PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media complaint

airmark
20-06-2009, 01:37
Hello,

I just sent this email to Virgin Media's CEO and some other email addresses I found by searching online. If you have the patience to read it and you have any suggestions on what I should do, please do advise.

Thanks

19 June 2009

Re Virgin Media account number xxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir:

I am writing to formally complain about my recent experience with Virgin Media and request to cancel my service immediately, following two weeks of the most shocking customer service that I have ever experienced.

I have been a subscriber to your internet service for nearly three years and signed up initially because I was delighted with your flexibility which allowed me to have broadband service without a land line or television service. Until a couple of weeks ago, I had been satisfied with the service I received, which was your 2 MB, “Medium” package.

One day I happily received a communication from you stating that I was entitled to a free upgrade to 10 MB which seemed great. Soon after that I checked my account online and realized that there was a price hike associated with it. When I called customer service to ask why I was told that while the upgrade itself was for free prices had been raised at the same time. This was bad communication on your end telling your customers they’re getting something for free and then charging indirectly for it. Since it turned out that the upgrade was absolutely NOT free, I asked if it was possible to go back to the package I had before, i.e. not get the upgrade but not have to pay extra either, and the customer service representative said no problem, it would be done straightaway.

To my horror, a few days later I received a letter dated 2nd June confirming that my service had been changed, but I noticed that it had been changed to a different package to what I had before the not so free upgrade (2MB Small instead of Medium) AND with a 12 month contract, where previously I had only a month-to-month commitment. This was the first big mistake you made – intentionally deceiving your customer by signing them up to something they never asked for without telling them.

I then had to call you on the 6th June and ask why my package had been changed and I was told that I couldn’t have the 2MB Medium package because it was not available anymore. I should add that the package I’d been changed to was vastly inferior to what I had before, and I didn’t know why it was so incredibly slow. When I pressed the customer service representative to explain why I’d been changed to a different package to what I had before, I was told that the first customer service representative I spoke to was mistaken in telling me I could go back to that package. But despite the fact that he acknowledged this was a mistake on Virgin’s end, he said he still couldn’t do anything about it, except upgrade me to a bigger package (10MB Large package for £17). As a result of the Virgin Media representative’s mistake in communication I was stuck in a situation where I could either get a worse service at the same price or I would have to pay a higher price than before in order to get a better service. The very friendly sales representative said that I had the option to cancel anyway if I wasn’t happy with the service, so I could give it a go and see what I thought. With that reassurance and because I was finding the 2MB Small service very slow I agreed, even though I wasn’t happy with the fact that I had to pay more that what I would pay had I stayed with the free upgrade in order to get the same service, and all because of uninformed and/or poorly trained sales representatives.

The following day, 7th June, I noticed that the speed I was actually getting wasn’t 10 MB. I called technical support to try to work out why. They asked me to perform all of the standard checks to make sure my computers were connected to the internet, even after I explained that they WERE connected but that the data speed was too slow. After spending hours on the phone to them they were still not able to work out what the problem was and we eventually ended the call. After hanging up I did some research on the web and found out that Virgin, along with many internet service providers, do what is called “traffic management” or “throttling” and that was the cause of my slow internet speed. This was another mistake on your end – having poorly trained technical support staff that isn’t even aware of the standard practices of your company that affect your service.

Because I had been misled by customer service representatives in the past, the day after that, 8th June, I called back to double check that I would be able to cancel my service. As soon as my call was answered I asked to talk to a manager in order to ensure that I was getting the right information. I explained my situation to him, including my disappointment about the traffic management policy and he a) said that if I wasn’t happy with what Virgin offered I should go elsewhere and b) he assured me that yes, I had 28 days to cancel my service, no questions asked. I specifically asked to confirm the 28 day deadline for the money back guarantee and he categorically assured me that that was correct.

So I shopped around to find a better alternative. One of your competitors offered an 8 MB package with no traffic management for the same price (including the BT line that I also had installed in the meantime) and because I knew I had 28 days to cancel my contract with you and didn’t want an interruption in my service, I signed up. Today the competitor’s service was connected and so I called your customer service to cancel my contract.

