PDA

View Full Version : Using a "Netgear" router on a iMac. (Or not!)

fastfen38
24-07-2009, 08:03
I have been sent a "Netgear" 54Mbps router by Virgin after requesting a free update to my broadband, from 2mb up to 10mb.

On the unopened box, there is a systems requirement list, using Microsoft Windows 2000,XP, or Vista.
There are no details on the box about using the "Netgear" router with an Apple iMac with an Intel processor.
Can any one help me with information on the suitability of the "Netgear" 54Mbps router, for use on an Apple iMac, before I open the box, please.

Regards to all,
luap

WillPS
24-07-2009, 16:40
You should be able to set it up manually by entering the web interface, normally on http://192.168.0.1 but I don't have the router yet so can't say for sure.

It should certainly provide a Mac service, even if it has to be set up through a Windows PC.

Kymmy
24-07-2009, 16:46
The router takes a standard ethernet or WiFi g connection. DO you have ethernet or WiFi on the iMac? If so then all you need is it set to DHCP and if Wifi also setup the security once you have a connection. (optional)

Peter_
24-07-2009, 19:49
I have been sent a "Netgear" 54Mbps router by Virgin after requesting a free update to my broadband, from 2mb up to 10mb.

On the unopened box, there is a systems requirement list, using Microsoft Windows 2000,XP, or Vista.
There are no details on the box about using the "Netgear" router with an Apple iMac with an Intel processor.
Can any one help me with information on the suitability of the "Netgear" 54Mbps router, for use on an Apple iMac, before I open the box, please.

Regards to all,
luap
1. Connect to the wireless network which will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is the word preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name of your choice and passphrase of your choice , click apply and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

hansi
25-07-2009, 06:38
Does everyone who gets upgraded "free" from 2 to 10mbs get a free router? I ask, because Virgin are sending me a new modem as my current 120 modem can't handle 10mb's.

fastfen38
25-07-2009, 07:21
Many thanks for your reply to my Netgear queries.

Luap

---------- Post added at 07:20 ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 ----------

Kymmy,
Thank you for your help on my Netgear query

---------- Post added at 07:21 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

Moldova, Thanks for your help on the "Netgear router

Luap

Peter_
25-07-2009, 07:36
Does everyone who gets upgraded "free" from 2 to 10mbs get a free router? I ask, because Virgin are sending me a new modem as my current 120 modem can't handle 10mb's.
No you will not get a free router unless you upgrade to 20Mb or 50Mb, all you will receive is a Ambit 256 modem.

Chris
25-07-2009, 09:40
The router takes a standard ethernet or WiFi g connection. DO you have ethernet or WiFi on the iMac? If so then all you need is it set to DHCP and if Wifi also setup the security once you have a connection. (optional)

1. Every iMac ever built has shipped with ethernet.
2. Every iMac for about the last 7 years has shipped with WiFi.

;)

Kymmy
25-07-2009, 09:46
1. Every iMac ever built has shipped with ethernet.
2. Every iMac for about the last 7 years has shipped with WiFi.

;)

:tu:

Not really touched Macs since I used to repair the old powerbook duo's and thier duodocks, and that was many, many, many moons ago