PDA

View Full Version : what should i expect on utorrent with 10mb broadband?

julz
26-07-2009, 14:08
Hi,

Please can someone offer some advice.

I recently got 10mb broadband wth virgin. I am using utorrent and it shows a max download speed of 260kB/s. Sometimes it goes way down to 30kB/s.

I have been searching the internet forums and help websites all morning trying to make sense of what this means.

I admit I know nothing really so wondered if someone could tell me if this seems right before I phone Virgin again as last time I was unable to make sense of it with them?!

many many thanx in advance to thoes who offer help.x

webrosc
26-07-2009, 16:55
In theory you should be able to get around 1meg/sec download speed from torrents, but that depends on the seeders uploading speeds, network congestion and what else your doing with your internet.
I've found in the past i can easily get 2meg/sec download on some torrents (i'm on 20meg) but a current torrent i have downloading is maxing at around 130kb/sec due to it only having a few seeders and that its a 60gig torrent.

Kymmy
26-07-2009, 18:56
Simple answer is that Torrents are the worse thing to judge your speed with. BUT as already said if there are lots of seeders then you should be able to max out the connection as long as the software is set up correctly

keyholder
26-07-2009, 19:15
Hi,

Please can someone offer some advice.

I recently got 10mb broadband wth virgin. I am using utorrent and it shows a max download speed of 260kB/s. Sometimes it goes way down to 30kB/s.

I have been searching the internet forums and help websites all morning trying to make sense of what this means.

I admit I know nothing really so wondered if someone could tell me if this seems right before I phone Virgin again as last time I was unable to make sense of it with them?!

many many thanx in advance to thoes who offer help.x

Even with the default settings when u set up utorrent, you should be able to hit 1.2 meg ur conections max speed.

Even if u have ur uplaod unlimited you should still be able to hit max speed. when i use utorrent i am always able to hit 1.2 meg due to the private server i go on which has a uplaod rate of 10 Meg ( 100 Mbit )

heres a few things u can do. - Goto > options > preference's

check the following.

Max uplaod rate - upto u. I set mine to 10kb Alternative uplaod rate - again upto u. Mines unlimted
Max download - upto u again.
Global Max conections - 200 - 220 - Anymore your modem will keep dropping conection due to the rubbish network
max conections per peer - 80
upload slots per torrent - 1
UNTICK the box where is says increase uplaods slots if below 90% of uplaod speed

With these settings you shouldnt have no problems nor should anyone else using your internet.

Before ringing VM up, id suggest u turn off Utorrent & other downlaods and speed test ur cable first other wise it will be you that looks silly at the end of the day compliaing why your cable is slow whilst u do illegal activites on vm's service :D

Dont forget at the end of it all ..... the more people seed and upload the faster you go :) . . Its the way torrents work :(

xocemp
26-07-2009, 19:22
Found this, seems quite comprehensive.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34187931-post10.html

julz
26-07-2009, 21:08
Thanku for your suggestions.

I did what you said but unfortunately my download speed seems to be stuck at around 70kB/s? Has been all day now! :-( Got a friend comming round to hopefully help as Im am totally cluless but thanx again.x

Ignitionnet
26-07-2009, 21:12
Even with the default settings when u set up utorrent, you should be able to hit 1.2 meg ur conections max speed.

Even if u have ur uplaod unlimited you should still be able to hit max speed. when i use utorrent i am always able to hit 1.2 meg due to the private server i go on which has a uplaod rate of 10 Meg ( 100 Mbit )

heres a few things u can do. - Goto > options > preference's

check the following.

Max uplaod rate - upto u. I set mine to 10kb Alternative uplaod rate - again upto u. Mines unlimted
Max download - upto u again.
Global Max conections - 200 - 220 - Anymore your modem will keep dropping conection due to the rubbish network
max conections per peer - 80
upload slots per torrent - 1
UNTICK the box where is says increase uplaods slots if below 90% of uplaod speed

With these settings you shouldnt have no problems nor should anyone else using your internet.

Before ringing VM up, id suggest u turn off Utorrent & other downlaods and speed test ur cable first other wise it will be you that looks silly at the end of the day compliaing why your cable is slow whilst u do illegal activites on vm's service :D

Dont forget at the end of it all ..... the more people seed and upload the faster you go :) . . Its the way torrents work :(

Do consider not unticking the increase upload slots so you make better use of your upstream bandwidth and not capping your upload speed to 10kB/s while downloading, you can let it go much higher without affecting your download speed.

Setting the upload slots so low and unticking the box means very slow peers can tie up your slots leaving upstream underutilised.

The private server you're using isn't where you're downloading your content from so the speed of it is totally irrelevant, you're using a private tracker which puts you in touch with better seeding peers, some of whom probably are 10Mbit and 100Mbit. The connection the server has isn't an issue it is not uploading anything to you.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Thanku for your suggestions.