I was appalled when I was told that I could not cancel my contract. The reasons given were as follows: The right to cancel within 28 days only applies to a “new service”, and my having received a new contract for a different internet package did not constitute a “new service”. I received a letter which states this, however nowhere does it define what new means and even though I read the letter carefully, there was no doubt in my mind that this letter was consistent with the 28 day promise I had been given on the phone. And why would you send me a letter stating terms that do not apply to the contract that the terms accompany? Isn’t that misleading?

In my view, signing up for a new contract for 10MB broadband, whereas before I had 2MB broadband, constitutes a new service (in fact it required my modem to be reset in order to commence). In Virgin Media’s point of view, it’s not a new service, and you claim that is an undisputed fact that is not even subject to interpretation!

When I mentioned the fact that in our telephone conversation on the 8th of June, the customer service manager told me that I indeed had 28 days to cancel (so at the very least it is subject to interpretation if even people within the company can interpret it differently), I was told that either a) I am lying or b) that person was wrong. For the indirect accusation that I was lying, I proposed to find the recording and listen to it, at which point I was told that only some of the phone conversations are recorded for training and quality purposes. So obviously this particular conversation was (very conveniently) not available. On the second case (the manager was wrong), why in the world you have company representatives (not to mention supervisors/managers) answering the phones if their word cannot be trusted as fact?

At the end of the phone call the customer service representative said he would contact the previous manager to verify that he had indeed promised me that I had 28 days to cancel (again indirectly accusing me of lying) and we would go from there.

To sum up: I was signed up to a 12 month contract for an inferior service without my knowledge and consent. When I complained about it, I was penalized for it by being given no option but to have to sign up for a more expensive service, with another (false) promise that I can cancel within 28 days. I had this confirmed by a manager the very next business day after the new service (or new “package” according to your terminology) started. And when I called to cancel, you didn’t acknowledge your past mistakes and instead tried to hide behind ambiguities in the wording of your letters in order to deny me what you had promised me before.

I spent two hours on the phone today talking to various customer service representatives and throughout this time I found a complete unwillingness of your staff to acknowledge that Virgin had made a catalogue of errors. Instead of wanting to serve me, they instead wanted to prove me wrong and find ways to avoid giving me what is due. I truly don’t understand why you have this mission of punishing your customers instead of listening and understanding their point of view. Surely your motto must be “the customer is always wrong”. I can assure you I shall NEVER purchase anything from Virgin Media again, and furthermore I will share this letter with as many fellow consumers as possible so they can avoid the nightmare I have suffered as your customer.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. Another appalling practice is your undue badmouthing of competitors. When I mentioned that I moved to O2, the person in customer service had the nerve to say “you will notice that you will be lucky to get even 1MB although they advertise 8MB”. I can imagine that many uninformed customers would fall for this, however as I said, I have the service up and running already and the speed I am getting is actually 9.5MBit (i.e. above the advertised!) and that’s constant, with no limits and no traffic management (that obviously your representative forgot to mention). When I pointed it out to him, he said “oh, ok, you must be the exception”!!! I found this extremely unprofessional.

PPS. In this letter I am copying every email address @virgin domain that I could find on the Internet and I will also be sending it via post, in the hope that it will reach someone responsible enough to take ownership of the complaint. It is very sad (especially aspiring to be a leading media and telecom company) that you don't have an official email address for communicating with your clients but rather point to a semi-useless form on the website (useless since it doesn't allow enough text to be inputted). I will also be posting it in web forums with the dual goal of finding some help in my case and educating others about the way you choose to do business.

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Well I would expect that Virgin will release you from your contract. Hope you enjoy O2.

I fail to see how that is a bad thing, since you were previously paying £18 for a 2Mbit package?

