PDA

View Full Version : Change lan address of cable modem - Ambit

theoldbill
29-07-2009, 19:34
Is this possible, I can't see any options on the modem web diag pages? The 192.168.100.1 conflicts with another device and I'd sooner change the modem's address than the other. Thanks.

moaningmags
29-07-2009, 19:46
No and if it is we wouldn't support it.

Peter_
29-07-2009, 19:47
Is this possible, I can't see any options on the modem web diag pages? The 192.168.100.1 conflicts with another device and I'd sooner change the modem's address than the other. Thanks.
No it cannot be done as that is the default address of all Virginmedia modems.

Ignitionnet
30-07-2009, 09:59

That's not the modem's LAN address, it doesn't have one as it's a modem :) What that is is just a management address. Either don't worry about getting access to it or change the other device.

theoldbill
30-07-2009, 11:21
What that is is just a management address.

Yes - I am aware of that - and that is what I was referring to.

Anyway it's sorted now :cool:

Ignitionnet
30-07-2009, 18:17
Yes - I am aware of that - and that is what I was referring to.

Anyway it's sorted now :cool:

Good man!

Would be handy to be able to change it but given that VM don't even let us use SNMP on a read only basis on the modems now no chance of letting us do anything else :)

theoldbill
30-07-2009, 18:37
I don't like how none of the settings on this Ambit can be fiddled manually, atleast on the SB5100 I've just had to bin you could change the upstream channel, that improved VOIP jitter in the past without having to call them up... (incidentally, I don't believe in changing kit if there's nothin wrong with it (even if it's 5yo!), but they reckoned the change of modem would help with my poor speeds - though how they figured that would improve the over utilisation on my ubr I dunno)...my slow speeds are (gasp) still here!

Ignitionnet
30-07-2009, 19:39
No real upstream congestion on the VM network at the moment it's basically all downstream.

Cable is not the greatest for jitter.

Sephiroth
31-07-2009, 21:17
That's not the modem's LAN address, it doesn't have one as it's a modem :) What that is is just a management address. Either don't worry about getting access to it or change the other device.
@BB

That is so splitting hairs! Even NTLWORLD.COM concede that it's LAN/IP address (which the router has to know about), viz:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ipaddr.html#cmip

Jon T
31-07-2009, 21:38
@BB

That is so splitting hairs! Even NTLWORLD.COM concede that it's LAN/IP address (which the router has to know about), viz:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ipaddr.html#cmip

Further splitting hairs, thats not an NTL authored page, it's the personal website of a ntl subscriber(maybe ex subscriber by now).

Robin Walker and his pages used to be the oracle of all things cable, he was also a member of this site when it was nthellworld.

Strictly speaking your modem doesn't need an IP address, it's not even a modem, it's a bridge that transforms one connectivity medium(coax) into another(ethernet). Your PC or router really doesn't care what the CM's private IP address is, all they care about is that they can speak to your UBR(get a WAN IP address, route packets to the default gateway etc).