PDA

View Full Version : Speeding in a 30 zone

NoKnowledge
13-07-2009, 12:51
Anybody know what the limit is for a 30 zone before you get banned?

I got stopped by unmarked Volvo with camera on board and shown the footage, it was 57 . something? and got a verbal warning.

Russ
13-07-2009, 12:55

I got stopped by unmarked Volvo with camera on board and shown the footage, it was 57 . something? and got a verbal warning.

IIRC if you do more than 30 above the limit it's automatically dangerous driving and a lengthy ban will follow. How you got away with that speed I'll never know, consider yourself very fortunate if all you had was a telling-off.

Osem
13-07-2009, 13:14
Yes you've been very lucky I'd say too given that you were nearly double the limit! If it wasn't due to them having to race off to a more serious incident, it's probably down to the way you handled yourself during their questioning. We all make mistakes and maybe they just concluded you'd learnt a lesson and wouldn't do it again.

Of course all of this is in stark contrast to the impression we usually get from those caught speeding about how the police/authorities never miss a chance to issue speeding tickets for even the most trivial offences, how it's all just a stealth tax on the poor old motorist and why they aren't out there catching proper criminals.... :rolleyes:

superbiatch
13-07-2009, 13:16
IIRC if you do more than 30 above the limit it's automatically dangerous driving and a lengthy ban will follow. How you got away with that speed I'll never know, consider yourself very fortunate if all you had was a telling-off.

Very lucky indeed I'd say! I got 3 points and a £60 fine for doing 34 in a 30, even though it had changed from a 40 less than 100 yards back. I made the mistake, I therefore accept the fine, but it really bugs me when you see people clearly blasting over the speed limit.

Raistlin
13-07-2009, 13:17
Never mind lucky to get off, lucky not to kill someone :erm:

Seriously, I'd take this one as a win and move on.....

NoKnowledge
13-07-2009, 13:56
Anybody know what the limit is for a 30 zone before you get banned? I've been trawling the net to find what the limit is, Can anybody confirm whether the information below is acceptable.

if you are more than 40% over the speed limit, you are at risk of an immediate disqualification, although there seems to be more tolerance when the speed limit broken is 30/40 mph.

Speed Limit--------------Speed Alleged

30 mph--------------------In excess of 51 mph
40 mph--------------------In excess of 66 mph
50 mph--------------------In excess of 75 mph
60 mph--------------------In excess of 85 mph
70 mph--------------------In excess of 100 mph http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/speeding.htm (http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/speeding.htm)

Raistlin
13-07-2009, 13:59
Seriously, it reads like you're actually trying to work out how much over the speed limit you can get away with travelling at before it causes you problems.

Why not just stick to the damn speed limits and be done with it?

Russ
13-07-2009, 14:02
I don't see much point in looking at it like that - what's done is done. I think just about everyone speeds at some point (I certainly do) and while there's no justification, it shows we're all capable of it.

rogerdraig
13-07-2009, 14:06
count yourself as very lucky

NoKnowledge
13-07-2009, 14:32
Seriously, it reads like you're actually trying to work out how much over the speed limit you can get away with travelling at before it causes you problems.

Why not just stick to the damn speed limits and be done with it? I would rather learn and not be done with it. For instance that page I linked says over 51 and I should be disqualified.
On a red light, go over the solid white STOP line and you are liable for a endorsable FPN.
Whether that site is reliable, I don't know.

xpod
13-07-2009, 14:40
Never mind lucky to get off, lucky not to kill someone

Hear hear.
The speed limit outside our house is only 20Mph but i`d say 90% of the traffic i see is going well over 20Mph and a good few are often doing well in excess of 50Mph.
Hell,i`m no angel by any stretch of the imagination but i could throttle some of the idiots i see/hear flying up & down there.

EDIT:Just to remind ......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1cRPbQfgMk
Speed Kills!!

danielf
13-07-2009, 15:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnf6ib823vM ;)

Seriously, the limits are there for a reason. Stick to them...

Russ
13-07-2009, 15:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnf6ib823vM ;)

Is this coming from someone who has never exceeded any speed limit or does that advice apply to yourself too? :)

danielf
13-07-2009, 15:13
Is this coming from someone who has never exceeded any speed limit or does that advice apply to yourself too? :)

I can honestly say I have never exceeded road speed limits, as I don't drive. I will admit to occasionally cycling on the pavement though (at low speeds). :)

Russ
13-07-2009, 15:28
I can honestly say I have never exceeded road speed limits, as I don't drive.

