PDA

View Full Version : Weird SKY+HD fault

zing_deleted
14-07-2009, 08:23
Ok I have turned Autostandby off and leave the box on all the time.

If I turn my TV off for a duration of an hour or 2 or overnight when I come back to it and switch it on my Sky box is in standby.
I take the box out of standby and its on channel 999or98 not sure but irrelevent so obviously the Sky box has rebooted.

This can happen at night or in the day I was up till 4 am the other day watching TV no problem went to bed in morning it had rebooted.
Yesterday afternoon it did it twice first the tv was off for an hour or so and had rebooted and I went out in the evening and it had done it again.

I find it strange that it appears to be tied into the TV being off so perhaps the lack of feedback down the HDMI cable is causing it.
Sky tech this morning have been less than useless first trying to tell me its a feature the box reboots when in standby for 2 hours (to which I called them out on as the box should not go into standby on its own) and just done a planner rebuild so we will see if it continues later

Raistlin
14-07-2009, 08:28
Doesn't the box have an 'eco' feature whereby it turns itself off if you don't use it for 2 hours?

Or is that the 'Autostandby' thing that you've disabled?

zing_deleted
14-07-2009, 08:43
I believe it is that ive disabled. Unless they have a you have no choice eco feature which does sound feasible? although that would mean there was an update last week which also seems strange as I am yet have received the new EPG. It could well be a feature just a shame the noobs at the Indian call centre do not know lol

Raistlin
14-07-2009, 08:50
Not sure mate, if you like I can have a go with my box this evening?

I'll turn off the auto standby setting and see if it still shuts itself down. Probably not the most scientific test in the world, but it should tell you whether or not it's common across multiple boxes or if it's just an issue with yours :)

zing_deleted
14-07-2009, 08:52
does you box reboot while its in standby though? when you take it out of standby what channel is it on/?

Thanks for the help not scientific but an engineers approach lol

Raistlin
14-07-2009, 09:37
It comes back on at the 'Make the Most of your Sky' (or whatever crap it is) channel.

The one where they tell you that there are a numer of channels, and that you can use the remote control if you like, and that sometimes there is something decent on (maybe).

Raistlin
16-07-2009, 09:44
Ok, tested, here are the results of the Rob M jury:

1. Turning off the 'Auto Standby' function correctly prevents my box from going into standby mode over night. When I turn the TV on in the morning the box is on the same channel that I left it on, and is switched on.

2. If I leave the 'Auto Standby' function enabled my box shuts itself down after a couple of hours inactivity. When I turn the TV on in the morning the box is on the 'Make the Most of your Sky' channel.

NoKnowledge
16-07-2009, 10:10

1. Turning off the 'Auto Standby' function correctly prevents my box from going into standby mode over night. When I turn the TV on in the morning the box is on the same channel that I left it on, and is switched on.

2. If I leave the 'Auto Standby' function enabled my box shuts itself down after a couple of hours inactivity. When I turn the TV on in the morning the box is on the 'Make the Most of your Sky' channel. Same with me, also before the box goes into standby a information box comes up and says "Your box is about to go into standby. Press BACKUP to cancel" or something similar to that.

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 11:29

2. If I leave the 'Auto Standby' function enabled my box shuts itself down after a couple of hours inactivity. When I turn the TV on in the morning the box is on the 'Make the Most of your Sky' channel.

that looks to me then that my auto standby is stuck on enabled.Think I can live with that cheers Rob :)

Raistlin
16-07-2009, 11:31
NP :tu:

zing_deleted
17-07-2009, 08:51
Well this has developed into a nice little fault now

If I turn my tv off while the Sky box is on the Sky box crashes, When I turn the TV back on again I get a picture but its tainted green and the box does no operate at all. I reboot the box its all fine. If I turn my TV to stand by and leave the sky box on its fine. If I turn the Sky box to standby and turn my TV off its fine when I turn my TV on.