PDA

View Full Version : We're missing BBC One. BBC Two, ITV1,Ch4, & Five in our Freeview...why oh why?

Indelible Man
12-07-2009, 21:51
Hi! I haven't noted the exact date when those channels were gone on our Panasonic IDTV but I've noticed it for at least 4 days already. We're here in Huntingdon Cambridgeshire...don't know if this is a regional problem with regards to Freeview. I've done DVB Auto Setup scanning for channels many times already but still our digital channels start at Channel 9 showing BBC Four:confused:...Channels 1-8 only displays "Invalid DVB Channel":mad: Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? My cable TV subscription with Virgin Media is OK though showing all the missing channels BUT I want those Freeview Channels 1-8 to be back. Thanks!

Ben B
12-07-2009, 21:55
Have you tried doing a First Time Installation? Seems a bit strange for them to go missing all of a sudden.

:welcome: to the forum

Indelible Man
12-07-2009, 22:03
Thanks for the quick reply! How do I do a "First Time Installation"?

Ben B
12-07-2009, 22:05
What Panasonic model is it which you have?

Indelible Man
12-07-2009, 22:20
It's a Panasonic TX 32DTX1, 32 inches flat widescreen CRT.

Ben B
12-07-2009, 22:29
Try going on the DVB System Setup menu and running a System Update. It may be that transmitters are being upgraded for switchover in your area

EDIT: Also make sure the settings option at the bottom of this menu is on default

Indelible Man
12-07-2009, 22:51
It says "current version E10_2.31 is up to date" on system update and Settings Option is on Default already. I've found this (http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Resolutions/BBC-and-ITV-channels-missing) and this (http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Resolutions/About-Channels/General-inc.-pay-channels/I-m-receiving-wrong-BBC-and-ITV-regional-programmes) but my Panasonic tv model is not among those expected to have fault AND I have tried also tuning in to Ch 800+s but still it says "Invalid DVB Channel":confused:

nodrogd
12-07-2009, 23:35
According to the DTG (http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/your_aerial/planned_engineering_works/Live_update) website, engineering work started at Sandy Heath on July 9th (where I'm assuming you recieve from) continuing until August. It states service shutdowns but only refers to Mux B, so that may not be your problem.

If the problem persists, get in touch with a Panasonic service centre as you may need a software update. Over the air updates only happen about once a month if you are lucky. An engineer can plug an upgrade card into the CAM at the back of the TV and fix it in a few minutes.

Ben B
12-07-2009, 23:47
Yes I was looking at that before. What transmitter group are you on?

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

found this online: press -V on the front of the TV whilst holding this press the i button on the remote. You get a load of numbers on the screen then turn the TV off. Then turn on again

Indelible Man
12-07-2009, 23:52
What transmitter group are you on?
DigitalUK says that my most likely transmitter is Sandy Heath and that it is in the Anglia TV Region.

An engineer can plug an upgrade card into the CAM at the back of the TV and fix it in a few minutes.
How & where do I contact an engineer? Will it be for a fee or included in the after-sales service?

press -V on the front of the TV whilst holding this press the i button on the remote. You get a load of numbers on the screen then turn the TV off. Then turn on again
I've done it...thanks, I don't know those steps before...but still, after scanning for new channels, those channels previously missing were still not there.

nodrogd
12-07-2009, 23:57
It's a Panasonic TX 32DTX1, 32 inches flat widescreen CRT.

Hold on a minute, I think we might have a 2K COFDM problem here. This upgrade of the DTV stystem is making quite a few early freeview boxes & IDTV's obselete. The list quotes model TX-32DT2 as being affected. You need to check with Panasonic about this.

Ben B
13-07-2009, 00:02
Hold on a minute, I think we might have a 2K COFDM problem here. This upgrade of the DTV stystem is making quite a few early freeview boxes & IDTV's obselete. The list quotes model TX-32DT2 as being affected. You need to check with Panasonic about this.

Yes I checked that list also and didn't see his model so assumed it wouldn't be affected though. Shouldn't this only happen in 2011 when the switchover happens on the Sandy Heath transmitter?

nodrogd
13-07-2009, 00:24
How & where do I contact an engineer? Will it be for a fee or included in the after-sales service?

