PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Medical Advice Please

Raistlin
18-06-2009, 13:23
Apologies if some of this sounds slightly graphic/detailed, but I could really do with some advice and can't think of a better way to ask.

Woke up this morning at about 3am, feeling really bloated and uncomfortable. About 10 minutes later I started to feel really full, like you feel at the end of a really good meal at Christmas when you really shouldn't have had that extra pudding.

Almost straight away I started feeling nauseous and really really week, then I was really sick until it felt like my stomach was completely empty.

About an hour later the same happened again, sick again but feeling immediately better after.

This cycle has continued all day, and conscious of the need to drink plenty of water I've been sipping at slightly chilled still mineral water all morning. After a while though the level of water seems to build up in my stomach and I start feeling full and distended again, then I'm really sick.

I've got to the point now where the only thing coming out of my body is water, from everywhere. I'm not peeing, which I know is a sign of dehydration, and I'm feeling even weaker still. I've also got a fairly decent headache, but don't want to take anything for it because I know I'll only bring it back up.

The question is, do I persevere with the water and hope I get better, going to the doctor tomorrow if I'm still unwell? Or do I go the the doctor's now?

Anybody got any thoughts what might be wrong with me, and what I should do? :(

Damien
18-06-2009, 13:29
Sounds like a bad food bug, Maybe phone NHS direct as well?

Raistlin
18-06-2009, 13:30
Hadn't thought of that, will do - thanks :tu:

superbiatch
18-06-2009, 13:32
Sounds like a stomach bug Rob, sipping water even though it might come back up is probably your only option. If it was me I'd keep doing that for 24 hours and try my best to get some sleep.

The dehydration won't help things so at least try to sleep through it. When you get over the worst and things are staying down a bit, maybe try some rehydration drinks.

Hope you feel better soon Dude, there's nothing worse.

I'd also stay away from anyone else too, saves passing it on.

Raistlin
18-06-2009, 13:38
Thanks for that. If it's a stomach bug is it likely to be something I've just picked up, or to have come from the Chow Mein that I had last night?

superbiatch
18-06-2009, 13:44
Thanks for that. If it's a stomach bug is it likely to be something I've just picked up, or to have come from the Chow Mein that I had last night?

Could be either, unless you shared it and your friend is the same then there is probably no way of knowing.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Food-poisoning/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Personally i'd put it down to a stomach bug you've picked up unless you seriously think there was something wrong with your meal. Have you come into contact with anyone you can think of who's ill?

Raistlin
18-06-2009, 13:46
Nope :(

The NHS Direct site is quite worrying:

Seek emergency help immediately - ring 999 and ask for an ambulance Dial 999 and ask for an ambulance.
Please review your answers before calling.
You answered yes to the following questions:

Do you have any of the following: severe headache, severe pain in your eyes when they are exposed to the light, a stiff neck that is painful when you bend your head forwards, or feeling mentally confused and sleepy?

You answered no to the following questions:

Are you developing a new rash with any of the following: tiny red or brownish pin prick marks that do not fade when you press a glass tumbler or finger against them, or pin prick marks that are changing into purple blotches or blisters? It can be difficult to see this type of rash on dark skin. Check the palms of the hands, soles of the feet and the roof of the mouth.

I think I'll call them.....

superbiatch
18-06-2009, 14:17
Probably won't do any harm giving them a call...

Damien
18-06-2009, 14:23
NHS Direct Online always seems to advise calling 999, they have to be careful not to have actively made someone not dial 999 when they should have done so. The problem most of us do not have the medical knowledge to judge the seriousness of symptoms and the likelihood of it's cause. It's why your best speaking to a professional

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

I mean I have had the same symptoms (minus feeling really full) a few times. Usually start to feel better (better enough so that things stay down) in the afternoon or evening. Usually have water, tea and soup.

v0id
18-06-2009, 14:34
nhs direct you say? (http://www.5318008.co.uk/nurse/oldnurse.html) :D

Maggy
18-06-2009, 14:43
Apologies if some of this sounds slightly graphic/detailed, but I could really do with some advice and can't think of a better way to ask.

Woke up this morning at about 3am, feeling really bloated and uncomfortable. About 10 minutes later I started to feel really full, like you feel at the end of a really good meal at Christmas when you really shouldn't have had that extra pudding.

Almost straight away I started feeling nauseous and really really week, then I was really sick until it felt like my stomach was completely empty.

About an hour later the same happened again, sick again but feeling immediately better after.

This cycle has continued all day, and conscious of the need to drink plenty of water I've been sipping at slightly chilled still mineral water all morning. After a while though the level of water seems to build up in my stomach and I start feeling full and distended again, then I'm really sick.

I've got to the point now where the only thing coming out of my body is water, from everywhere. I'm not peeing, which I know is a sign of dehydration, and I'm feeling even weaker still. I've also got a fairly decent headache, but don't want to take anything for it because I know I'll only bring it back up.

The question is, do I persevere with the water and hope I get better, going to the doctor tomorrow if I'm still unwell? Or do I go the the doctor's now?

Anybody got any thoughts what might be wrong with me, and what I should do? :(

You need to make sure you are getting water,salt and sugar if I remember my experiences with my two when they were small and everything was flowing from both ends.

My doctor suggested dissolved Oxo cubes and lashings of Cola/lemonade(tho' not at the same time :)).

CHiLL
18-06-2009, 15:03
That sounds similar to a bug that me and my partner had last year. Apparently it was that large bug that went around the whole country.

Chris
18-06-2009, 15:23
Could be food poisoning - depending on the source it could be anything you've eaten in the last 3 days though. I wouldn't worry about going to hospital so long as you keep drinking water and don't get any weaker. It should sort itself out in a day or so.

