PDA

View Full Version : Wrong IP location

peanut
18-06-2009, 12:04
My brother who lives in Great Yarmouth is having problems getting on to things like Iplayer and other sites like that, saying he's not in the UK, and having a look via remote I noticed his google is coming up with Google ie (Ireland).

There's nothing in his proxy settings and it's a fresh install of XP so he's not changed anything himself, and he's getting his broadband via the STB.

I've managed to use a virgin proxy to correct the problem, but should he call up VM and get this sorted? Or leave it as he's due to get a cable modem for the 2-10mb upgrade soon (would that change it back to normal)?

Thanks.

altis
18-06-2009, 12:23
I remember something like this coming up before but what on earth you search for I can't think.

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Here's one:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33633314-google-com-goes-to-google-ie.html

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

and another:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33634867-problems-my-broadband-speed-can-anyone.html

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

and another:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33632928-iplayer-access-virgin-internet-not-tv.html

peanut
18-06-2009, 12:28
At least he's not alone then, (thanks for those links). From what I've read it seems like a new modem did sort the problem out (or a call to VM), I think I've done the only thing I can do for the time being and that's changing the proxy.

lloydz1
18-06-2009, 13:10
you could also try spoofing the mac address of the ethernet card or router you are using to connect so that it forces a new ip address.

if you are using a direct connection go to command prompt by typing 'CMD' in the run bar and the typing:
>>ipconfig /all

you will see your physical address displayed this is your mac make a note of it

now go to network connections

right click the network connection that says it is connected and click 'properties' then click 'configure' then click the 'advanced' tab then you are looking for something like:
a) locally administrated address
b) mac address
c) network address

you will then have an option to enter a value or use default
if you enter the number you made a note of earlier on and add 1 or 2 to the end of it then click 'OK' a couple of times. now reboot your modem and you should b issued with a new 'IP' hopefully one not located at Ireland

if you use a router you need to find out how to set the mac on your particular router

this can be found out by googling you ' how to change your mac' folllowed by the make of your router

hope this helps its not guaranteed to work but it may give you a new ip which is not registered in ireland

Chris
18-06-2009, 13:15
It might be easier to borrow a laptop off someone and connect that to the VM modem. That has the same effect as the spoofing method - it will force a new IP.

lloydz1
18-06-2009, 13:52
It might be easier to borrow a laptop off someone and connect that to the VM modem. That has the same effect as the spoofing method - it will force a new IP.

Very true but when you plug the original router or machine back in the same IP address would then be issued by the DHCP server so you would need to leave this one disconnected for 48 hours or longer depending on your lease time to gain a fresh IP so spoofing the mac is the best option to use the current machine with a new IP address

Paul
18-06-2009, 13:55
Generally speaking this is because the IP address database that the site is using is out of date. This can happen when new ip ranges are allocated. Do you happen to know what the persons ip address is/was (the first three numbers will do, i.e. 86.9.94.x).

peanut
18-06-2009, 14:09
Generally speaking this is because the IP address database that the site is using is out of date. This can happen when new ip ranges are allocated. Do you happen to know what the persons ip address is/was (the first three numbers will do, i.e. 86.9.94.x).

I will find out as soon as he gets in tonight to what his IP address is.

peanut
18-06-2009, 16:28

His IP is 82.22.223.xxx if that means anything.

altis
18-06-2009, 16:48
Looks like Ashford:

IP address: 82.22.223.001
Reverse DNS: spc2-gtya2-0-0-gw.asfd.cable.virginmedia.com.

gobbledigook
18-06-2009, 16:59
Very true but when you plug the original router or machine back in the same IP address would then be issued by the DHCP server so you would need to leave this one disconnected for 48 hours or longer depending on your lease time to gain a fresh IP so spoofing the mac is the best option to use the current machine with a new IP address

Hi there, I'm afraid i cannot shed any light on your issue, however, in order to get a new ip from VM you simply need to do like a 5 min reboot of the router, power off wait 5 - power on, this should give you a new ip regardless of what machine is connected.

i don't know if this works the same on a STB though, i'm sure everything will work out when you get a cable modem, although up to 10meg is supported through the STB :)

peanut
18-06-2009, 17:06
Hi there, I'm afraid i cannot shed any light on your issue, however, in order to get a new ip from VM you simply need to do like a 5 min reboot of the router, power off wait 5 - power on, this should give you a new ip regardless of what machine is connected.

i don't know if this works the same on a STB though, i'm sure everything will work out when you get a cable modem, although up to 10meg is supported through the STB :)

He doesn't have a router, and he got told that he won't get upto 10mb via the STB.

altis
18-06-2009, 17:07
... however, in order to get a new ip from VM you simply need to do like a 5 min reboot of the router, power off wait 5 - power on, this should give you a new ip regardless of what machine is connected. ...

Errm.. no it won't.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html#long

Paul
18-06-2009, 17:22
His IP is 82.22.223.xxx if that means anything.

That ip range is registered to VM (UK) in the RIPE database - so any site that rejects it as not UK is at fault, nothing VM can do about that.

in order to get a new ip from VM you simply need to do like a 5 min reboot of the router, power off wait 5 - power on, this should give you a new ip regardless of what machine is connected.

Not true, by default the same MAC address will get the same IP address allocated back again.

gobbledigook
18-06-2009, 17:24
Errm.. no it won't.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html#long

well... in all my time as a VM subscriber, every time i have had cause to reboot my modem i have been given a new ip. I would love it if i got the same ip everytime! i have a few applications to which i require outside access to, and a personal website, so i can assure you i notice when my ip changes :)

from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html#long:

"So, if your area is short of spare IP addresses, you might not get the same IP address back the next time you go online, if that address has been given to someone else."

as many VM ubr's are oversubscribed or near to capacity, i can see how not getting the same ip can be done with a simple reboot.

Peter_
18-06-2009, 17:31
Not true, by default the same MAC address will get the same IP address allocated back again.
It can get the same IP back and usually does in such a short time span, but with Virgin IP's being dynamic your IP can change in that short timespan while rebooting, I know it happened to me and affected a site I use.

Paul
18-06-2009, 17:51
Yes, it can, however, thats not what was posted.

A simple reboot (waiting a few minutes) will most likely get you the same ip back again, it is not the way to ensure you get a new one.

Peter_
18-06-2009, 17:53

A simple reboot will most likely get you the same ip back again, it is not the way to ensure you get a new one.
I only posted my comment because my IP change annoyed me something wicked when it happened and a week later I got it back.:D

Turkey Machine
18-06-2009, 17:55

A simple reboot (waiting a few minutes) will most likely get you the same ip back again, it is not the way to ensure you get a new one.

Most of the time, if the modem's switched off for more than 7 days, you should get a different IP.