PDA

View Full Version : What to wear?

punky
30-06-2009, 14:14
I'm going for a IT volunteering project. Its not a job so I don't have to be suited-and-booted, but I still want to be respectful.

I had my first interview the other day. I wore a grey shirt, black jeans (not stone washed but proper jet black jeans, almost like trousers) and shoes. I guess I made an impression, I need to go back to process my CRB stuff. I figure I can be more casual, but much should I go? I'm thinking polo shirt, casual jeans and black trainers maybe? Or is that too drastic? Or still go with the shirt, black jean/trousers, shoes? or go in a t-shirt and be compfortable?

Many thanks in advance.

superbiatch
30-06-2009, 14:16
I'd go in whatever you feel comfy in, obviously don't be so laid-back that you're horizontal but jeans/cargoes and a t-shirt are fine - especially in this weather.

STONEISLAND
30-06-2009, 14:20
I'm going for a IT volunteering project. Its not a job so I don't have to be suited-and-booted, but I still want to be respectful.

I had my first interview the other day. I wore a grey shirt, black jeans (not stone washed but proper jet black jeans, almost like trousers) and shoes. I guess I made an impression, I need to go back to process my CRB stuff. I figure I can be more casual, but much should I go? I'm thinking polo shirt, casual jeans and black trainers maybe? Or is that too drastic? Or still go with the shirt, black jean/trousers, shoes? or go in a t-shirt and be compfortable?

Many thanks in advance.

You need to make an impression! I suggest shoes open shirt (top button) and trousers.

Cannot go wrong.

Good luck!

Nugget
30-06-2009, 15:07

Many thanks in advance.

Personally, I'd go in the same combo as the first time (or similar), cos you'll probably find that that may have helped to get them to bring you back.

That way, at least you could ask them what the standard dress-code would be :)

altis
30-06-2009, 15:17
I'd go with the same stuff too. Not least because they'll have an easier job of remembering you.

punky
01-07-2009, 09:38
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The standard dress code there is very casual, which is what I expected. I'm guessing the volunteering is even looser. Obviously I wanted to make a good impression and show some respect.

Thanks again, good points to ponder.

bringerofnoise
01-07-2009, 13:09
Noooo, get one of those "no i will not fix your computer" t shirts and go in that ;)

Nugget
01-07-2009, 13:43
Noooo, get one of those "no i will not fix your computer" t shirts and go in that ;)

What, like this one?

:D

Raistlin
01-07-2009, 13:44
No.....like this:

http://www.play.com/Clothing/T-Shirts/4-/6433550/No-I-Will-Not-Fix-Your-Computer/Product.html

bringerofnoise
01-07-2009, 18:09
Thats the one :D

skyblueheroes
03-07-2009, 22:58
Plain open top shirt and trousers as someone suggested.

Halcyon
03-07-2009, 23:24
What are other people wearing?
Where I work the IT people were once regarded to wear casual clothes but in line with the other departments we now try to look smart and although casual, fit in more and look more proffesional.

Roseblue
04-07-2009, 15:56
I think going along in the same clothes is a good idea if you are seeing the same person as it will help them to remember their impression of you first time around. Good luck.