PDA

View Full Version : How the cable network works?

digitalspace
01-07-2009, 19:04
Hi guys

Just wondering if any of you here could shed some light on how the cable network works. I'm kinda geeky with that sorta thing, I'm interested in how the fibre gets to the cabs, and then to street level etc. Any pictures and stuff would be grand :)

Thanks! :)

fatassmichael
01-07-2009, 19:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial - that gives the typical distribution system.

digitalspace
01-07-2009, 20:55
Thank you for that, interesting stuff :)

When one refers to a "UBR", are they talking about equipment in the green box in the street? Does the street cabinet share phone and cable connections?

on in an hour!
01-07-2009, 21:14
Thank you for that, interesting stuff :)

When one refers to a "UBR", are they talking about equipment in the green box in the street? Does the street cabinet share phone and cable connections?
a UBR is a universal broadband router situated in the local/regional headends.street cabs do indeed share the telco/catv connections,albeit in many different guises depending on the area you live in (but all essentially have the same outcome,i.e. rf signal down a co-axial cable to the house and a telephone line down a paired copper cable to the house) ;)