PDA

View Full Version : Installation (partial) Success

Albert Fish
19-06-2009, 18:11
The blokes arrived to do the install on time and were done in about one hour.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the install. The free wireless router is apparently in the post and I had to call 150 to port our old phone number to the new line which will supposedly be completed within 48 hours.

HUGE improvement in download and upload speeds over DSL. No slowdown at all at the usual times, 12pm - 4 pm and 7pm AND it all costs £15 per month less than we were paying for BT/PlusNet

HD content, such that is at the moment, lessens the regret of spanking over a grand on a TV.

virgin_tech
19-06-2009, 19:03
hd is poor but have you checked content of the hd on demand

Albert Fish
19-06-2009, 19:18
hd is poor but have you checked content of the hd on demand

Yeah .. it looks OK for the odd late night purchase but LoveFilm is better value for BluRay, imo.

virgin_tech
20-06-2009, 08:45
hd on demand is free, its got the blue planet series plus a few other selections

Albert Fish
20-06-2009, 08:55
hd on demand is free, its got the blue planet series plus a few other selections

oh, ok, I'll check it out. I have to say, I don't watch much TV. The HD content I do watch usually has to be watched twice as I'm mostly gawping at the detail and not watching the film.

Albert Fish
23-06-2009, 17:43
Update on this install. Day 6, still no wireless router and our phone number hasn't been ported.

I called to enquire about both last Saturday and was told by a nice Indian lady that the router had been ordered and so has the porting.

I called again today and spoke with a nice Scottish lady who confirmed that neither of the above was true but she would place the order and arrange to have the number ported.

chickendippers
23-06-2009, 17:45
The number port should have been done by the engineer before he left.

Albert Fish
23-06-2009, 17:58
The number port should have been done by the engineer before he left.

He said it would switch over within 24 hours and if it doesn't give 150 a call and they'll chase it up.

He also said that the number we were given by VM was a temporary number.

chickendippers
23-06-2009, 23:56
I've known 2 people port their numbers from BT (myself being 1 of them) and in both cases the number porting was done there and then. Unless your circumstances were somehow different I'd kick up a fuss, you're still within the money back guarantee period so I'm sure they'll get it fixed very quickly if you mention cancelling ;)

virgin_tech
25-06-2009, 20:38
He said it would switch over within 24 hours and if it doesn't give 150 a call and they'll chase it up.

He also said that the number we were given by VM was a temporary number.

the number should be ported at the install, virgin don't give temp numbers if you have a ported one...

i have been to quit a few call out from customers who have lost their line, only to find out the installers have given them to new installs saying their temps just so they can leave an unfinished install... they are jokers, giving virgin grief because they are crap at their jobs

Albert Fish
27-06-2009, 09:11
Thanks for the info, VM have until Tuesday next to sort it or I'll kick up a fuss.

The router arrived the other day so hopefully the port will happen soon, too.

smcaul
27-06-2009, 12:22
the number should be ported at the install, virgin don't give temp numbers if you have a ported one...

They did with me this time last year, had a temp one for a week or so until my old BT number ported!

Albert Fish
27-06-2009, 18:51
Despite being a veteran usr, Virgin Media don't trust me to config my own chuffin wi-fi !

Here's me thinking I can easily login to my new router as I have done with all the other new routers I've had, my chosen security type, generate a looong key and get stuck into setting up my new router the same way my old router was. You know, so the PS3s, WM6.5 mobiles and sundry laptops can just be seamlessly integrated onto the new router by entering their existing values into the new router.

But no, there's a POS called Virgin Media Wireless manager which needs to be installed !

Have these telco spods not learned their lessons from back in the day when numerous ISP set up discs b0rked people's computers ? Seems not !

After taking about 3 minutes to fail to do do what I could do, touch type, in about 20 seconds the fecker went and BSOD'd my PC, the first time in over 5 years I've seen a BSOD.

Question: will Netgear WGR614v9 Firmware Version 1.2.6 b0rk the router ?