I was actually paying £10 (I was on a promotion) and was told that after the upgrade (the free 2Mb->10Mbit one) it would go to £15. And that would be without any minimum term contract, just month-to-month. So, after having gone through the unintended signing up to the 12 month 2MB Small package and then being told that it would in the end cost £17 to get what to 10MB didn't sound very good. In addition to that (I forgot to mention it in the letter), when the paperwork actually arrived, it wasn't even £17, but rather £18! Not that an extra £1 makes such a huge difference but it's another big drop in an already overflowing glass (and yet another misrepresentation of clear facts - in this case a simple number - from the sales team)

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 01:49
Sorry I deleted my original post to reply with a new one, but as you have quoted it there isn't much point

I was actually paying £10 (I was on a promotion) and was told that after the upgrade (the free 2Mb->10Mbit one) it would go to £15 And that would be without any minimum term contract, just month-to-month.The terms of the original £10 offer was that BB M went up to £18 after it ended. Because of the price change it would have actually gone to £20.

So both BB S and the BB L price you were offered would have been cheaper

---------- Post added at 01:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 ----------

There seems to have been some misundersandings on both sides.

As I said, it seems the best way forward is Virgin to release you from your contract, and accept that mistakes were made - which is what they will probably do. Virgin will also be able to identify the agents that gave you incorrect information and make sure they get refresher training

MovedGoalPosts
20-06-2009, 01:53
What a mess :(

I don't think there is going to be a satisfacotyr resolution here. The simplest option will be that both the customer and contractor agree to walk away from any obligations, i.e. the contract between the OP and VM is considered void.

What this really demonstrates is that VM, and customers, should not be relying on telesales. If there is a change of services required it must be documented. The full terms of the change, including effect on contract terms, costs and such like should be documented. OK so customers and VM generally do want things to happen instantly. In some cases it will need to wait for snail mail, but most customers will now have email access. So why don't VM use that in the interests of their own protection and that of their customers?

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 01:54
I would however say at no stage was any of what you have detailed 'intentional deception' as you have put it

airmark
20-06-2009, 01:54
Sorry I deleted my original post to reply with a new one, but as you have quoted it there isn't much point

After the promotion it would have gone to £20

Yes, I was wondering why the quoting didn't work ...

So, yes, after the promotion it would have been raised but a) I would have the option to leave whenever I wanted it, since I wouldn't be tied to any contract, and b) still, I should be allowed to enjoy the promotion until it ended and not end it prematurely to tie me to a new 12 month contract at a worse service without even mentioning that I would be signing a minimum term contract. So, it doesn't change the fact that they sneakily tried (successfully so far) to tie me to something that I would never have agreed had I known all the facts.

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 01:56
but most customers will now have email access. So why don't VM use that in the interests of their own protection and that of their customers?
Because unfortunately for the most part Virgin don't have verified contact e-mails for customers.

Until they can be confident enough that they do - they have to rely on the postal service to fulfil their legal obligations

airmark
20-06-2009, 01:59
I would however say at no stage was any of what you have detailed 'intentional deception' as you have put it

The signing up of the 12-month contract in the small (aka crippled) 2MBit package without mentioning either the fact that it's an inferior package or that it's a new 12-month contract is either intentional deception or completely clueless sales representatives. Given that they would have to be complete idiots to not notice the apparent differences between what they were selling me versus what I had before (plus the fact that they stand to gain from that sale) makes me think it's intentional.

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 02:00
still, I should be allowed to enjoy the promotion until it ended
Yes you should - the price change should not have affected your service until the £10 offer ended.

So, it doesn't change the fact that they sneakily tried (successfully so far) to tie me to something that I would never have agreed had I known all the facts.
What I am trying to seperate is the actions of an agent compared with the policy of the company.

The agent should have definately mentioned all of the terms of service and the new contract. It is absolutely not the company policy of VM to not do this

MovedGoalPosts
20-06-2009, 02:02
Because unfortunately for the most part Virgin don't have verified contact e-mails for customers.

Until they can be confident enough that they do - they have to rely on the postal service to fulfil their legal obligations

In which case, for the protection of VM and their customer, they must unfortunately delay any changes to contract until the paperwork is received and acknowledged. Simple principle of Contract Law.

