PDA

View Full Version : Where do i stand?

kingabs
19-07-2009, 12:19
As title i went to purchse a car a few days ago and the price had been agreed and the order forms filled in with a deposit payed.
Now my agreed price was around £9715, when i got home with my part of the order form which had Toyata's managers signature on the form as well as mine i had relised that the price on the form was around £2000 cheaper than the agreed price.
Question is now i belive that their is a law which they have to obyed by if the price was written down wrong but the thing is i cannot remember which one it is!
Also can they stop us from having the car even though the price was written down on the order form incorrectly by them and also signed by them?

Any help appreciated.

webcrawler2050
19-07-2009, 12:21
As far as I can tell, they can't do anything - however, you may have gotten a model without things you asked for - so it's probably best to check?

kingabs
19-07-2009, 12:24
On the order form it has the registration number of the car and model number so do u think i have a good chance of getting it at their mess up.
Does anyone know the law that confirms this.

Kymmy
19-07-2009, 12:26
If you have a contract for the car at that price then they should have to honour it.. If not though then it'll be upto you to take legal action as trading standards will not take action over what they would consider to be a mistake

Raistlin
19-07-2009, 13:20
Read the small print on the order, see if it covers this eventuality.

The fact that they've accepted your order, and taken a deposit at that price, means that they have entered into a contract with you to provide the car at the price stated.

As others have said, make sure that the order is definitely for the car that you want, then you need to see what happens when you come to take delivery and pay the balance (or arrange finance for it).

As others have said though, even if there's a specific law that covers it, if the garage refuses to honour the deal then telling them they're breaking a law won't force them to go through with the deal. You will still need to take legal action against them to get them to go through with it.

You might find that rather than getting into long-winded complicated arguments/legal battles (which could cost you in the long run) you could perhaps enter into some sort of compromise with them (perhaps meet them half way).

I'd wait and see what they do/say next though.

superbiatch
19-07-2009, 13:37
As title i went to purchse a car a few days ago and the price had been agreed and the order forms filled in with a deposit payed.
Now my agreed price was around £9715, when i got home with my part of the order form which had Toyata's managers signature on the form as well as mine i had relised that the price on the form was around £2000 cheaper than the agreed price.
Question is now i belive that their is a law which they have to obyed by if the price was written down wrong but the thing is i cannot remember which one it is!
Also can they stop us from having the car even though the price was written down on the order form incorrectly by them and also signed by them?

Any help appreciated.

There isn't a scrappage allowance included by any chance is there?

Have they come back to you to point out the mistake yet? Or are you just preparing for when they do?

kingabs
19-07-2009, 17:44
Nope they haven't come back to me yet regarding their clerical error.

Nidge
20-07-2009, 04:09
There isn't a scrappage allowance included by any chance is there?

Have they come back to you to point out the mistake yet? Or are you just preparing for when they do?

That's what I was thinking to, they have dropped £2000 off the price which is the scrappage allowance. Sounds like a good deal though, £2000 off the price of a motor.

kingabs
20-07-2009, 09:27
It does sound like a good deal considering i already managed to get them down for £10995 to £9715 but again on their contract they signed it says £7715.

Julian
20-07-2009, 09:59
I don't suppose your deposit was £2000 was it?

And the £7715 is in the box where it says "Balance payable on collection"

kingabs
20-07-2009, 10:01
nope deposit payed on the order form was £200 and even the debit card machine recipt was £200.

webcrawler2050
20-07-2009, 10:20
Well, if it's signed and done. There is nothing they can do..

kingabs
20-07-2009, 12:03
just as a final note. Does anyone know the name of the law if they try to back out of a signed contract then i can hit them with the name of the law?

TheDaddy
20-07-2009, 13:18
If I were you I'd seek proper legal advice, most (if not all) contracts have a completely independent cooling of period for both parties, just remember to watch the clock at the solicitors, the first hour is usually free but he/she will be looking to drag it over so they can charge you.

Raistlin
20-07-2009, 13:22
just as a final note. Does anyone know the name of the law if they try to back out of a signed contract then i can hit them with the name of the law?

There won't be a specific 'law' that covers this, and if there were 'hitting' them with it wouldn't make any difference.

If they try to 'get out' of the contract (if, indeed, there is anything for them to 'get out' of) then 'hitting' them with the name of any law won't make any difference. The only way to pursue the matter further would be to take independent legal action against them.