I kind of expected that as a possible reason. Those who don't drive very often fail to understand how easy it is to exceed the limit. OK there's a difference between a couple of MPH and almost doubling it but it helps to be in that situation to know how easy it is.

danielf
13-07-2009, 15:34
I kind of expected that as a possible reason. Those who don't drive very often fail to understand how easy it is to exceed the limit. OK there's a difference between a couple of MPH and almost doubling it but it helps to be in that situation to know how easy it is.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no angel, and I do realise that it can be easy to speed. However, 57 in a 30mph zone is just madness, and shows a complete lack of regard for the safety of fellow road users and pedestrians...

TheNorm
13-07-2009, 16:26
...how easy it is.

It is precisely for that reason that we need to segregate cars and people.

If you go to Alton Towers you will see plenty of safety features to ensure that children cannot be harmed by chunks of metal travelling at high speed. Why don't we apply the same rules to our roads?

Russ
13-07-2009, 16:27
It is precisely for that reason that we need to segregate cars and people.

If you go to Alton Towers you will see plenty of safety features to ensure that children cannot be harmed by chunks of metal travelling at high speed. Why don't we apply the same rules to our roads?

Because those safety features are designed for carriages that are controlled by machinery and not man?

Gary L
13-07-2009, 16:34
Are you attractive? how come they let you off with a warning?

TheNorm
13-07-2009, 16:38
Because those safety features are designed for carriages that are controlled by machinery and not man?

I would have thought machine-controlled safety was much more reliable than you average driver.

Russ
13-07-2009, 16:40
I'd agree, but mechanically-controlled devices and those controlled by man are pretty much incompatible.

Pierre
13-07-2009, 16:44
It all depends on the plod and the magistrate

I think, as a rule of thumb, anything in excess of 20mph over the limit will see you in court. Anything over 30mph over the limit and you can be considered for a ban.

I've been up infront of a JP twice.

1st time was in 1998 for doing 58mph in a 30 zone and that was £140 and 4 points.

(I was actually caught doing 65mph but the plod changed the speed on the ticket as he said he didn't want to see me banned but I needed to be taught a lesson)

2nd time was in 2007 for doing 88mph in a 50 zone and that was £250 and 6 points

I could have been quite easily banned for either, but on both occasions I had a clean licence.

Both were on my bike, I don't speed in my car but a bike's different.

I'll also point out that neither was in abuilt up area, the 30 zone was actually on a country lane, and the 50 zone was on the snake pass in Derbyshire, again in the country, which has had all its limits lowered.

NoKnowledge
13-07-2009, 16:49
Are you attractive? how come they let you off with a warning? Ugly to the extreme - maybe he felt sorry for me.

Seriously though, cops don't just stop you, they follow you for great distance and judge your driving, I was speeding but maybe my driving was good.

Graham M
13-07-2009, 16:54
Both were on my bike, I don't speed in my car but a bike's different.

Yup, far easier to die on a bike, especially if the driver of a car doesn't clock you

Pierre
13-07-2009, 17:02
Yup, far easier to die on a bike, especially if the driver of a car doesn't clock you

True, which is why bikers are- or should be - very aware. Especially of the idiots in their metal cages. I'm very careful on my bike and choose where I travel at speed very carefully.

Russ
13-07-2009, 17:10
If only more bikers had that attitude.

hedgie
13-07-2009, 17:12
Our car has a digital speedo. Somehow this seems to make to easier to stick to the limit. Its the clearest speedo I have ever had in 20 years of driving. I am confident that I now adhere to limits much more.

You really notice in 30 zone because there is just about always some one trying to drive through the back of your car !

Charlie_Bubble
13-07-2009, 18:08

You don't state what time of day/night it was, road location, how many other road users there were etc. Some officers will use their discretion if if it's the middle of the night in a rural area with nobody else around, but TBH I'm very surprised you got away with just a verbal warning for such a speed.

fireman328
13-07-2009, 19:19
I believe there is an offence still on the statutes of "cycling furiously"

martyh
13-07-2009, 20:04
i have just been caught doing 34 in a 40 zone by a van with a camera in it.I had a clean licence for ten years never had a crash in 25yrs ,i think people like me should be shown leniency if a good driving record can be proved and people like NoBrains..sorry ..NoKnowledge should be punished much more heavily

Derek
13-07-2009, 20:11
It all depends on the plod and the magistrate

:tu:

There is no set limit at which a ban kicks in, in some situations going over 100MPH won't result in an immediate ban.

That said going at that speed in a 30 you were *very* lucky not to get a ticket at the very least.

