrading the broadband. I figured there would be one for the broadband since there was one when I upgraded to V+ a couple of years back and it was pointed out when I did the upgrade. Thanks for the clarification though.

Peter_
10-08-2009, 21:49
Fair enough, though he did say no new 12 month contract with just upgrading the broadband. I figured there would be one for the broadband since there was one when I upgraded to V+ a couple of years back and it was pointed out when I did the upgrade. Thanks for the clarification though.
It is in the Legal stuff section at the bottom of this link

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/speed.html

Also see Section H paragraph 1 in this link.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html