Stephen
20-07-2009, 13:22
If its £2000 lower then I would check they haven't added on the scrappage discount?

kingabs
20-07-2009, 13:54
no scrappage has been added.

Wayfair
20-07-2009, 14:35
It looks like a genuine mistake has been made and it has been mentioned that a cooling off period will be in force and this will apply to both parties so don't be surprised if they withdraw the sale.

I mean you wouldn't go ahead with it if you saw they added £2000 on would ya irrelevant of you signing the paperwork or not..

rogerdraig
20-07-2009, 15:27
hmm your verbal contract is just as valid as their written one

i would just stay quiet for now but i wouldn't hold your breath on a court upholding the agreement on this one if you did go down that route especially if they found this thread ;)

you agreed a price and just because they made a mistake on the paper work doesn't automatically mean they have to abide by it as its not a case of them making it then putting the offer to you with no other price mentioned there you would have a good case as you would have made your decision to buy based on the mistake

here you had agreed a price and the mistake is just clerical

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

It looks like a genuine mistake has been made and it has been mentioned that a cooling off period will be in force and this will apply to both parties so don't be surprised if they withdraw the sale.

I mean you wouldn't go ahead with it if you saw they added £2000 on would ya irrelevant of you signing the paperwork or not..

pretty sure the cooling off period only applies to the buyer unless there is a credit check they can use as a get out if they say you didn't pass it other than that they have made an offer to sell which is mostly binding on them

kingabs
23-07-2009, 20:42
Just to let you know Toyota gave me the car at £2000 less than orginally agreed at their mistake on the order form. ;-)

moaningmags
23-07-2009, 20:43
Wtg kingabs well done and enjoy :)

rogerdraig
23-07-2009, 22:46
:tu:

frogstamper
24-07-2009, 01:20
Just to let you know Toyota gave me the car at £2000 less than orginally agreed at their mistake on the order form. ;-)

How much grief did they give you before holding their hands up?

Either way great result, you'll now be one of the very few who'll drive out the garage in a new car and "not" lose over a grand in depreciation immediately, nice one.:tu:

kingabs
28-07-2009, 21:18
Well the car's original price was £10,995 got them down to £9,715 that's with the body protection coating thing worth £200 and the gap insurance for 3 years worth £300 and after thier paperwork mess up i got it for £7,715 total saving £3,280 plus £500 for the free add on's i managed to get out of them. Oh happy day's, Oh happy day's.
And after i spoke to the manager in charge of that branch he said yes our mistake you can have it at that price.

superbiatch
28-07-2009, 22:34
Well the car's original price was £10,995 got them down to £9,715 that's with the body protection coating thing worth £200 and the gap insurance for 3 years worth £300 and after thier paperwork mess up i got it for £7,715 total saving £3,280 plus £500 for the free add on's i managed to get out of them. Oh happy day's, Oh happy day's.
And after i spoke to the manager in charge of that branch he said yes our mistake you can have it at that price.

Nice 1 :tu:

handyman
28-07-2009, 23:33
FYI for those of you contemplating purchasing a car. the Gap policies are not worth it. They cost the garage about £100 to buy from places like RAC. Also the paint protection packs cost under £20 and are normally applied by the same person that washes down the forecourt cars. Buy a similar pack and do it yourself and save £100's.

I worked in car sales then did the finance part for a very large car firm (3 times the profit of Reg Vardy with 1/5 the dealerships).

I'm more than happy to check over any deal you get offered on finance and let you know if it can be improved on. You are highly likely not to be offered the best finance deal as it is the car dealerships that set's the rate.

My job as business manager was to take the ££ per month sold to the punter and pad that out with finance protection and insurance products to balance it back up.

I truly hate this as it is very anti consumer and really should be stopped.

A £5000 car is sold as only £25 a week. Sounds like a deal yeah?
At basic this is sold as a flat rate of 6% or approx 12% apr.

Car dealers then would roll this back to say flat 5% rate of interest and pad out with insurance products worth £250. These pay percentage wise much better than finance. If it was a paint protection package they would have put in £230 profit. They also would say it is normally £300 but you can have it for £50 and then they have themselves £280 profit.

FYI they also get paid on the finance deal as well in commission though at a lower rate.

The very best advice is never to purchase on your first visit. Take the figures and work them out in your own home.
Only go back when your happy with them and always remember they will never ever offer their best offer up front.