I did what you said but unfortunately my download speed seems to be stuck at around 70kB/s? Has been all day now! :-( Got a friend comming round to hopefully help as Im am totally cluless but thanx again.x

I expect you're using a torrent from The Pirate Bay - that can cause two issues, one is that your upload gets slammed by other users and your download doesn't because people don't seed and/or throttle their upload to silly slow rates. Lots of people who hit and run, download and don't upload back on TPB and every other tracker like that.

keyholder
26-07-2009, 21:19
Im sure i said that even if ur uplaod was unlimtied she should be able to hit max speed. & yes im using a private tracker, etc i know the ways of how torrents work etc,

the point of me telling the op what i do was to show her that i was still able to reach max download speed Regardless of upload speed. As i also said and you said, it pends on who we are conected to.

Ignitionnet
26-07-2009, 21:21
Im sure i said that even if ur uplaod was unlimtied she should be able to hit max speed. & yes im using a private tracker, etc i know the ways of how torrents work etc,

the point of me telling the op what i do was to show her that i was still able to reach max download speed Regardless of upload speed. As i also said and you said, it pends on who we are conected to.

Using a private tracker means nothing about knowing what you're doing with torrents. I do and I'm clueless ;)

If your upstream is maxed out you cannot use your full downstream speed. If you think you can why have you capped your upstream to 10kB/s while downloading? Has to be because you read somewhere that it was a good idea - that is why.

keyholder
26-07-2009, 21:29
nope dint read it no where. ive limited it to 10kb/s due to 5 other poeple using the net, at the same time. which all pc's are using utorrent and limewire or other similar programs.

I dont think i can i know i can use my full downstream and still have unlimited upstream. i will even submit a pic, jsut to show its not just another rumor.

Anyhows time to get back on topic i think :D

broadbandking
27-07-2009, 00:47
You have to limit your upload to 80% for example on 20Mb you should limit your upload to about 72Kb/s unlimited upload can cause your download speed to crumble.

SteevieNiteHeat
27-07-2009, 02:27
My current settings on uTorrent are:

Listening Port: 26894
Global Maximum number of connections: 998
Max number of connected peers per torrent: 525
Number of Upload slots per torrent: 286
Ticked use addition upload slots if upload speed < 90%
Outgoing Encryption is forced & ticked Allow incoming legacy connections

Overrided automatic cache size to 1GB memory (I have 3GB RAM in my system, so memory usage isnt really an issue)
Ticked boxes for Enable caching of disk reads & writes, Write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes & Increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing

Advanced Settings: (entered below if changed from defaults)

gui.updare_rate :1
bt.set_sockbuf: True

And when I am at home I max out* my 10mb connection, when I am staying with my gf's parents (which I am now) I can also max out* the 20mb connection depending on seeder to peer ratio.

Also when I am downloading, i limit the maximum upload speed to 6KB/s, and this changes to unlimited upload speed when seeding and I can also max out* my upload speeds too!

* = within the current STM schedule

I hope this sheds some light onto the matter for you :)

broadbandking
27-07-2009, 12:48
Thats a lot of connections

bigsinky
27-07-2009, 12:58
yes far too many. 5 connections the other night maxed out my 50Mbit. Private tracker btw.

heisenberg912
27-07-2009, 14:27
You have to limit your upload to 80% for example on 20Mb you should limit your upload to about 72Kb/s unlimited upload can cause your download speed to crumble.

I can go with this. I have been using torrents regularly since back end of 2001. When I first started you couldn't even change any settings. But that's by the by.

I find that setting your upload at about 80% of max works well as it leaves some of it free to communicate your status to your other peers. You need to do this to be able to tell them what bits you still need. If you don't leave enough bandwidth to do this effectively then your download rate drops because you aren't telling the other peers what bits you need so they don't share with you. You can test it out quite easily. If you limit it to 80% and watch your average DL rate and then set it to unlimited for a while you will notice the average DL rate fall.

Also maxing out your upload makes your net horrible. Just leaving a little spare bandwidth makes general web surfing a lot nicer. Of course in situations where other people use your connection then it is more complicated. But as long as you communicate your usage with other DLers there is no reason you can't use your connection to the max.

Code601
27-07-2009, 16:25
I use utorrent and set the upload to automatic and to use 50% of the upload, I think this a fair amount.

You can change the % of the capacity that utorrent will use by going into the advanced options and changing "bt.auto_ul_factor", just put in the percent you want. Make sure you click for the upload limit to be automatic.

Automatic is better because when you get capped utorrent will change how much its uploading accordingly. If you set one limit it will probably be too much for if you get capped.

Hope this is useful.