PDA

View Full Version : Changing your last name back to how it was

wwe
28-06-2009, 15:47
hi just a question my mate wants to change his last name back to what it used to be but he doesn't know how to do this his mum got married when he was about 10 and she left him over about 6 years ago but he doesn't want to carry his name any more he wants it back to what he was when he was born how does he go about doing that

Wayfair
28-06-2009, 15:49
You have to do it by Deed Poll, pretty painless and cheap as well..

http://www.ukdps.co.uk/

Peter_
28-06-2009, 15:50
If he did not change by deed poll he can just inform everyone of the change including his bank and utility companies.

superbiatch
28-06-2009, 15:50
I think it costs about a tenner to change it back by deed poll, I reverted back to my maiden name before I was divorced by deed poll.

Russ
28-06-2009, 15:54
Do not do it by deed poll - it will cost more than you need to spend.

Just copy and paste the wording from http://www.gorge.org/experiences/deedpoll-wording.shtml and replace the red lettering with the relevant details.

Print it out (do NOT sign it yet) and go along to a solicitor. Tell them you need someone to sign a statutory declaration that you will provide.

A solicitor's signature will cost you £5, that's all you need to pay. You sign the form in front of him, he signs to confirm he's witnessed it and will stamp it.

You're all done. Anyone that charges you more than that is taking you for a ride. A statutory declaration is accepted by banks, the DVLA, Customs and Revenue and the DWP.

fireman328
28-06-2009, 15:56
Deed poll or just by telling all you wish to be called that name, some people advertise in the local papers.

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 15:57
There's deed poll or Stat dec. Just be aware that there's also different rules in Scotland.

It doesn't even need to cost anything as long as you have a witness

One way needs a solicitor similar, the other method is just a signed document (can never remember which one is which)

In England there's also common usage which doesn;t need any documentation but you might have problems with official documents...

BTW...what's on his BC? just that common usage is great if supported by a BC in that name...

Russ
28-06-2009, 16:00
It doesn;t even need to cost anything as long as you have a witness

While that's true, banks and government departments have a policy that name changes have to be countersigned by a solicitor or a JP.

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 16:09
While that's true, banks and government departments have a policy that name changes have to be countersigned by a solicitor or a JP.

Actually that's just the banks not reading thier own policies, we had all this argument with Jenna changing her surname to match mine... and once pointed out to them that both are legal within the UK they normally go away check it's true then happily accept it...

Deed poll can be signed by anyone where as a Stat Dec has to be a commisioner of Oaths or a Justice of the Peace...

Weird thing is that deed polls are simpler and more readily accepted but Stat Decs are more official yet few accept them purely as no-one know's about them ;)

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Here's a good FAQ regarding it all

http://www.ukdps.co.uk/OtherFAQs.html

Russ
28-06-2009, 16:14
Actually that's just the banks not reading thier own policies, we had all this argument with Jenna changing her surname to match mine... and once pointed out to them that both are legal within the UK they normally go away check it's true then happily accept it...

Not too sure about that, I had a letter back from Barclays and TSB (as it was) when I changed my surname, both telling me I had to get my document signed by a solicitor as it was their policy. Banks might be fickle that way but the DVLA, DWP and Customs and Revenue all require the stat/deed poll to signed and stamped by a solicitor.

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 16:16
Not gonna argue with you but I know they don't and by UK law they don't...that's the problem is that they're not trained properly as to what they can/can't accept according to Law as it is today and not 30-40 years ago :(

Russ
28-06-2009, 16:19
Not gonna argue with you but I know they don't and by UK law they don't...that's the problem is that they're not rained properly as to what they can/can't accept according to Law as it is today and not 30-40 years ago :(

There seems to be confusion over it then - try sending your driving licence back with a request to change the name ;) - but all I know is a fiver and a printout of the above link was accepted everywhere I went :shrug:

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 16:26
There seems to be confusion over it then - try sending your driving licence back with a request to change the name ;) - but all I know is a fiver and a printout of the above link was accepted everywhere I went :shrug:

But then an internet printout isn't a signed nor certified document by a solicitor's hand ;)

That's the thing there's so many deedpoll sites saying that our documents are accepted and others aren't that people believe them and end up paying for a service that is essentially free

Russ
28-06-2009, 16:31
But then an internet printout isn't a signed nor certified document by a solicitor's hand ;)

Read the post again ;)

I said you need to print it out and take it along to a solicitor to be signed - for £5 he or she will sign and stamp it as witness to your signature. That or the more expensive deed poll is the only document the government will accept for a change of name unless their procedures have changed in the last 3 years.

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 16:36
Sowwy :D Jumped ahead on that one...

It's amazing though how many people and businesses just don't know or understand the law even in respect to what they can/can't accept..

One place court building's staff wouldn't accept a friends Stat Dec until he pointed out that it was actually signed in thier own building ;)

roadwolf
29-06-2009, 11:54
How to change your name

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

From the Citizens Advice web site.

Russ
29-06-2009, 12:04
But bear in mind banks and government departments won't just accept your say-so.

Kymmy
29-06-2009, 12:10
How to change your name

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

From the Citizens Advice web site.

But bear in mind banks and government departments won't just accept your say-so.

Yep, that's the COMMON USAGE I quoted in my first post.. As Russ says though you;ve got lack of documentation for changing your name on official documents...

But in the OP's friends case as he was born with the name he wishes to change to then he will have a Birth Certificate in that name so it would be OK to apply for a passport or new provisional DL with it ;)