PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a straight answer?

m8internet
17-07-2009, 20:09
I've asked VM the same set of questions twice and had two different sets of answers

I am currently on Broadband M and TV Starter (M+)
I am replacing my CRT TV with a HD 1080p

What format is VM broadcasting HD in?
HD compatable / 1080i

If I upgrade for HD programs, what do I get, and what does it cost?
You need to upgrade to the XL package, this gives you all channels only in HD /
Extra £5 per month for HD, plus £5 per month for TV on Demand which gives you access to the HD channels (so why isn't it just an extra £10 per month?), therefore you may be better off by simply upgrading to the XL package

Is a TV required to be in the property for installation?
Yes / No

I can't find a list of HD channels, for VM, where is it?
We currrently don't have a list / You will find it in the TV on Demand section

Pedro1
17-07-2009, 22:57
Hiya m8internet. As it stands at the moment i am a full package vm customer with top tv, bb and phone. I dont have the fancy tv yet cause vm only have ONE (1) HD channel. Sky has loads of them.

LondonRoad
17-07-2009, 23:22
I would think that a TV is required for installation to allow the engineer/installer to check the success of the installation.

Only one HD channel, BBC, available now but more arriving later this month, FX MTVN, and National Geographic arriving at the end of the month, the new Living HD arriving shortly after and they're in talks with others.

Pedro1
18-07-2009, 01:06
So at the end of the day VM still only have ONE HD Channel.. No one wants later they want now if they are like me. Sky seems to be the now rather than later....

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

I would think that a TV is required for installation to allow the engineer/installer to check the success of the installation.

Only one HD channel, BBC, available now but more arriving later this month, FX MTVN, and National Geographic arriving at the end of the month, the new Living HD arriving shortly after and they're in talks with others.

I have been hearing that from vm since i was the age of the kid in your picture...

jamiefrost
18-07-2009, 10:12
The ones arriving later this month are fairly certain. The V+ box does a very good job of upscaling.

I don't see a hugh difference between BBC1 and the BBC HD channel through the V+ box.

To get HD channel(s) you will have to get the V+ box which is also a PVR. The cost will depend on your current package.

JJ

LondonRoad
18-07-2009, 10:15
It's certain. It was announced by them this week:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/427/virgin-media-to-launch-4-new-hd-channels

Pedro1
18-07-2009, 14:32
My v+ box only has one channel.. if more comes then cool as i said i have the top of the lot with vm and i still say sky has all the hd channels... I would be a sky customer but they cant offer me blistering broadband like vm and i dinny want hunners of contracts all over the shop. So bring on the hd channels vm cause at present you still only have 1...

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

ie one hd channel.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Whoooo FOUR new channels... The sky is the limit so to speak..

JayJay
18-07-2009, 19:34
I would be happy to install in to a property that doesnt have a TV, hell ive done it loads of times when Ive turnt up whilst its a building site, or customer is moving in and doesnt have the TV there.

We would like to see the product working for our own piece of mind but not all the time its possible. But there should be any problem of it.

Get the V+ you wont be disappointed. Ive got SkyHD and V+ both next to each other... guess which one i get for next to nothing... go on.. guess... ? Both hehe. I prefer the V+ ;)

Pedro1
18-07-2009, 21:16
And at the end of it all vm still only have 1 hd channel.
Progress lol lol...

Maggy
18-07-2009, 21:46
And at the end of it all vm still only have 1 hd channel.
Progress lol lol...

So the BBC HD channels don't count either?:erm:

Pedro1
25-08-2009, 03:37
So the BBC HD channels don't count either?:erm:

Ok that ones yours lol lol..

Stephen
25-08-2009, 11:31
Ok that ones yours lol lol..Don't forget there are now 6 HD channels with one more launching very soon. (Living HD)

m8internet
25-10-2009, 00:10
My HD 1080p TV arrived at the end of July
I am still on my standard STB which displays at 576i

I did replace my DVD Home Cinema System though
The idea was to take advantage of the 1080p upscaling
Sadly I am not impressed by the system
There are a few films where the difference can be seen, but the difference is minimal

I eventually got a straight answer out of VM, when I wanted installation details
The broadcast is 1080i (the TV would then allow me to use other features with this source)
The package would be an ADDITIONAL £10 per month
They were prepared to waive the £75 installation fee, so I would have to pay £25 for the V+ box
I was then given the sales patter that I could watch HD films, thus making the XL package better value, however that would negate the replacement DVD Home Cinema purchase!

