PDA

View Full Version : What can u do with 20mbs?

jonnyjai
28-07-2009, 20:53
As the title suggests
can ppl who are on 20mbs service with VM please post
what they do with their services, ie running 4 pcs and playing xbox live and d/l
10mb of files etc.

thanks

martyh
28-07-2009, 21:20
i have 2 laptops ,1 pc, pretty much always on the net, and a ps3, so to answer your question ,just about anything you like

Mauldor
29-07-2009, 01:45
The reason for 20mbit for myself is as follows:

1. I got a package which worked out cheaper - I was paying £25 a month for 10mbit.

2. You can do more before getting throttled back and 75% of 20mbit is faster then 75% of 10mbit.

3. Upload Speed - 768K is better for my needs (Streaming Video).

4. Many Computers..

Can I WHY this question is important to you? What Speed are you on and what do you do with it?

beanie
29-07-2009, 02:02
You should find that Windows Update will be faster, Torrent Files (legal ones) and downloads in general are faster. It's great for things like the BBC iPlayer and the Channel 4 onDemand etc..

Im not sure on this but you may have a faster upstream connection.

moaningmags
29-07-2009, 02:21
6 computers. 5 wireless and 1 wired.
Hubby plays world of warcraft.
I live on facebook, CF and online bingo, download about 30 gig a week depending how many programmes are aired on a given week.
4 Kids live on msn and you tube.

frogstamper
29-07-2009, 03:14
6 computers. 5 wireless and 1 wired.
Hubby plays world of warcraft.
I live on facebook, CF and online bingo, download about 30 gig a week depending how many programmes are aired on a given week.
4 Kids live on msn and you tube.

Now that getting your money's worth Mags:) six PC's running concurrently is superb.

moaningmags
29-07-2009, 03:32
Can't work in tech support and not be able to set it up, have it running or fix it when it's broke :D
Kids would never let me live it down nevermind my colleagues :)

Welshchris
29-07-2009, 08:19
i just have the one pc on my 20mb, but a friend of mine has his own PC which he plays such games online as World of Warcraft 3, + he has 3 kids who use their PS3 online, use their laptops for Facebook, MSN, Yahoo Messenger etc etc and hes on 20mb.

Kursk
29-07-2009, 15:12
There was an item on the news this week about customers not getting the broadband speed for which they pay. VM came out tops for delivering a service closest to the target standard (all ISP's can only offer an 'up to' service because that's the way the internet is).

That's worth saying on this forum.

Also in the news item, it showed a shot of the Google homepage downloading in chunks (you remember those good ol' dial up days don't you?) and I was reminded how lucky I am to live in a cabled area.

I get around the net with my VM connection and don't have to worry about those 'download killer' forum threads that have a few images in.

Virgin Media rocks and so do all the staff here who help out. Think about how much you use your pc and how that equates to what you'd get from the pub for the same money: you easily spend a month's subscription in one night.

Now I'm not saying the pub isn't fun but in terms of entertainment, the cost of internet access ain't so bad is it? Fair's fair ;).

broadbandking
29-07-2009, 20:53
I have a xbox 360 and like downloading every now and then.

Impz2002
29-07-2009, 21:47
Torrent Files (legal ones)

Im sure illegal torrent files will also download faster too ..... lol

Impz

BeeVee
29-07-2009, 23:48
I'm on 20mbs, speed test 1 mins ago gave me 6mbs. Run 2 pc's here, download next to nothing, surf a bit, play on-line golf game. Not much point having any extra as you only seem to get half of what you pay for. It's about time we paid for what we get rather than what we pay for. I'm charged for 20mbs, average less than 10mbs, so charge me for what i actually get.

Radeon
30-07-2009, 02:39
I was on 20mbps (had it since it launched) but now on 50mbps. I only use it on my main PC, my netbook and two PSP's.

I want high speed just so I can download things faster and upload faster also as I always average 400gb a month, usually 50/50, 200 up, 200 or so down.

I'm paying £50 a month for it so I'm going to get my monies worth :D

bigsinky
30-07-2009, 15:12
I want high speed just so I can download things faster and upload faster also as I always average 400gb a month

pfffffttt................lightweight ;)

bubblegun
30-07-2009, 16:10
Evertything faster than on 10meg. Simple.

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

I'm on 20mbs, speed test 1 mins ago gave me 6mbs. Run 2 pc's here, download next to nothing, surf a bit, play on-line golf game. Not much point having any extra as you only seem to get half of what you pay for. It's about time we paid for what we get rather than what we pay for. I'm charged for 20mbs, average less than 10mbs, so charge me for what i actually get.

But that would really depend on what that other PC is doing wouldn't it?

broadbandking
30-07-2009, 16:49
pfffffttt................lightweight ;)

What do you class as a heavyweight?

jonnyjai
31-07-2009, 15:12
wow thanks for all the posts.
was just finding out what most ppl do with there 20mb connection now that its comfirmed that VM is the best in UK.

i have 1 wired pc and 1 wireless laptop
and wired xbox 360.

i get a nice d/l speed of 19.2mb
and a avergish u/l speed of 0.55mb.

probally for me is my gf uses a video streaming app where u can watch vids from the far east she being chinese. that only about 0.20mb uploading

but becoz of that im unable to play on the box
i dont wont to upgrade to 50mb as i dont need that fast (50mb upload is 1.5mb)
i just want the upload speed to be at least 1mb.

does every1 agree WE NEED MORE UP LOAD SPEED?

broadbandking
31-07-2009, 19:12
Yes we do need more upload but at the moment you ain't going to get it saying that I can upload at 50Kb/s on torrents and still play online with my xbox, if you want more upload you could either try BE or upgrade to 50Mb the price is coming down on the 1st Sept so just have a look then to see how much it will cost you.

racheljones
31-07-2009, 21:00
hi all,
im new to the forums but i wanted to post -iv got 20mb and have a wireless laptop and a wired xbox 360 and i cant go online when my partner is on the 360 as he gets bad "lagging"- not sure if anybody knows why it happens?? wev had the modem and router replaced and this is a new laptop and oh second 360 with the same issue..:shrug::banghead:
tia rach.

jonnyjai
31-07-2009, 22:13
so why is it that BE can offer up to 1.3Mb for upload were as VM only give 0.70mb
Richard are u listening give us more upload

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

racheljones wot do u use laptop for wen ur online?
can u connect laptop so that its wired

racheljones
31-07-2009, 22:24
mainly just looking at websites download a couple of movies a week....not alot really and im wireless....i could but to me thats pointless in that i shouldnt have to, but it might need doing.
if you can advise further thanks for the help.
rach.

xpod
31-07-2009, 23:17
Lots of kids,computers and ISO`s:)

Well,not as many of the latter as once upon a time but i do still like my half hour download,burn(or usb it) and installs:)

Nilrem
01-08-2009, 03:18
We have 20mb for a few reasons.

1: It's part of a package that saved us money compared with what we were getting previously.
2: Generally we've got 2 heavy users here, and a couple of light users (so a good speed if required for the gamers).
3: It is handy for downloading large files in a hurry, or when i'm fixing computers etc (it's nice to be able to plug in and get all the windows updates on a newly formatted machine in a timely manner).

racheljones
01-08-2009, 13:23
i agree with everything said by nilrem but i think thats whats annoying as you pay expecting a great service and not getting one....
rach.