PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 speed.

clarkuro
28-07-2009, 19:34
Hi, i've had virgin media for a few months now and everything has been fine, until in the last two weeks everytime i play on my playstation on Call of duty or Fifa i'm now getting really bad connection problems such as 1 red dot connection on Call of duty for every match, making it pretty much unplayable. I know this is not a problem about servers in otgher countries as the people i play with live locally and they all have 4 or 5 green bars. I have a 5 mb broadband speed and a Netgear DG834G V4. My PS3 is connected by wireless to my router but i have a signal strength of bout 95%. What else could it be? My laptop seems to be ok speed wise, and i haven't changed any settings on my router recently. Thanks in advance.

Pushkar
28-07-2009, 22:34
Don't let anyone download/upload while you are gaming, this should fix it.

clarkuro
29-07-2009, 00:32
Ok thanks bud.

Morden
29-07-2009, 14:57
Can you manage to use the PS3 cabled, you will see a great imrovement. Unfortunately even when you have full signal strength, you will still only get at best around half the speed of cable and that will be a peak. When I download files to my laptop using a cable its speed matches my PC, on wireless its about a 1/4 the download speed. And thats within 8 feet of the router through a plasterboard wall.

Try moving your PS3 to the router and use a cable and see if it improves.

Begize
30-07-2009, 17:13
Can you manage to use the PS3 cabled, you will see a great imrovement. Unfortunately even when you have full signal strength, you will still only get at best around half the speed of cable and that will be a peak. When I download files to my laptop using a cable its speed matches my PC, on wireless its about a 1/4 the download speed. And thats within 8 feet of the router through a plasterboard wall.

Try moving your PS3 to the router and use a cable and see if it improves.

In my opinion (and experience), there's little or no improvement using the PS3 wired instead of wireless. Think of it logically - your wireless speed is probably a minimum of 54Mb and your broadband speed is a lot less than that. Even if the wireless is only getting 20% signal, it's still connected at around 10Mb which is twice the speed of the outgoing broadband connection in this case.

I've also never noticed any difference in speed using my laptop to copy files or stream music from my NAS or desktop PC, wireless or wired.

That said, there's plenty of posts on the net claiming PS3 wireless issues and funny enough, a lot saying wireless is faster than using a cable....
I suppose it's all down to the equipment and config you have.

I would try using a cable, just to rule out an interference problem from another wireless network or devices in the house. If that resolves it, maybe try changing the wireless channel your router broadcasts on.

It's probably also worth getting the IP address of the servers or other users you are trying to get to. Try doing a tracert (open a command prompt in Windows on your laptop and type tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the xxx is the IP address of the server - you could also subsitute the name of the server as long as it's in a standard internet format).

This will show the route the signal takes to get from you to the server at the other end and how long each step takes. Look for any missed or slow steps (*'s appear instead of numbers) as that indicates a network problem at that step - the name on the line above that one shows roughly where the problem is happening . Try more than once and also try it at different times of the day.

You can also do a ping (open a command prompt and type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t) - the -t on the end means it keeps pinging until you press ctrl + c to stop it. Let it carry on for a while and look for any request timed out messages. When you do stop the test, it will show how many requests were sent, receive and lost as well as a percentage. If there are a lot of lost ones, again it indicates a network fault, possibly somewhere in the outside world.

cred1980
13-08-2009, 17:11
i am also now having issues i had an old wireless router and had no probs with ps3 always full signal strength and full bars in cod i have just got a router from VM the wgr614 and i have 100% signal and varying between 1 and 2 bars in game the ps3 is close to the router is it just that the router is crap:mad:

Ben B
13-08-2009, 17:30
Try changing your wireless channel

blackalder
09-09-2009, 08:57
Having continual connection quality issues with PS3/Playstation Network. Suspect PS3 may be connecting to wrong PSN server - tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (as above) might help to resolve this but does anyone know how to get the PSN server address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) in the first place?

die5el
09-09-2009, 10:57
Have you done portforwarding in your router ? PlayStation Network requires you to forward the 80,443,5223,3478-3479,3658 ports also putting the ps3 in the dmz part of the router ALSO helps. How to port forward help here :- http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm Also cod 4 for the ps3 needs these ports forwarding 3074 , 3075 .It tells you someware in the games manual if you play the games online what ports may need forwarding for better connection ;) . This is a link how to put the ps3 into the dmz of the router http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/610541

Boaz
09-09-2009, 12:21
Have you done portforwarding in your router ? PlayStation Network requires you to forward the 80,443,5223,3478-3479,3658 ports also putting the ps3 in the dmz part of the router ALSO helps. How to port forward help here :- http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm Also cod 4 for the ps3 needs these ports forwarding 3074 , 3075 .It tells you someware in the games manual if you play the games online what ports may need forwarding for better connection ;) . This is a link how to put the ps3 into the dmz of the router http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/610541
Cool info, I did wonder about port forwarding as we have it for the WOW but forgot about finding out what port numbers we would need for the PS3 as we get connection interrupted quite a lot and this may help, thanks!

Graham M
09-09-2009, 12:57
Have you done portforwarding in your router ? PlayStation Network requires you to forward the 80,443,5223,3478-3479,3658 ports

No it doesn't...

one2escape
09-09-2009, 13:02
I always use it wired. I dont like using wireless and I havent had any problems as yet.

*sloman*
09-09-2009, 13:19
never use wireless for gaming, your ping will be higher and wirless regardless of the channel will get interference.

IMO wireless is good for web browsing but thats it, i would never use wireless on my 360,PS3 or pc only the laptop.

die5el
09-09-2009, 22:22
No it doesn't...Well i had crappy connection to psn untill i portforwarded them ports also when my ps3 ip has changed i cant host games at all untill i portforward also my games lag you may be one of the few who havent portforward them ports in your router and everything is fine also why does it say in some of the ps3 games manuals(Especialy Online Games part) about which port to forward i couldn`t host or even connect when i didnt port forward in burnout paradise and a few other games;)

Graham M
09-09-2009, 22:54
OK well I'm guessing either the UPNP on your router is turned off or isn't available

blackalder
10-09-2009, 00:09

Thanks die5el - I had already tried DMZ but for some reason this didn't work first time. This time I have rebooted both the router and PS3 post changes and it has made a massive difference!!!!:)

[Incidentally the links refer to setting a static IP address using PS3 settings - this relies on the chosen IP address not being already allocated by the router/dns. Better to use router settings (if available) to associate static IP to the PS3 MAC address].

Graham M
10-09-2009, 00:19
Or Just check what range your router assigns and either set it outside the range (if the range is .2 to .254 just knock the top down to .253 and set the device as .254