PDA

View Full Version : being charged for using wifi on mobile

sevenxl
18-07-2009, 21:09
Not long had my contract with virgin (Nokia E63) I connect to the internet via my home wifi. The problem is I seem to be being charged for doing this? I kow I'm only connect via my home router as a message pops up on the phone sayin'connecting via'

Is this possible?

Thanks

brundles
18-07-2009, 22:34
I've not used Virgin Mobile, but would be surprised if you're being charged for using Wifi (it would technically be possible but commercial suicide for any operator to try it).

What makes you think you're being charged for wifi usage?

dd11
18-07-2009, 23:32
There may be some background aplications using your mobile's connection rather then wifi, just because your connected via wifi i'm not sure if it will automatically use it over the mobiles connection, have a look at the settings, you may need to disable certain programs from automatically using the phone connection without your permission.

sevenxl
19-07-2009, 08:30
[QUOTE=brundles;34836644
What makes you think you're being charged for wifi usage?[/QUOTE]

When i check my online bill it shows a charge for using the internet.

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

I downloaded a youtube installation which I use quite a lot. Could this be causing the charge?

Peter_
19-07-2009, 10:48
Not long had my contract with virgin (Nokia E63) I connect to the internet via my home wifi. The problem is I seem to be being charged for doing this? I kow I'm only connect via my home router as a message pops up on the phone sayin'connecting via'

Is this possible?

Thanks
Here is the link to the Virgin mobile website section on web access they charge 30p a day to access the web and I have used it on a couple of occasions and that is all they charge, the only way you should incur further charges is if you download a ringtone or similar to your phone.

https://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=bites.whychooseus.sm08 2

sevenxl
19-07-2009, 13:06
Here is the link to the Virgin mobile website section on web access they charge 30p a day to access the web and I have used it on a couple of occasions and that is all they charge, the only way you should incur further charges is if you download a ringtone or similar to your phone.

https://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=bites.whychooseus.sm08 2

Hi

I fully understand the charge of 30p max per day but if I'm using my own Wif to connect surely i shouldn't be charged anything? Cheers

SnoopZ
19-07-2009, 14:23
Hi

I fully understand the charge of 30p max per day but if I'm using my own Wif to connect surely i shouldn't be charged anything? Cheers

You wouldn't be charged anything for using your own Wifi.

I got an Orange contract earlier this year and i was finding the phone i had was connecting to the internet everyday using atleast 1 of its pre installed apps without me knowing even though i had thought i had disabled them. It was costing me a fortune so i cancelled it.

My guess is you have a background app on your phone that is connecting every day and costing you also.

Rik
19-07-2009, 15:34
Is this possible?

Thanks

No

If your phone is using WIFI to connect to your router, there is no way you can be getting charged for using it.

If youre getting charged for stuff then you need to make sure you are only using the WIFI and not the GPRS.

Check your configuration settings.

Gary L
19-07-2009, 18:19
There's various apps you might have on your phone that will connect to GPRS. such as Navigation apps such as Google Maps/Nokia Maps. are you using any of them kind of apps?

sevenxl
19-07-2009, 19:44
There's various apps you might have on your phone that will connect to GPRS. such as Navigation apps such as Google Maps/Nokia Maps. are you using any of them kind of apps?

I think your right. I have messed around on navigation & maps. Not used them yesterday & today and I havn't got any charges:) I'll steer clear in future.

Thanks

Stuart
19-07-2009, 19:54
If it helps, on my N95, Nokia provided a tool to download all the maps for any countries and store them on the phone's memory card. Saves and awful lot of downloading..

Gary L
19-07-2009, 20:37
I think your right. I have messed around on navigation & maps. Not used them yesterday & today and I havn't got any charges:) I'll steer clear in future.

Thanks

Or just get a phone plan where you get Unlimited internet, like me :)