Have VM hobbled the router to only accept their brownware ?

.... heh .. figured it out .. shoddy on Virgin's part. Like every lock, there's always a key.

Ben B
27-06-2009, 19:15
Key http://192.168.1.1 in your browser, type the username virgin and the password: password

jungleguy
28-06-2009, 07:50
number port process is as follows

The number port needs to be booked on at point of sale and when the original install date is issued, this is done by sales, install date is offset by 5 days so as to contact BT. (other telecoms require 7 day install delay) A temporary number is issued by VM, the sole purpose of this is to establish a network route for your number. On day of install number port is closed down by tech, the ported number gets pasted over the temp number.

If no number port was raised at point of sale, the tech won't be able to port the number. (I should point out that the temporary number is now in effect your permanent number) an active to active number port will need to be raised by CS, this will take up to 5 days to complete, and will not require a visit from a tech. You'll in effect have 2 phones running for that period of time, at some point your BT phone will go dead, unplug it and plug it into the VM socket. hey presto all done.

The whole error here is by sales, not techs and regrettable it happens now and again.

Albert Fish
28-06-2009, 14:51
Key http://192.168.1.1 in your browser, type the username virgin and the password: password

then telnet .. then firmware .. I know ;)

Thanks Jungleguy, that's kind of what I'm hoping is in process.

lsproc
29-06-2009, 17:28
You cant install a generic NETGEAR firmware on top of the Virgin one as they expect different headers to the file.

Albert Fish
02-07-2009, 14:30
You cant install a generic NETGEAR firmware on top of the Virgin one as they expect different headers to the file.

And there's no way of doing that, right ... :rolleyes:

Update on the install, still no phone ported 'reported an error message in the system .. one of 'our own' original numbers the re-port back from BT was done differently to usual .. more difficult'

To be fair, every person I've spoken with at VM have been polite and positive. Still no number port after 12 days though so I'm expecting it to go tit's up at the last minute and everyone to wash their hands of it and my calls get bounced straight to Mumbai...

virgin_tech
02-07-2009, 21:18
this number port could be a BT problem, i dont trust them buggers either lol

morph178
03-07-2009, 19:33

i have been to quit a few call out from customers who have lost their line, only to find out the installers have given them to new installs saying their temps just so they can leave an unfinished install... they are jokers, giving virgin grief because they are crap at their jobs

How can a tech give a customer a temp number, without getting the telco details from a job sheet or PDA, a tech can only install the number they are given to install!!! If the port hasn't been ordered why is that the tech's fault?

virgin_tech
05-07-2009, 23:26
How can a tech give a customer a temp number, without getting the telco details from a job sheet or PDA, a tech can only install the number they are given to install!!! If the port hasn't been ordered why is that the tech's fault?

quite simple,,, at the node or dp the cowboy installers disconnect a neighbors and give their install this number, the customer knows no different and are told its a temp, until the day comes where a tech disconnects them and gives back the number to the rightful owner..

trust me, it happens 2-3 times a month

jungleguy
06-07-2009, 07:14
quite simple,,, at the node or dp the cowboy installers disconnect a neighbors and give their install this number, the customer knows no different and are told its a temp, until the day comes where a tech disconnects them and gives back the number to the rightful owner..

I've never heard of this happening. wouldn't it just be simpler to close down the number port?

morph178
06-07-2009, 17:09

Must only happen in your area, never heard of this before!, so what you are saying is a tech would randomly pick an e-side and install it in their customers property,if you were to disconnect a neighbors line and use that e-side it wouldn't be too difficult to trace it back to the tech, just by dialing the number, instant dismissal!! so i can't see how this could possibly happen 2 or 3 times a month!! or you'd have no installers left!

virgin_tech
08-07-2009, 20:45
Must only happen in your area, never heard of this before!, so what you are saying is a tech would randomly pick an e-side and install it in their customers property,if you were to disconnect a neighbors line and use that e-side it wouldn't be too difficult to trace it back to the tech, just by dialing the number, instant dismissal!! so i can't see how this could possibly happen 2 or 3 times a month!! or you'd have no installers left!

true most in house techs just put the original customer back on and close it down as a valid truck (ey-44) lots of contractors have been dismissed for this and other crap they do...
i myself have got fed up of complaining and now close them down as valid...