I then asked about the quality between the existing STB and V+ on 576i transmissions
At the moment many suffer from pixilation and loss of clarity
I was advised this would remain after upgrading on channels transmitted on 576i

Sadly with just seven HD channels that is still not enough to warrant paying out an extra £10 per month, at this time, as I would only watch two of them
I'll keep looking out for other channels being added over the coming months

SnoopZ
25-10-2009, 00:46
The V+ upscaling is great and well worth it in my opinion. :)

m8internet
26-10-2009, 07:52
The V+ upscaling is great and well worth it in my opinion
I've not read or heard anything about "V+ upscaling"!?!
As far as I was aware all programs were transmitted at 576i, except the HD channels at 1080i

Stephen
26-10-2009, 10:05
I've not read or heard anything about "V+ upscaling"!?!
As far as I was aware all programs were transmitted at 576i, except the HD channels at 1080i
If you are connecting by HDMI then the V+ upscales all existing SD channels to whatever resolution you have set on the box. It does a really good job.

m8internet
28-10-2009, 16:46
If you are connecting by HDMI then the V+ upscales all existing SD channels to whatever resolution you have set on the box. It does a really good job
Strange that VM have never mentioned this AND it does not appear on any of the material
Can someone post a link to confirm this?

If that is the case, then I will upgrade as my TV could really benefit from this, as virtually all the SD channels suffer from dreadful pixilation

SnoopZ
28-10-2009, 16:51
Strange that VM have never mentioned this AND it does not appear on any of the material
Can someone post a link to confirm this?

If that is the case, then I will upgrade as my TV could really benefit from this, as virtually all the SD channels suffer from dreadful pixilation

Q: What’s the picture quality like from V+?
A: From Standard Definition (SD) channels, it's very good, better than the standard boxes. If you have a HD Ready TV set and are connecting to it via HDMI or Component, the V+ will upscale all SD content to the HD resolution you have selected.

From High Definition content into a HDTV set – it's bloody excellent. Of course, the actual quality will vary due to a number of factors (Brand of TV; Picture enhancement hardware inside TV; Screen size of TV; Viewing distance; Number of lagers consumed :p:) but watching Planet Earth at 1080i is breathtaking.

post 2 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/101/33605855-v-faq.html

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/104/33618838-does-v-upscale-or-not.html

m8internet
28-10-2009, 21:53
post 2 : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...855-v-faq.html
That doesn't confirm if received SD channels are output in 1080i

I now have a response from VM, the V+ box does not upscale SD channels
The upscaling comes from the TV, if it is capable of doing so from a source connected on HDMI
Mine is, so that is good to know

SnoopZ
29-10-2009, 13:51
post 2 : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...855-v-faq.html (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/62/10...855-v-faq.html)

The upscaling comes from the TV, if it is capable of doing so from a source connected on HDMI

This question has already been answered on this thread by Stephen who works for Virgin/NTL, all SD channels will be upscaled if you have a V+, whether that's by the V+ or the TV doing the upscaling i do not know, but the end result is the same, if you have a V+ you can watch HD TV and all SD channels will be viewed upscaled.

In my opinion the upscaling is great compared to the V+ being connected with a Scart lead. The low bit rate channels still look crap though but still far far better than Scart connection or if you're using a standard V box. :)

Sir John Luke
29-10-2009, 14:01
post 2 : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...855-v-faq.html

Don't know where the VM response came from, but they appear to be talking out of their backsides.

The V+ does upscale SD channels, and makes a pretty good job of it.

Ben B
29-10-2009, 14:29
I have a 42" television with built in Freeview, if I go on BBC1 on Freeview the picture is pixellated but if I switch over to the upscaled BBC1 on the V+ box the picture quality is far superior to the one on Freeview. Best move I ever made getting a V+ :)

LondonRoad
01-11-2009, 21:14
I have a 42" television with built in Freeview, if I go on BBC1 on Freeview the picture is pixellated but if I switch over to the upscaled BBC1 on the V+ box the picture quality is far superior to the one on Freeview. Best move I ever made getting a V+ :)

I have to agree. I have an excellent signal for freeview so don't suffer from pixelation but on the same TV the upscaled V+ images are at greatly improved.

Ben B
01-11-2009, 22:05
I have excellent signal but because it's a large screen you notice blurred edges etc.

m8internet
26-11-2009, 20:36
I still can't get a straight answer direct from VM about the upscaling
I know the TV can upscale from 576i to 1080i, when connected to a HDMI source
However I have been advised the best results are when the source is received at 1080i

I am now on my thirtyeighth email
"Please advise me if the V+ equipment includes upscaling on the standard channels"
I have all kinds of silly answers, like "you are on M+ and can upgrade", "You can use your V+ box to watch HD channels", and so on

SnoopZ
26-11-2009, 20:49
I still can't get a straight answer direct from VM about the upscaling
I know the TV can upscale from 576i to 1080i, when connected to a HDMI source
However I have been advised the best results are when the source is received at 1080i

I am now on my thirtyeighth email
"Please advise me if the V+ equipment includes upscaling on the standard channels"
I have all kinds of silly answers, like "you are on M+ and can upgrade", "You can use your V+ box to watch HD channels", and so on

I don't mean to be rude but Cableforum has answered this question in this thread several times now but you don't seem to want to accept that.

Yes, the V+ upscales SD channels, this looks far better than a picture that isn't upscaled from a standard V box.