Any Panasonic repair shop should be able to help, but if you're not on an extended guarantee, there will be a call out fee.

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Yes I checked that list also and didn't see his model so assumed it wouldn't be affected though. Shouldn't this only happen in 2011 when the switchover happens on the Sandy Heath transmitter?

They say other models may be affected, so the list is not exhaustive. It's possible this won't happen until switchover, but the OP needs to consider following it up before spending too much on his existing equipment.

Indelible Man
13-07-2009, 00:40
My telly is only 4yrs old...surely out of warranty but not sure if it would be considered as obsolete already. I really hope this will just be a transient problem...due to poor reception or bad weather maybe. Will try to contact Panasonic support also. Thanks!

beeman
13-07-2009, 13:47
Well i can confirm its DEFFENATLY not an issue (directly) with the transmitter. im in StNeots (also using sandy heath transmitter) and all those channels work fine. So its either a reception issue or a problem with your DVB-T tuner.

Kymmy
13-07-2009, 13:58
Check post #66 of THIS THREAD (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=226431&page=3) on digital spy so definately the 2K COFDM issue

Indelible Man
13-07-2009, 14:05
Reception issue...I can probably manage. I'll just wait for the weather(and the signal) to be fine and will re-scan. Hopefully it will bring back those missing channels. BUT the suggested possible issue with my DVB-T tuner is the one Im not prepared...:banghead:

Check post #66 of THIS THREAD on digital spy so definately the 2K COFDM issue The thread being implied to is dated 2005...I wonder if that is relevant?

Ben B
13-07-2009, 14:10
Reception issue...I can probably manage. I'll just wait for the weather(and the signal) to be fine and will re-scan. Hopefully it will bring back those missing channels. BUT the suggested possible issue with my DVB-T tuner is the one Im not prepared...:banghead:

Give panasonic a ring 0844 844 3852they'll be able to confirm whether or not it is a tuner problem. If it is you will need to buy a separate freeview box.

Kymmy
13-07-2009, 14:20
The thread being implied to is dated 2005...I wonder if that is relevant?

It's when 2K COFDM was announced, not all transmitters were updated instantly.. Also until a channel scan is done it wouldn't show itself..

progers
14-07-2009, 11:40
Have you checked that your TV aerial is OK?

Lots of high winds & rain lately, might have moved it or got water in the coax

Indelible Man
15-07-2009, 14:37
Have you checked that your TV aerial is OK?

Lots of high winds & rain lately, might have moved it or got water in the coax

Yeah, I've been planning to check on it...not done yet. We have lots of things on our loft...I might have to wade through them...that's why Im not too eager. BTW, high winds and/or water are not likely to touch my aerial safely tucked in our loft aren't they:confused:

Matth
15-07-2009, 23:16
Had to retune a neighbour's set today, (Crystal Palace transmitter) - worked this morning, no signal this afternoon - and the switchover is a long way off in this area.

Indelible Man
20-07-2009, 15:19
This is just an update. Did a re-scan again this morning and 2 channels from among the missing showed up...ch 1(bbc one) & ch 2(bbc two)...though the pictures are pixelated and a label of "bad signal" is being shown at the bottom of the screen. Does this confirm my suspicion that all these missing channels were only due to bad reception probably due to inclement weather? I still trust my 3y/o Panasonic TX 32DTX1.

SnoopZ
20-07-2009, 15:42
Have you tried adding a signal booster to it at the back of your tv set to improve your signal?

webcrawler2050
20-07-2009, 15:47
This is just an update. Did a re-scan again this morning and 2 channels from among the missing showed up...ch 1(bbc one) & ch 2(bbc two)...though the pictures are pixelated and a label of "bad signal" is being shown at the bottom of the screen. Does this confirm my suspicion that all these missing channels were only due to bad reception probably due to inclement weather? I still trust my 3y/o Panasonic TX 32DTX1.

If the channels are missing, it means a couple of things. Your ariel doesn't like digital, or your box is dead.

Check this: http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability Might help, also, have you spoken to a local ariel engineer / installer? They will be able to do you an upgrade at a good price