PDA

View Full Version : Renting a washing machine

webcrawler2050
06-07-2009, 15:49
Afternoon,

My washing machine died today and I dont really want to fork ou £200+ to buy a new one.

I've tried forbes direct to rent one but it just seems such a ballache - can anyone reccomend a good place to rent, without having to go through the hassle of ID etc?

Thank you

altis
06-07-2009, 15:58
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Major-Appliances__Washing-Machine

webcrawler2050
06-07-2009, 16:00
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Major-Appliances__Washing-Machine

Thanks but I don't want the worry or repairs and all that.. thus renting is "easy" or it used to be..

Osem
06-07-2009, 16:09
Afternoon,

My washing machine died today and I dont really want to fork ou £200+ to buy a new one.

I've tried forbes direct to rent one but it just seems such a ballache - can anyone reccomend a good place to rent, without having to go through the hassle of ID etc?

Thank you

Without knowing your financial circumstances it's hard to be specific but have you thought about getting your old one fixed or is it a terminal failure? Unless you're very unlucky, I'd have thought renting's likely to cost you far more than owning your own even if you borrow the money to buy one. We've had only 2 machines in the last 10 years or so and they've both been used daily. Both were made by AEG, although the current one is branded John Lewis.

This is like ours:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230420541/Product.aspx

At £322 with a 3 year guarantee, this works out at just £2pw over that period.

Can't comment on renatl companies but I just checked Forbes Rentals who're charging c. £3.50 pw (min. 18 month contract) for a Bosch widely available for c. £300. This equates to £252 by the end of the contract.

webcrawler2050
06-07-2009, 16:18
Well.. i'd rathe rnot say about finances..

I've had prices, to get it repaired and its been £230 +

It's only for a short term, 6 months its roughly £3.24 a week ish -

Osem
06-07-2009, 16:28
Most contracts will be for longer than 6 months and those (if any) that aren't will probably cost you very dear. How about just buying a cheap working 2nd hand machine if it's just for a short period?

webcrawler2050
06-07-2009, 16:32
It's just having the cash - i'm currently struggling on JSA - which brings me all of £47.50 a week - and Theres a shortfall on my rent of £110 a month - so it's hard, I just physically don't have the cash, i've tried Brighthouse but they want a £20 delivery fee + the first month upfront. Ruddy annoying..

Osem
06-07-2009, 16:41
I can truly sympathise. Have you checked with your local CAB to see if you're getting all the benefits you're entitled to?

altis
06-07-2009, 16:41
Launderettes still exist in most places.

webcrawler2050
06-07-2009, 16:53
I can truly sympathise. Have you checked with your local CAB to see if you're getting all the benefits you're entitled to?

Yep - I spoke to the CAB and I am getting all I am entitled too - My doctor advised me to go on DLA - due to me being deaf in my left ear - with a hearing AID, but I got declined for that.

Laundretts, will work out to be around £5 / £6 for 3 loads - its very exspensive + a ballache.

Osem
06-07-2009, 16:59
Yep - I spoke to the CAB and I am getting all I am entitled too - My doctor advised me to go on DLA - due to me being deaf in my left ear - with a hearing AID, but I got declined for that.

Laundretts, will work out to be around £5 / £6 for 3 loads - its very exspensive + a ballache.

Very difficult situation if you don't have any spare cash. If you could borrow a few pounds from family/friends you could try places like this:

http://www.gumtree.com/london/07/41401607.html

You might just pick up a bargain. Best of luck!

Julian
06-07-2009, 17:12
Most things can be handwashed. ;)

Getting them dry is a bit more awkward - maybe the spin cycle still works on your old machine?

peanut
06-07-2009, 17:20

It is true that you are able to claim for DLA because of hearing loss, but it depends on how you fill in the form, the main being emphasising on the care needed etc.

The actual rate of the care component does not depend on the level of your hearing loss but on the amount of help you need with communication. This will vary from person to person and depends on your ability to communicate with hearing people and how often you need to communicate with hearing people during the day.
You will qualify for the lower rate care component if you need attention for a 'significant portion of the day'. This is around an hour in total.