Russ
13-07-2009, 20:14
Are there any circumstances where you'd give someone going at that speed a let-off with a harsh warning?

Derek
13-07-2009, 20:18
Are there any circumstances where you'd give someone going at that speed a let-off with a harsh warning?

Well if I had hot food in the car... ;) (That is a joke in case anyone gets all stroppy about being unprofessional)

I can think of a couple of situations when it would be a suitable course of action rather than slapping a ticket on them or reporting them to the fiscal. In a built up area it would be a definate no-no.

martyh
13-07-2009, 20:21

definately not (unless maybe life or death was involved )
maybe questions should be asked about the plod that stopped him because it strikes me that the op is a regular speeder and someone the "speed kills" campaign is aimed at
if it turned out that plod stopped him doing nearly 60 in a 30 zone gave a warning and then the lad had gone off feeling pleased with himself and killed someone what would happen then?

moaningmags
13-07-2009, 20:30
i have just been caught doing 34 in a 40 zone by a van with a camera in it.I had a clean licence for ten years never had a crash in 25yrs ,i think people like me should be shown leniency if a good driving record can be proved and people like NoBrains..sorry ..NoKnowledge should be punished much more heavily

34 in a 40 zone is legal! Or are your figures mixed up?

chrispuk2004
13-07-2009, 20:43
U got fined for going less than the speed limit?!

martyh
13-07-2009, 20:43

sorry 34 in a 30 zone
getting worked up with this thread because my stepniece was killed by a speeder doing nearly 70 through some traffic lights

moaningmags
13-07-2009, 20:51
I thought you might have them mixed up :)
Sorry about your niece :(

Paul
13-07-2009, 21:02
Not always, some roads have low limits for no obvious reason.

However, 57 in a 30mph zone is just madness, and shows a complete lack of regard for the safety of fellow road users and pedestrians...
See above. I know roads with a 30 limit that are perfectly straight, and not a pedestrian in sight. I also know roads with bends, always have pedetrians in the daytime, and national speed limit (ie 60).

Derek
13-07-2009, 21:05
See above. I know roads with a 30 limit that are perfectly straight, and not a pedestrian in sight.

And on these roads it *might* be more benefical to go down the education route rather than handing out £60 happy notes for people who may have had a clean license for years and were aware of how fast they were going and accept it was wrong.

martyh
13-07-2009, 21:17
Not always, some roads have low limits for no obvious reason.

See above. I know roads with a 30 limit that are perfectly straight, and not a pedestrian in sight. I also know roads with bends, always have pedetrians in the daytime, and national speed limit (ie 60).

have to agree there ,sometimes the limits on a particular road do seem wrong and sometimes very vague for instance all the 20mph limits that are springing up on estates are only advisory not compulsory as far as i am aware ,why not compulsory ?
the national speed limit is another mess ,on a country lane it cannot be right to be allowed to do 60
near were i live a dual carriage way with no schools on it fields most of the way along it is a 30 limit why not a 40 i can't remember any serious accidents on it so that can't be the reason

dave6x
13-07-2009, 21:18
Have you ever seen a child knocked down by a speeding motorist in a village? I have and it's not a pretty sight!!! He was allegedly doing 55mph in a 30mph limited area and was only fined, in my opinion he deserved to be jailed and banned for life!

It's not big and it's not clever, just stupid and criminally irresponsible! The few seconds gained are not worth the lives that are ruined!!!

martyh
13-07-2009, 21:29
And on these roads it *might* be more benefical to go down the education route rather than handing out £60 happy notes for people who may have had a clean license for years and were aware of how fast they were going and accept it was wrong.

that is a better option but unfortunately a van with a camera sticking out the back won't educate many people just raise a bit more revenue .I would suspect (without having any figures to hand )that more people get speeding fines from cameras than from traffic patrols

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Have you ever seen a child knocked down by a speeding motorist in a village? I have and it's not a pretty sight!!! He was allegedly doing 55mph in a 30mph limited area and was only fined, in my opinion he deserved to be jailed and banned for life!

It's not big and it's not clever, just stupid and criminally irresponsible! The few seconds gained are not worth the lives that are ruined!!!

well said :tu:

how many times has a car passed you at speed and a mile down the road it is held up by the same lights , tractor or bus that you have just pulled up behind proving that despite going at twice the limit he didn't get from a to b any quicker ..just more dangerously

Gary L
13-07-2009, 21:53
i have just been caught doing 34 in a 40 zone by a van with a camera in it.

It was Sunday yesterday.

martyh
13-07-2009, 21:56
It was Sunday yesterday.
it's been corrected gary read the thread ;)