PDA

View Full Version : Virgin WGR614v9 problems

singh88
26-07-2009, 15:22
hey people new to this forum, hope all is well

i have a Virgin WGR614v9 with VM firmware pre-loaded but the only downside is it hasnt got the feature to use it as an access point ... hence i want to flash the router and load up the official netgear firmware...

i read through this http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=148146

but im getting stuck at part 9.. its just a blank cursor flashing (on my xp machine) and on my windows vista machine it says incorrect path ..

my setup is this.. i have a belkin wireless n router connected to my main pc with virgin details entered.. but i have this spare Virgin WGR614v9 router which i want to use as an access point...

if any1 cant help me get past starge 9 is there any other way of using this router to extend wireless range?

thanks in advance

Matt-08
27-07-2009, 13:47
Would it not be possible for you to use your Netgear as your main router and your Belkin as your access point?

You could always extend your wireless range by connecting the two routers together with an ethernet cable and disabling DHCP on one to avoid you getting IP address problems.

singh88
27-07-2009, 15:33
hey , thanks for the reply, i wouldnt know its not my inernet connection its for my cousin he has cable.. i will find out if its normal belkin router if so then yes it is possible to do that.. but say i can .. how would i go about setting up ... as a wireless access point?

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

alright, just confirmed that belkin router was purchased... so yeh i can use the VM branded router on main pc for wireless and place belkin downstairs.. but how to link that as wireless access point? i would need the Belkin router attatched to pc 1st to set it up wouldnt i?

Matt-08
27-07-2009, 15:42
Hi,

If you can get hold of the model number of the router, you should be able to find a user manual for it which will tell you whether it is possible to use it as an access point, and if so how to do it.

It should just be a case of the Belkin picking up the Netgear's signal (which will be set up normally) and then rebroadcasting it on a different channel. Same SSID, but the Belkin should have DHCP disabled.

singh88
27-07-2009, 16:30
yeh brilliant, i am going to be there tomorrow so i will check it out... i think if i just activate remote manegmant on the belkin router .. that way can access settings aswell but DHCP should be turned off correct? .. do i have to clone mac address or anything or is that if i bridge them together wired?