You will qualify for the middle rate care component if you often need help with communication throughout the day. It is important that you describe how your communication needs are spread across the whole day on your claim form. A diary may help to show how often you need this help. It is important that you describe how your communication needs are spread across the whole day on your claim form. A diary may help to show how often you need this help.

Source: http://www.rnid.org.uk

Not sure if that helps any but worth another try if possible.

I checked because I didn't know about this and I have to wear two hearing aids but I already get middle rate for other illnesses.

webcrawler2050
06-07-2009, 17:24
Well, it's because of the cholestoma, it caused considerable damage to the choclea and bones, resulting in dizzy spells, head rushs and random dizzyness. Thats why, I think I was advised

The old machine doesn't work full stop - just shreads clothes to pieces :(

Silent Wings
06-07-2009, 18:23
you could keep your eye on this site.

http://www.recycle.co.uk/Wiltshire,category,2019,parent,categories

superbiatch
06-07-2009, 18:49
It is true that you are able to claim for DLA because of hearing loss, but it depends on how you fill in the form, the main being emphasising on the care needed etc.

Source: http://www.rnid.org.uk

Not sure if that helps any but worth another try if possible.

I checked because I didn't know about this and I have to wear two hearing aids but I already get middle rate for other illnesses.

peanutkp has a point here, I've been told by many welfare rights workers that most claims get rejected first time around. Its worth another go even if you get lower rate and it helps with your financial shortfall.

dilli-theclaw
06-07-2009, 18:52
Indeed I had to appeal my DLA a couple of times.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

...oh and it's definately worth getting help with the forms too!

wigro
06-07-2009, 19:08
Il ask arround and keep me ears open for you , im in willtshire .

You never know ;)

webcrawler2050
06-07-2009, 19:11
Yeah - I apealed - my surgeon wrote a massive 4 page A4 letter explaining the dangers of my condition - pain in the ass really.

Wirgo - thank you so much!

peanut
06-07-2009, 19:27
I know that if you're a member of certain disability groups, like the NACC or UK National Kidney Federation (or both in my case) then if you do end up in financial trouble then you can apply for their welfare fund for items such as washing machines etc.

webcrawler2050
07-07-2009, 00:39
I know that if you're a member of certain disability groups, like the NACC or UK National Kidney Federation (or both in my case) then if you do end up in financial trouble then you can apply for their welfare fund for items such as washing machines etc.

I actually found a way to buy one out right - I spoke to my local job centre, who put me in touch with the "crisis" loan people - who then asked me what I needed - i told them washing machine, I got £130 to buy one - but to pay back at a rate of £12 a week. Nevermind lol Least I got a washer - well after I get the giro tomorrow.

moaningmags
07-07-2009, 00:44
Glad to hear you're sorted. If you struggle with the repayments, write and tell them, they will reduce the payment. It means it will take longer but you won't struggle so badly.

webcrawler2050
07-07-2009, 00:45
Glad to hear you're sorted. If you struggle with the repayments, write and tell them, they will reduce the payment. It means it will take longer but you won't struggle so badly.

Horrid though - felt like begging - all I care about at the moment, is having the ability to "wash clothes"

moaningmags
07-07-2009, 00:48
Horrid though - felt like begging - all I care about at the moment, is having the ability to "wash clothes"

I think anytime you have to go near a benefit's office it feels like begging.
For more long term needs, say your bed is falling apart or your cooker gets condemned or you have no storage for you clothes, you can apply for a budgeting loan.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017534

Tells you more.

webcrawler2050
07-07-2009, 00:49
Yeah they mentioned a community care grant - but I didnt want to push my luck - plus I felt bad enough, just asking for a washer

moaningmags
07-07-2009, 00:56
Push your luck, you're entitled to it!!
Don't you dare feel bad when there's spongers out there getting benefits they only got because they lied!!
My husband hates being labelled disabled, I hate the ones who claim to be but work on the fly and earn more than I do!
Can I ask, why is there a shortfall on your rent? Why is housing benefit not covering it for you? If I'm being too nosey feel free to tell me to butt out.