It's irrelevant from the customer's perspective that the systems have changed and the package the customer was on is no longer available when the cusomer was transferred to an "upgrade" which was not as offered. Legally the customer is entitled to that cooling off period, especially if the package being offered was flawed. VM whether their systems will allow it or not, must provide at least the same package that the customer was on.

airmark
20-06-2009, 02:09
Yes you should - but the price change should not have affected your service until the £10 offer ended.

It shouldn't. But it did as soon as I signed up for the "free" upgrade to 10MBit. And again, this is not the main complaint. The main complaint is signing me up to a 12-month contract without my consent and then claiming that they can't undo it and take me back to month-to-month (which I could cancel any time).

What I am trying to seperate is the actions of an agent compared with the policy of the company.

The agent should have definately mentioned all of the terms of service and the new contract. It is absolutely not the company policy of VM to not do this

Well, it is the company's responsibility to recruit and train its people according to its policy. In the eyes of the consumer, a company's agent is the company, especially if that person is a supervisor/manager (I'm referring to the person I spoke on the 8th of June).

And if any person representing the company fails to properly represent the company's policy/ethos, then any subsequent person who deals with the case should apologise and compensate the customer. It's called customer service. It's what makes people be loyal to companies.

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 02:12
In which case, for the protection of VM and their customer, they must unfortunately delay any changes to contract until the paperwork is received and acknowledged. Simple principle of Contract Law.Oh yes I can see that working.

What happens if a contract gets delayed in the post in either direction so an install has to be cancelled, or an upgrade does go through on the agreed date?

Anytime a new contract is agreed, the customer has an unconditional right to cancel 7 days from getting written confirmation of the new term. It is the DSR (http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/legal/distance-selling-regulations/) and is law.

It's irrelevant from the customer's perspective that the systems have changed and the package the customer was on is no longer available when the cusomer was transferred to an "upgrade" which was not as offered. Legally the customer is entitled to that cooling off period, especially if the package being offered was flawed. VM whether their systems will allow it or not, must provide at least the same package that the customer was on.
I completely agree, and so does Virgin - which is why it IS possible to put customers back onto BB M within the 7 day cooling off period. It is laid out as company policy and has a published procedure.

MovedGoalPosts
20-06-2009, 02:14
In which case why could the OP's service not be reinstated :confused:

airmark
20-06-2009, 02:14
I completely agree, and so does Virgin - which is why it IS possible to put customers back onto BB M within the 7 day cooling off period. It is laid out as company policy and has a published procedure.

Again, I was told by both sales rep I talked to (2/6 and 6/6) that that was not possible and my ONLY option was to stay with crippled 2MB service or upgrade to the 10MB. Where is this procedure published?

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 02:16
In which case why could the OP's service not be reinstated :confused:
It should have been - at the £10 price until the date the offer ended, at which point it would then have gone to £20

---------- Post added at 02:16 ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 ----------

Where is this procedure published?
In the company process directory, but its dependent on the agent actually bothering to look it up, rather than just making an assumption

airmark
20-06-2009, 02:19
It should have been - at the £10 price until the date the offer ended, at which point it would then have gone to £20

---------- Post added at 02:16 ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 ----------

In the company process directory, but its dependent on the agent actually bothering to look it up, rather than just making an assumption

OK, so we have one more point in the laundry list of lies/misrepresentations/intentional misleadings or just signs of representatives' incompetence, if you find the "intentional misleading" too big of an assumption.

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 02:21
or just signs of representatives' incompetenceUnfortunately, if anything I would say it is that.

But I again must stress that not of what you have experienced is Virgin company policy.

airmark
20-06-2009, 12:45
Unfortunately, if anything I would say it is that.

But I again must stress that not of what you have experienced is Virgin company policy.

I will repeat what I said earlier. These were company representatives so their actions/words reflect on the company 100%. I don't give a monkey's if the official company policy is very ethical and professional. My actual experience was nothing like that time and again, and that's what counts.

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 13:32
I'm not denying that, but there is a world of difference between bad Customer Service - which I agree 100% you have had, and the accusations you make at the beginning of the thread that VM itself and therefore all of it's staff are so inclinded.

