PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Install Damage

solowkey
09-07-2009, 16:02
I have recently ( about 6 weeks ago)had Virgin installed, the service is great , Uk support is good, the call centre support is terrible but so far the installation has been the worst.

It is a long a story which i will try to detail , but basically on the 2nd visit ( which was to install my TV box they forgot, and also to reroute my cable ) they installed the TV , did nothing about the problem cable but in the process moved my hifi unit stretching cables plugged into including a HDMI cable that comes trhough the wall from upstairs.

As a result of this when i cam e back i could see it had been stretched and the HDMI cable was in teh socket at a 45 degree angle, a position that it would not normally fit. I took the cable out and the cable seems to be fine but unfortuntaly the socket on my expensive AV amplifier has been damaged, it has been stretched /bent/ misshappen by the cable beinf forced to the side.

Now while the connection does still work it is definatly damaged, the cable is very loose in the socket and almost falls out without touching it unless jammed in at an angle, i have reported thsi to Virgin but heard nothing yet - I was hoping that you guys could advise me as to where i stand with this and if i could expect tehm to do anything about it ?

the rest of the issue was basically that the orginal install was doen at the opposite side of the rooom to what i had requested, this resulted in the think coax cabel being routed round teh inside of my living room across 2 walls a bay window and a door, when i signed up specifically asked if ut had to come through there and they siad i could have it where i want so i wanted to get this resolved.

The guy who isntalled also left the old cable box broken to bits on teh floor, cable clippings and metal shavings everywhere both on the first visit and then on the second visit aswell which occured due to my compaint, he also isntalle the box in the most unusual and awkward position possible with the worst cabling i have seen.

todayhis manager has coem out and is sorting the cabling, he has agreed taht the guy shoudl have doen it how i wanted and cleared up after himself, so this i should be satisfied with but i am left with damaged equipment and i am not sure what i can do about it

Any comments appreciated

Thanks

jungleguy
10-07-2009, 09:28
I take you had a specific requirement on installation, but weren't present when they did the installation, so no one told the installer how you wanted it done.

VM get alot of accusations that installers break things, (your installer broke my PC I want it replaced, was a classic I've heard) You're gonna need to prove your not one of these blaggers.

solowkey
10-07-2009, 09:45
I wasn’t present but my partner was, he was given instruction as to what was required, the confusion was about where the cable would enter the property, and the fact the engineer refused to put it where i want saying it had to come in through a certain place which customer services and his line manager confirmed to me to be rubbish, but this had no effect on the issue of damage i am asking about.

Basically he was not careful when moving a wheeled HiFi cabinet and as one of the cables went into the wall it had a certain amount of length in it, the engineer has moved this and damaged the socket by straining the cable, he didn't even take enough care to even look how he left it as it was left in a position that was obviously not right and looked 'broken' form a distance.

I have not heard any complaints about broken pc's in fact I searched for anything similar for advice and found nothing so if you can point me to this it might be helpful.

I am not a blagger I have just had lots of issues wit this install (Virgin have recognised this and i have had £80 credit before I have paid any bills, this before this incident) when the install was finally completed I was happy with the cabling and the internet / TV service but I am left with damage to one of my prize possessions which I don’t think I should just accept even if the unit is not broken beyond use, they should take care with what they are doing and should know how to deal with cabling.

Kymmy
10-07-2009, 10:07
Surely if you wanted a cable installed at a certain point on the wall then you should have made sure that there was free access to that point.. The engineers job is to install the cable and connect up the equipment, not move around your furniture..

jungleguy
10-07-2009, 10:22
Apologies, I'm not suggesting your a blagger, as for the comments about broken PC's it's a customer I met, you won't find any ref to that on the WWW.

Maybe you need to raise this through CS, but like I said its hard to prove.

solowkey
10-07-2009, 10:30
yes exactly, the area was clear, i would have rather he didn't touch any of my equipment but he must have moved it when he setup up the modem/TV box.

Its not like he had to move a load of my stuff to get to the point he needed to work from so it not damage was caused by him try to access the area where the cable routed though, its just that the modem was on top of a small wheeled cabinet which contained my hifi gear, it would have been very easy to take the modem from the unit completly without moving it, but he has pushed it across the room a bit and not take care of the cables attched to it.

I cant see what precution i could have taken other than disconnect everything and empty the room incase he damaged something, surely that isnt neccesary ?

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Jungle Guy, thanks - i am in contact with customer services directly (i have been since problems first arose) and the lady there has raised it so its not like theya re trying to dismiss the issue, she also asked me to raise it through the website so it would get most attention, I must say, suprisingly the customer service (in this country) has been pretty impressive considering what i am used to, if it wasnt for the damage i would be really happy but we will just have to see how this turns out,