PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear...

mikegreen
30-07-2009, 08:45
About to move to a new flat. Tomorrow! :shocked:
Will be joining VM on 03/08 (Install date)
Was at our new place yesterday and whilst looking out the front window spotted a couple of VM staff outside digging up and rolling cable around. Great thought I, they are ahead of the game here.
Started to worry when they both started to take pictures of the work they were doing...turns out that "Thames Water have buggered up the Virgin network cables" and "It'll take a little longer than three days for you to get hooked on".
:erm:

Kymmy
30-07-2009, 09:21
Welcome to the forum,

They weren't there early as a day or three before installation the cables are checked to see if everything outside of the property grounds is OK for installation within the property and it's grounds.

mikegreen
30-07-2009, 09:39
Welcome to the forum,

They weren't there early as a day or three before installation the cables are checked to see if everything outside of the property grounds is OK for installation within the property and it's grounds.

Hello Kymmy. Good to be here :)

Just hope that what the crew discovered yesterday does not hold things up majorly!

mikegreen
30-07-2009, 13:38
Just got off the 'phone to VM and there is no note against my details regarding the buggered cabling?
Have been advised just to carry on and expect to have VM installed on Monday.
Fingers (and legs) crossed!

mikegreen
05-08-2009, 09:43
Been told I need to be re-pulled (the cable not me).
Was given a vague timescale of a "week and a half" two days ago and "we'll ring you with a new install date".
At least I have a Welcome Pack if not any services... :-(

mikegreen
05-08-2009, 12:26
Bad to worse.
Rang to enquire how long it will take and it's "up to six weeks"
Now it's a case of either waiting it out (with no BT line, so no home phone and dodgy aerial reception in flat so only two channel TV) or cancelling. :(
Is it really going to take so long or is this just a guesstimate??
btw my local council has already granted permission for the digging.

mikegreen
10-08-2009, 13:27
Still none the wiser... Have tried twice to get some kind of timescale out of VM but seemingly nobody can give a straightforward response. Now awaiting a call from an Installation Manager at some point in the next 24(!) hours.

mikegreen
11-08-2009, 11:07
The latest in the saga. Knowing full well nobody would call me back I telephoned again.
Got the obligatory "I'll just put you on hold" and the operative came back with "well we can book you in for the 18th for your install". Now I just knew that he was unaware of the re-pull situation so I told him that I was told a re-pull was necessary prior to an install. Put on hold again. "Oh yes..." and "Has someone called at your property today?". Well if they have I'm at work so none the wiser.
I'll now be called back sometime in the next FORTY EIGHT HOURS... not impressed!!!

MovedGoalPosts
11-08-2009, 16:13
You probably won't know when a repull occurs. It's simply the cable between the street cabinet and termination box on the outside of your property. That is unless they have to start digging your front garden to bury the cable as they can't pull though the plastic tube that should have been buried already.

Only once the cable is in place will they be booking your appointment for the install itself.

ShaneC
11-08-2009, 16:30
All I can say mikegreen is it will be worth the wait.....hopefully not a long wait. What services are you taking on?

mikegreen
11-08-2009, 16:36
You probably won't know when a repull occurs. It's simply the cable between the street cabinet and termination box on the outside of your property. That is unless they have to start digging your front garden to bury the cable as they can't pull though the plastic tube that should have been buried already.

Only once the cable is in place will they be booking your appointment for the install itself.

Thanks for the reply :)
Well there is no garden as such out front.
There are a few paving slabs outside (beneath) our living room window then a wall against the street/pavement with the "CATV" outlet sitting right up against the wall.
The street cabinet appears to be a few yards further down our road.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

All I can say mikegreen is it will be worth the wait.....hopefully not a long wait. What services are you taking on?

Well I hope it is all worth the wait! :)

I'm on M PHONE (not big home phone users), M TV (we watch enough TV as it is. Having more and better channels would be dangerous!), and XL BB.

Was almost going to go for the 50MB BB.

brundles
11-08-2009, 23:31
I agree with ShaneC on this one mikegreen.

Despite the couple of moans I've had on here, I have to say that the VM BB has been both more reliable than my friends on ADSL and also runs at the flat out connection speed quite happily all the time.

For the two faults I've had in 6 years the problems were more with getting the right person dealing with it than anything else - something quickly resolved by using the newsgroups.

Given a choice I wouldn't go anywhere except VM for broadband in the future.

mikegreen
13-08-2009, 11:49
I agree with ShaneC on this one mikegreen.

Despite the couple of moans I've had on here, I have to say that the VM BB has been both more reliable than my friends on ADSL and also runs at the flat out connection speed quite happily all the time.

For the two faults I've had in 6 years the problems were more with getting the right person dealing with it than anything else - something quickly resolved by using the newsgroups.

Given a choice I wouldn't go anywhere except VM for broadband in the future.

Hello brundles...I do hope you are right.