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

oh BTW our area has got rid of so many dodgy contractors, they have employed lots more and now training , the most funny thing is they are so busy they are just letting them lose on their own...

more crap for us to sort out :(

morph178
08-07-2009, 21:26
true most in house techs just put the original customer back on and close it down as a valid truck (ey-44) lots of contractors have been dismissed for this and other crap they do...
i myself have got fed up of complaining and now close them down as valid...

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

oh BTW our area has got rid of so many dodgy contractors, they have employed lots more and now training , the most funny thing is they are so busy they are just letting them lose on their own...

more crap for us to sort out :(

Virgin tech, i have read so many of your posts degrading "contractors" and the crap they do, and you make so many sweeping generalisations, over the years i have met and worked with so many "in house techs", and believe me i could tell you some stories.

I am one of those "contractors" and have been doing this job for almost 6 years, so believe me when i say the "in house" guys can be just as bad, if not worse than some of the contractors, most of the guys i work with (contractors) do a damn bloody good job, considering the amount of work they got out with each day, (a lot more than in house) The guys i work with take care and pride in their work, yeah there are some cowboys and some who make mistakes, but is that not the same in house???

jungleguy
08-07-2009, 21:58
I have to agree with morph178, I have had specific jobs where the sub contractor has gone the extra mile to help out, simply because they care. Similarly, I've had jobs dived out to service techs, and cause they're on a day rate, they havn't even attended the installs, (too much work for them) and worse still not even contacted the customer. I dread service techs doing my installs, they're useless.
I really think you do a disservice to the sub contractors. Stop knocking them.

virgin_tech
08-07-2009, 22:17
Virgin tech, i have read so many of your posts degrading "contractors" and the crap they do, and you make so many sweeping generalisations, over the years i have met and worked with so many "in house techs", and believe me i could tell you some stories.

I am one of those "contractors" and have been doing this job for almost 6 years, so believe me when i say the "in house" guys can be just as bad, if not worse than some of the contractors, most of the guys i work with (contractors) do a damn bloody good job, considering the amount of work they got out with each day, (a lot more than in house) The guys i work with take care and pride in their work, yeah there are some cowboys and some who make mistakes, but is that not the same in house???

i agree, some in house techs can be cowboys i know some, i also know some contractors and should be payed lots more than they do for a good job they do...we get 30 mins (including traveling) to fix a job, same as you guys this is no way enough time to do some jobs properly...

thing is, when im on a job twice as long because of a contractor doing a bad job, i moan... in house cowboys dont affect me, contractors do..

but the thing is if you have read the right replies from me, you will see i also blame NTL (virgin) and to be honest these are the biggest cowboys out

i try my damnedest to do a good job, late home more than on time and if i finish 15 mins early im off to my by box (yes we have to get our stock in our own time) making me late anyway lol..

i dont mind a contractor doing a rushed job or making mistakes, i draw the line to them lying to the customer and doing things they know are wrong..

but again, given the right amount of time even chimps can do a good job, but alas some will be in the pub taking the ****, and we have had a lot of those...

i wish all our contractors where as good as you, my job would be good....oh just remembered it wouldn't i work for NTL.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

I have to agree with morph178, I have had specific jobs where the sub contractor has gone the extra mile to help out, simply because they care. Similarly, I've had jobs dived out to service techs, and cause they're on a day rate, they havn't even attended the installs, (too much work for them) and worse still not even contacted the customer. I dread service techs doing my installs, they're useless.
I really think you do a disservice to the sub contractors. Stop knocking them.

i knock the ones that need knocking,,
any contractor that is on this site, is obviously a good guy and cares about his work, this is a given

it is impossible to paint everyone with the same brush. not enuff paint and the brush is too small.