webcrawler2050
07-07-2009, 01:08
It's Swindon Borough Council - I have a 1 bed flat - not massive - just enough space for me and the little one - They said, I am only entitled to "Single Room Rent" which is something like £85 a week - They pay £165 every two weeks + I have to pay £24 on the poll tax aswell - it's just a nightmare. I dont want to be seen as a spounger though, this time last year, I had my own business, doing well and I lost focus, due to various personal issues. I get labelled disabled because of my on going ear issues - it's a frigging nightmare and being 23 - the hearing aid is "not cool" but I dont care as I can hear things again, like my little girl speaking etc.

I have to say one thing, as much as people slate the NHS for me, they have been stunning - I only had to wait 2 weeks for my OP - it was a 15 hour OP and I had a reaction to the morphin and when I finally got put into the ward, i got my own "private" room with sky etc - I was amazed. I see them every week, without fail and they are superb! Good ole ENT.

I dont want to be perceived as one of those spoungers, everytime I go to the Job Centre, to sign on - I get judged by the fake women behind the counter - offering me English and Maths classes with a bunch of dead beat chavs - I simply told her, don't insult my intelligence. The council, gave me a Discretionary Housing Payments form - aparantly for the short fall. It's tough but you know - I can't say what i am thinking as It would earn me a ban :D

moaningmags
07-07-2009, 01:18
I know the feeling, my husband was a lorry driver earning really good money. We owned our own house and life was good.
Then he starting getting pains in his legs and 6 years later he still is, critical illness wouldn't pay out without a diagnosis and we ended up losing our house. Although we were lucky as up here in Scotland they have a place called Communities Scotland they helped us to sell the house back to the council and continue to live here paying rent.

We went to see the disability officer in the benefit's office and given my husband can barely walk she tried to send him for an interview helping to deliver large goods :erm:
I always think of benefit's officers as being typically like the one on Bread, makes me smile when I have to go in :)

Nidge
07-07-2009, 04:15
Afternoon,

Thank you

My Stepdaughter has just rented a washer from a company in Manchester, when I get back from work later I'll get the number off her and mail it onto you. It works out at £6 per month for a decent machine and they do all the repairs if it breaks down.

---------- Post added at 04:15 ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 ----------

You've no need to feel like that, you've paid into the system unlike some of the scumbags who roam around our streets drinking and smoking all day.

Glad you've got yourself sorted on the washing machine side of things.

wigro
07-07-2009, 22:00
I actually found a way to buy one out right - I spoke to my local job centre, who put me in touch with the "crisis" loan people - who then asked me what I needed - i told them washing machine, I got £130 to buy one - but to pay back at a rate of £12 a week. Nevermind lol Least I got a washer - well after I get the giro tomorrow.

Really glad to see your sorted with a machine :)

webcrawler2050
08-07-2009, 00:14
Really glad to see your sorted with a machine :)

Well sort of - waiting on paperwork to come back from the Jobcentre. I also reapplied for DLA on the phone and had to explain the dizzyness stuff and got accepted. Which is a relief, means I get a little help now. ..

georgepomone
09-07-2009, 01:05
Hope things get a bit better for you. It should never occur a situation like this but there are many that are struggling and shouldn't be.
Hope Good Luck comes your way.
George.

webcrawler2050
09-07-2009, 02:02
Hope things get a bit better for you. It should never occur a situation like this but there are many that are struggling and shouldn't be.
Hope Good Luck comes your way.
George.

Thanks - things will pick up - just my area, is short on IT work and thats all I know - i've been offered "Junior" roles but it's hard to go back down to a junior again.. so, see what happens..

peanut
09-07-2009, 02:37
Well sort of - waiting on paperwork to come back from the Jobcentre. I also reapplied for DLA on the phone and had to explain the dizzyness stuff and got accepted. Which is a relief, means I get a little help now. ..

You got accepted for DLA over the phone? And they agreed there and then? Crikey, what's your secret??