PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh

Graham M
02-07-2009, 00:23
I've been invited to visit Bangladesh possibly later in the year by a friend who's family have a house there, so free food and board - just have to save the air fare and some spending money. I'm just wondering if anyone has been there and can recommend me some places to go, sights to see, etc. the place I will be staying is in the North-East about 5 hours from Dhaka.

:)

Thanks

danielf
02-07-2009, 01:06
I've been invited to visit Bangladesh possibly later in the year by a friend who's family have a house there, so free food and board - just have to save the air fare and some spending money. I'm just wondering if anyone has been there and can recommend me some places to go, sights to see, etc. the place I will be staying is in the North-East about 5 hours from Dhaka.

:)

Thanks

Hmmmm. Bangladesh...

I've been to Dhaka (twice) visiting my then girlfriend's parents who were ex-pat aid workers. This was about 15 years ago, so things will have changed. Regardless, I don't know how much you've seen of the world, but if you've not been outside the Western world, I'd be hesitant to recommend Bangladesh as a first stop in seeing the rest...

Graham M
02-07-2009, 08:25
I have been elsewhere, I just don't think this is an opportunity I can afford to turn down, especially given the people I will be going with know how things work there, etc. anyway I'm not looking for people to put me off going, rather for advice when I get there, what to do, what to see, what to avoid, etc.

danielf
02-07-2009, 10:13
Well. I'm afraid that all I can say is that in and around Dhaka there wasn't a lot to do or see when I was there. It just isn't much of a tourist destination. At least, it wasn't in the early 90s, but somehow I doubt this has changed much...

Edit: On a more positive note: The Lonely Planet's Thorntree forums is an excellent place to get travel advice. (Though, as customary on forums there can be quite a bit of one-upmanship amongst the posters). The Bangladesh section is here (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=16&keywordid=64).