PDA

View Full Version : Are Virgin doing ADSL via their own phone lines?

Turkey Machine
28-07-2009, 19:10
Had a talk with a retentions agent in Scotland about transferring my services from Nottingham to Lowestoft, and currently, you can only get ADSL with a BT line. However, in a couple weeks time, this will no longer strictly be the case, and you can get phone line and ADSL with Virgin in "National" areas.

Can somebody in the know elaborate? :)

Matt-08
28-07-2009, 19:18
AFAIK Virgin don't have any phone lines, they use BT phonelines and some cable from the cabinet for 150/151.

Peter_
28-07-2009, 19:22
AFAIK Virgin don't have any phone lines, they use BT phonelines and some cable from the cabinet for 150/151.
In cable areas Virgin phone lines are run from the cabinet using a siamese cable which has DTV and Broadband on one side and Telco on the other side.

They are independent of BT telephone lines.

Chris
28-07-2009, 19:27
Presumably the agent was talking about Virgin doing LLU in non-cabled areas?

dilli-theclaw
28-07-2009, 19:48
I was told that 'coming soon' I'll be able to pay virgin for both my adsl internet and line rental instead of having to pay BT.

Chris
28-07-2009, 20:38
Yep, that sounds like LLU.

Ignitionnet
28-07-2009, 21:03
Had a talk with a retentions agent in Scotland about transferring my services from Nottingham to Lowestoft, and currently, you can only get ADSL with a BT line. However, in a couple weeks time, this will no longer strictly be the case, and you can get phone line and ADSL with Virgin in "National" areas.

Wholesale Line Rental - operator pays BT for the line and bills you for both line rental and DSL fee. Requires an unbundled exchange or an operator with deep pockets.

Turkey Machine
28-07-2009, 22:41
Thank you Broadbandings. :)

So would this explain why Virgin doesn't come up as an LLU ISP on Samknows for my exchange (Lowestoft)?

superbiatch
28-07-2009, 22:45
I was told that 'coming soon' I'll be able to pay virgin for both my adsl internet and line rental instead of having to pay BT.

Thats the same as me paying Sky for both line rental and BB.

dilli-theclaw
28-07-2009, 22:56
Thats the same as me paying Sky for both line rental and BB.
Indeed, I looked forward to being able to pay both to virgin, keep it all in one bill and all that.

Ignitionnet
28-07-2009, 22:57
Thank you Broadbandings. :)

So would this explain why Virgin doesn't come up as an LLU ISP on Samknows for my exchange (Lowestoft)?

Certainly, they don't unbundle themselves, they use Cable and Wireless / C&W's LLU network to supply their services.

And for Lowestoft:
C&W / Bulldog:
Enabled as of 25/05/2007

superbiatch
28-07-2009, 22:57
Indeed, I looked forward to being able to pay both to virgin, keep it all in one bill and all that.

I still pay two separate amounts though, albeit on the same day. And line rental is only about a tenner a month instead of 14 I was paying to BT ;)

dilli-theclaw
28-07-2009, 22:59
I still pay two separate amounts though, albeit on the same day. And line rental is only about a tenner a month instead of 14 I was paying to BT ;)

Aye, but both to sky? I wanted to pay both mine to virgin. Anyway in my case the point is moot now.

Turkey Machine
29-07-2009, 13:35
Certainly, they don't unbundle themselves, they use Cable and Wireless / C&W's LLU network to supply their services.

And for Lowestoft:
C&W / Bulldog:
Enabled as of 25/05/2007

Wonderful. You have no idea how big the smile on my face is. :D

Had a talk with another agent this morning and he confirmed that it's basically Virgin talk with BT on the phone line installation and rental, you don't pay BT directly for it. That's the case 2 weeks from now.

Pierre
29-07-2009, 13:47

Virgin "National" is the term given to the services provided "off-net". i.e non-cabled areas.