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Seeing as we're being graphic, the last time I had this, I was sitting on the toilet and simultaneously hanging over the sink, evacuating myself at both ends. :sick: :erm: :D

superbiatch
18-06-2009, 15:25
Seeing as we're being graphic, the last time I had this, I was sitting on the toilet and simultaneously hanging over the sink, evacuating myself at both ends. :sick: :erm: :D

The doughnut I was holding has just been binned :rolleyes:

danielf
18-06-2009, 15:26

This reminds me of my first trip to India. Delhi Belly... Only difference was I couldn't reach the sink, so I had switch ends in a hurry :sick: :D

Osem
18-06-2009, 15:36
This reminds me of my first trip to India. Delhi Belly... Only difference was I couldn't reach the sink, so I had switch ends in a hurry :sick: :D

Reminds me of my first (and last) culinary experience of Brick Lane in London....

Re.

Seek emergency help immediately - ring 999 and ask for an ambulance Dial 999 and ask for an ambulance.
Please review your answers before calling.
You answered yes to the following questions:

Do you have any of the following: severe headache, severe pain in your eyes when they are exposed to the light, a stiff neck that is painful when you bend your head forwards, or feeling mentally confused and sleepy?
You answered no to the following questions:

Are you developing a new rash with any of the following: tiny red or brownish pin prick marks that do not fade when you press a glass tumbler or finger against them, or pin prick marks that are changing into purple blotches or blisters? It can be difficult to see this type of rash on dark skin. Check the palms of the hands, soles of the feet and the roof of the mouth.

IIRC these are standard questions related to the diagnosis of Meningitis.

Nugget
18-06-2009, 15:46
The doughnut I was holding has just been binned :rolleyes:

So was his ;)

danielf
18-06-2009, 22:13
I see Rob is online again. I was wondering if he'd been whisked away in that ambulance he was going to call :D

Raistlin
19-06-2009, 10:53
I see Rob is online again. I was wondering if he'd been whisked away in that ambulance he was going to call :D

Nah, still at home - desperately trying to get rehydrated and to keep food and fluids down.....

Kidneys starting to hurt now (I have problems with stones anyway, so that's not helping) :(

The nice lady at NHS direct said I was right not to call an ambulance (not that I was ever going to), and that their site muct have thought I had meningitis.....

Fingy
19-06-2009, 11:06
Not sure how to spell it but can you get something like diarolyte? I know thats what I have to mix into water and give my baby when he isn't taking enough fluids or has downstairs issues.

Raistlin
19-06-2009, 11:08
Yeah, have some of that - not sure if it's helping, guess I just keep going the way that I am and see how things end up.

Thanks though :tu:

Turkey Machine
19-06-2009, 12:58
Epsom salts. Very good to re-hydrate.

Nidge
19-06-2009, 22:38
Nah, still at home - desperately trying to get rehydrated and to keep food and fluids down.....

Kidneys starting to hurt now (I have problems with stones anyway, so that's not helping) :(

The nice lady at NHS direct said I was right not to call an ambulance (not that I was ever going to), and that their site muct have thought I had meningitis.....

Rob get some Dyorolites from your local chemist mate, they'll put all the salts and sugars back into your body and it will make you feel a little bit better.

homealone
20-06-2009, 00:12
Epsom salts. Very good to re-hydrate.

absolutely not, epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) should not be taken orally - put it in your bath water, maybe ...

diarolyte (which is ok) contains basically salt & sugar just make sure you follow the dilution advice- 'isotonic' sports drinks can help, also :)

Maggy
20-06-2009, 00:19
Rob get some Dyorolites from your local chemist mate, they'll put all the salts and sugars back into your body and it will make you feel a little bit better.

Actually a mixture of salt,sugar and water would be just as simple...or as my doctor recommended for my children fizzy drinks and some sort of bovril/oxo drink.Much quicker and cheaper.

Turkey Machine
20-06-2009, 01:00
Ignore my advice about epsom salts, I thought it was good for diarrhoea, but apparantly it's far more effective for constipation. My bad.

CycoSymz
20-06-2009, 05:37
Hope you start to feel better soon Rob.

Nidge
20-06-2009, 08:18
Actually a mixture of salt,sugar and water would be just as simple...or as my doctor recommended for my children fizzy drinks and some sort of bovril/oxo drink.Much quicker and cheaper.

Dyorolyte has all the electrolytes that your body needs when you've been sick or got the trots. It's much more effective than salt sugar and water.

Raistlin
20-06-2009, 08:33

Been taking those, and drinking plenty of clear fluids - unfortunately it's not helping.

Starting to think that if I can't get my fluid levels up I might have to go see the quack :(

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 ----------

Ignore my advice about epsom salts, I thought it was good for diarrhoea, but apparantly it's far more effective for constipation. My bad.

:LOL:

That's something I don't need help with :D

AbyssUnderground
20-06-2009, 15:21
If you're still bad now on day 3, then its serious and you should definitely see a doctor without hesitation. Any sort of bug should be gone within 24-48 hours. If you still can't hold down fluids get yourself looked at right away or it could get worse. If the doctors is closed today then call an ambulance for sure.

You might think an ambulance is overkill but you don't know how serious this problem is and they certainly won't be angry with you for doing so should it turn out not to be as bad as you think. Self diagnosis is never a good idea to go by as I found out myself and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks... Don't hesitate, just get it done.

Maggy
20-06-2009, 15:28
Been taking those, and drinking plenty of clear fluids - unfortunately it's not helping.

Starting to think that if I can't get my fluid levels up I might have to go see the quack :(

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 ----------

:LOL:

That's something I don't need help with :D

At least you can still keep us up to date.What are you doing?Taking the laptop into the bathroom?

I too reckon you need to get yourself to the doctor tomorrow if you are still vomiting and errr well all the rest.