At the risk of boring everybody rigid :dozey:
I chased and have been given a date of 18/08 for my install.
Which is nice but...nobody I spoke to (being put on hold twice and having to listen to "The Man In The Mirror" about ninety nine times!) had any record of a repull happening which worries me slightly. I would have thought there would be a "Notes" section on my account where this type of thing would be logged?
We live in hope.

mikegreen
18-08-2009, 13:37
I just knew this was going to happen. No show!!
And guess why? "There is some remedial work that needs doing (i.e. the repull) before we can install your services". I mean C'MON!!
I queried the fact that an install had been booked when I was told a repull was necessary first with TWO different CS operatives and was told that it was fine and the install was going ahead. One even said that an install could not be booked with outstanding construction pending!
I have never had a call from the mythical "Construction" dept yet, despite having been promised one three times. STOP PRESS - just been promised another call from Construction now according to the CS operative who just returned my call of a few minutes ago (a first may I add), So here I am almost a month on from ordering and fifteen quid lighter due to having to listen to MJ on a loop each time I call from my mobile and no further along seemingly.
Fuming ATM (to put it politely)
:mad:

virgin_tech
18-08-2009, 19:28
well i was gonna start with LOL! but ill skip that one lol..

sorry to here about ur grief. if you have read any off my posts u will know i dont hold any esteem for NTL, it contractors or CS.. oh and some managers and techs... mmm ill stop now..

right who can we blame for this...

Customer services - when u phone them most agree and nod, they dont fill in details (we don't even get em) thats if some can actually type...

install Contractors - may not get the right info,, and when they do, some are plain (pass the buck) useless, unfortunately you have had the pleasure in dealing with the SOME!!

things to look forward too.. when finally it is sorted you will have a great service ..you may have a few problems, phoning CS who tell you ther are problems in the area, or they will call you back, hehe.

after some length of time and all done.. years down the line this pain will be a distant past...

main good thing.. all the tech calls are free to you.. if you had this problem with anyone else would cost you a fortune :)

webcrawler2050
19-08-2009, 01:47
I just knew this was going to happen. No show!!
And guess why? "There is some remedial work that needs doing (i.e. the repull) before we can install your services". I mean C'MON!!
I queried the fact that an install had been booked when I was told a repull was necessary first with TWO different CS operatives and was told that it was fine and the install was going ahead. One even said that an install could not be booked with outstanding construction pending!
I have never had a call from the mythical "Construction" dept yet, despite having been promised one three times. STOP PRESS - just been promised another call from Construction now according to the CS operative who just returned my call of a few minutes ago (a first may I add), So here I am almost a month on from ordering and fifteen quid lighter due to having to listen to MJ on a loop each time I call from my mobile and no further along seemingly.
Fuming ATM (to put it politely)
:mad:

Sounds like you are having a shed load of fun there dude.

frogstamper
19-08-2009, 05:33
If its any consolation Mike the majority of us on the forum have been through the fun and games you are currently "enduring", while obviously annoying as said by others the end result is well worth the grief, and once up and running is generally very reliable.
Anyway keep us informed and the best of luck.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

mikegreen
19-08-2009, 08:48
well i was gonna start with LOL! but ill skip that one lol..

sorry to here about ur grief. if you have read any off my posts u will know i dont hold any esteem for NTL, it contractors or CS.. oh and some managers and techs... mmm ill stop now..

right who can we blame for this...

Customer services - when u phone them most agree and nod, they dont fill in details (we don't even get em) thats if some can actually type...

install Contractors - may not get the right info,, and when they do, some are plain (pass the buck) useless, unfortunately you have had the pleasure in dealing with the SOME!!

things to look forward too.. when finally it is sorted you will have a great service ..you may have a few problems, phoning CS who tell you ther are problems in the area, or they will call you back, hehe.

after some length of time and all done.. years down the line this pain will be a distant past...

main good thing.. all the tech calls are free to you.. if you had this problem with anyone else would cost you a fortune :)

Heh. Im glad you didn't start with LOL! ;)
I'm not the most patient of people so this kind of caper really does get to me.
Just show me the brodband! (and TV and 'phone)

If its any consolation Mike the majority of us on the forum have been through the fun and games you are currently "enduring", while obviously annoying as said by others the end result is well worth the grief, and once up and running is generally very reliable.
Anyway keep us informed and the best of luck.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Thanks Frogstamper! I'm calm...I think :rant:

I noticed some spray painted markings on some of the paving slabs outside our flat yesterday afternoon which I think may be for the repull. Progress?

I'll keep you (all) posted

Turkey Machine
19-08-2009, 09:49
This the same Mike Green of FastTrak fame a few years ago with DIV? :)

The installation stuff should have been clearly relayed to you properly. The fact is wasn't is poor communication, something all companies have. No one conglomorate is perfect at it.

mikegreen
19-08-2009, 11:47
This the same Mike Green of FastTrak fame a few years ago with DIV? :)

Not me. What is DIV anyway?

Agreed that it's all about communication which so far has been one way...me to them!

mikegreen
03-09-2009, 09:46
I'm finally 'in'!

It took some more calls, a heated conversation with a CS rep (sorry mate!) and an email to the CEO's office to get some firm answers and dates.

Repull happened last week and the install yesterday, so just over four weeks in total.
Nice neat job and all is working!!

Could have been a smoother experience, but "all's well that ends well" as the Bard would have it.

Kymmy
03-09-2009, 09:52
:clap: glad you kept on it and finally got what you wanted..

flamescape
03-09-2009, 13:42
Well done. I hope for a similar solution to my own problem. Any advice? :)

mikegreen
03-09-2009, 14:30
Well done. I hope for a similar solution to my own problem. Any advice? :)

I would just carry on as you are.

You seem to be doing all you can...it's a shame that VM are not reciprocating.

GeƧmiş olsun!