PDA

View Full Version : Download speeds slow today - 10mb connection

Gar
21-06-2009, 15:43
Hi guys.

I have done a number of popular online speed tests today, and my download connection speeds appear to be much slower, but it is fluctuant.

Usually I get a steady connection of close to my promised 10mb, but today speed tests are returning at between 1mb and 4mb. The speed tests appear to start slowly at around 1mb (sometimes slower still), and then gradually crawl up towards 2mb. Sometimes they creep up to 3mb or 4mb. Other times they return as normal (close to 10mb).

I'm not capped, I know that. I'm just wondering if it could be a problem in my area, or if it is a wider problem affecting other parts of the UK too. I am in South Wales.

(Nobody else is using my connection at the moment by the way.)

edit - My upload speed is unaffected. It is normal.

Peter_
21-06-2009, 16:57
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

Gar
21-06-2009, 22:19
Thank you for the reply, Moldova.

When I follow the link provided, it requires a username and password. Where do you find these details out?

Peter_
21-06-2009, 22:22
Thank you for the reply, Moldova.

When I follow the link provided, it requires a username and password. Where do you find these details out?
root and root are the username and passwoed and the top link provides them as part of the link just say ok to it.

Gar
21-06-2009, 22:42
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant (It's a VM 250)

Downstream:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.2 dB

Upstream:
Upstream transmit Power Level : 56.5 dBmV

Peter_
21-06-2009, 22:44
Upstream:
Upstream transmit Power Level : 56.5 dBmV

The Upstream is borderline to high and may be causing issues with your connectivity so I would advise calling Tech Support so they can run some checks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Gar
21-06-2009, 22:46
Thank you again for your help. May I ask, what is the normal range for both downstream and upstream? In terms of power level.

The Upstream is borderline to high and may be causing issues with your connectivity so I would advise calling Tech Support so they can run some checks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Peter_
21-06-2009, 22:49
Thank you again for your help. May I ask, what is the normal range for both downstream and upstream? In terms of power level.
This link will be able to help. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

Gar
21-06-2009, 23:29
Thank you, Moldova. Appreciate it.

Out of curiousity, could it be local maintenence in my general region causing the issue? For example, if certain services are being upgraded (50meg, etc), might it be affecting me and others close to me?

I ask because on Friday, for the first time in forever, my connection cut out for a few hours (in the evening). The modem was synced, but the 'ready' light on the modem kept flashing. Eventually it fixed itself and my connection was restored. Could these two things be related?

Peter_
22-06-2009, 06:19
Thank you, Moldova. Appreciate it.

Out of curiousity, could it be local maintenence in my general region causing the issue? For example, if certain services are being upgraded (50meg, etc), might it be affecting me and others close to me?

I ask because on Friday, for the first time in forever, my connection cut out for a few hours (in the evening). The modem was synced, but the 'ready' light on the modem kept flashing. Eventually it fixed itself and my connection was restored. Could these two things be related?
All I would be doing was guessing, my recommendation is to call up and let them run some checks on the connection.