Toto
20-06-2009, 13:55
Your experience airmark is not typical of many who post here, but can obviously strike a chord with some.

I am not convinced that all of Virgin Media's contact points are that bad, particularly the offshore points which I think have improved.

Hope you get it sorted though.

xbob
20-06-2009, 15:57
hiyas

sorry if im hijacking the post
ive just signed up with virgin media and im ending up paying them £44.00 a month.
had it installed on thursday just gone and ive had to be on the phone to them every day since with internet problems, line dropping every 10 minutes, slow speeds of 3.5mbps when im on 20mb line, ( traffic managment so they told me )

so where would i stand on this ? do i have any rights to cancel. i never signed the contract or sent it back.

any help or info

thanks

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 16:01
hiyas

sorry if im hijacking the post
ive just signed up with virgin media and im ending up paying them £44.00 a month.
had it installed on thursday just gone and ive had to be on the phone to them every day since with internet problems, line dropping every 10 minutes, slow speeds of 3.5mbps when im on 20mb line, ( traffic managment so they told me )

so where would i stand on this ? do i have any rights to cancel. i never signed the contract or sent it back.

any help or info

thanks
Probably would have been better on a new thread.

Any new installation has a 28 Money Back Guarantee http://allyours.virginmedia.com/money_back_guarantee.html after that the contract would come into force.

airmark
20-06-2009, 16:11
Your experience airmark is not typical of many who post here, but can obviously strike a chord with some.

I am not convinced that all of Virgin Media's contact points are that bad, particularly the offshore points which I think have improved.

Hope you get it sorted though.

A few minutes ago I received an phone call from a Virgin Media representative who apologised for the experience I had, and offered to cancel the contract immediately at no cost to me. So writing an email (along with posting it in web fora) helped I guess, and it's all sorted now (I'll wait for a written confirmation of course but I believe it should be fine). I hope for VM's sake they improve their customer service in order to avoid alienating their customers in the future.

Toto
20-06-2009, 16:16
A few minutes ago I received an phone call from a Virgin Media representative who apologised for the experience I had, and offered to cancel the contract immediately at no cost to me. So writing an email (along with posting it in web fora) helped I guess, and it's all sorted now (I'll wait for a written confirmation of course but I believe it should be fine). I hope for VM's sake they improve their customer service in order to avoid alienating their customers in the future.

Glad its sorted.

xbob
20-06-2009, 16:22
Glad you got it sorted mark, im still on the phone now with customer support trying to get my problems sorted out ARRGGGHHHH

xbob
20-06-2009, 23:57
mark
id like to thankyou for making this thread cos otherwise id be stuck with the ****** service virgin media provide for the next 12 months.

i searched hi and low on google and came across your post and i am now free of the contract i signed up for with virgin media with the ***** service they offered.

thanks again mark and others who posted with information

xbob

oojimmyflip
08-07-2010, 23:21
I had a similar experience and looked up the throttling details to find that the old broardband package was actually slower.
having said that I have been on 10meg broardband and have been very happy with it, I havent (touch wood) had anywhere as near as many problems with the 10 meg service as I had with the old 2 meg service.
and I had to pay a private contractor to bury the cables in my driveway because NTL/virgin media wouldnt meet the costs.

personally I think they as NTL were getting a lot wrong in customer service and some of this did transfer to the new ownership of virgin media.

Virgin Media have paid very little attention to the complaints about the state of the home page for instance, it still takes to long to load all of the excessive adverts & you still cant change the area on the weather map to a local area as you could on the old NTL home page.
I think for much of the time Virgin just hope that they can ignore consumer opinion and hope that the complaints go away for good, what they fail to realise is that the reviews online are there as a reminder to them and possible future consumers that a lot of customers have had a very bad experience, I know of at least one of my neighbours who has suffered a similar bad customer service experience, I wonder how many others know of at least one person in their street that did not like the way virgin media treated them as a consumer?

BenMcr
08-07-2010, 23:27
you still cant change the area on the weather map to a local area as you could on the old NTL home page.Bit off topic this but You can edit it the major towns/cities in an area. I've just set it to Manchester