Yes, you can watch the HD(1080i) broadcasts on the V+ if you have an HD telly, there are currently around 6 of these channels broadcasting on the XL TV pack and some content ON Demand.

I hope that finally clears it up. :)

m8internet
27-11-2009, 07:04
I don't mean to be rude but Cableforum has answered this question in this thread several times now but you don't seem to want to accept that
I realise and accept that the forum advises that upscaling takes place
What I am after is written proof from Virgin Media
The reason being is that if it does not place then I don't want to pay for something they do advertise, promote, or sell
As I mentioned previously, there are no specifications on their website and they won't directly answer the question

SnoopZ
27-11-2009, 10:20
The reason being is that if it does not place then I don't want to pay for something they do advertise, promote, or sell
As I mentioned previously, there are no specifications on their website and they won't directly answer the question

They've probably never been asked that question before, although I believe that if the customer isn't happy after installation they have a legal right to cancel with in 7 days(unsure).

I know this isn't from the 'horses mouth' but Wapedia says it up scales SD channels too.

The STB supports 720p and 1080i high definition video via HDMI and component output and is capable of upscaling SD video to HD resolutions.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/V%2B#2.

Stephen
27-11-2009, 11:08
Some of the forum members work for VM and you have been advised in many posts that upscaling of all SD channels takes place when connected by HDMI.

Whats there not to believe about that?

m8internet
28-11-2009, 15:13
At last, a reply from VM that answers the question!
Does the V+ box supports upscaling of the SD channels I currently receive, on my M+ package?

28 November
The V+ box will only give you a better picture on the High Definition channels not on standard channels.

If you were thinking about getting the V+ box to be able to get the High Definition channels you would need to have a High Definition TV to benefit these channels.

If you would like to have one of our V+ boxes there is an install charge of £99.00 and then a £5.00 per month rental for the V+ box

That also matches what appears on their website, no mention of upscaling

SnoopZ
28-11-2009, 15:21
Does the V+ box supports upscaling of the SD channels I currently receive, on my M+ package?

28 November
The V+ box will only give you a better picture on the High Definition channels not on standard channels.

If you were thinking about getting the V+ box to be able to get the High Definition channels you would need to have a High Definition TV to benefit these channels.

If you would like to have one of our V+ boxes there is an install charge of £99.00 and then a £5.00 per month rental for the V+ box

That also matches what appears on their website, no mention of upscaling

Your info from VM is so so so so wrong, it's a shame when they do that and misinform the public.

Ask ANYONE with a V+ on this forum and they will tell you it UPSCALES SD channels.

Seriously you have ignored the advice in this thread and VM are wrong apart from all the VM employees on this forum that have assured you it upscales SD channels.

Why don't you start a thread on this forum and others asking the question 'Does the V+ upscale SD channels'? Your answer will be 'Yes' it does.

I'll help you out here, i've googled it for you. :)

http://stuff.tv/review/Virgin-Media-V/
http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/virgin-media-hdtv-help-needed-pls#post-700907
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34255967-post1.html
http://www.digitalspy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26933097&postcount=2
http://www.avforums.com/forums/4603342-post4.html
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=34981269&postcount=2

squealy
28-11-2009, 15:27

Seems you just waited for the reply that accorded with your belief that the V+ does not upscale SD pictures. 39th attempt to get that reply too. That's some persistence.

peterjcat
28-11-2009, 22:43
Fact: SD broadcasts are in 576i.
Fact: the V+ box can output at 720p or 1080i.
Fact: the only way to output a 576i signal to 720p or 1080i is by upscaling it. By definition.

There is no controversy whatsoever about the statement that the V+ box upscales. Whether upscaling is any good or not is a separate question; of course upscaling can never add detail that wasn't there in the first place. Often the best an upscaler can do is not mess things up. The V+ box doesn't seem to mess things up.

Basically your question is like asking whether the V+ box comes with a power cord. It might not be advertised anywhere but trust us, it does.

m8internet
29-11-2009, 19:49
Seems you just waited for the reply that accorded with your belief that the V+ does not upscale SD pictures. 39th attempt to get that reply too. That's some persistence
All I wanted from VM was an answer to the question, whether the device upscales or not
I had all kinds of responses but none actually answered (even if incorrectly), from "we have three HD channels", "the V+ box can be yours for £99 installation on your current M+ package", and so on
Not once was there an answer about upscaling

I do agree that the device upscales, but why won't Virgin Media confirm this in writing, and why doesn't it appear on their website
I have been in to the their shop in Glasgow and could not get a direct answer either!
"The SD channels are broadcast at 576i and the HD channels are broadcast in 1080i, I wasn't aware the device offered upscaling"

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Fact: the V+ box can output at 720p or 1080i
Surely when connected on SCART the output will be 576i ?

SnoopZ
29-11-2009, 19:55
Surely when connected on SCART the output will be 576i ?

Yes correct, if the V+ is connected via Scart then the output is 576i and won't look any different than a standard V box.