PDA

View Full Version : My friend...

CableNutter
17-06-2009, 19:09
Has just recently received Virgin Media 50 meg, he told me that he rang Virgin Media and asked for a higher upload speed in exchange for a slower download speed, he said he would roughly receive 11.6 meg upload in exchange for receiving 40 meg down.
It's apparently because he lives in an area with very few 50 meg customers.

Has anyone every heard of this happen or if it's even true, i don't doubt my friend but it sounds crazy.

Kymmy
17-06-2009, 19:16
You'll find that your friend is telling porkies...

CableNutter
17-06-2009, 19:18
So you are definetly sure VM would never do this? he seems pretty sure of himself and isn't useless at networking and all that jazz, he says it's happening Monday so i will wait and see

on in an hour!
17-06-2009, 19:19
So you are definetly sure VM would never do this? he seems pretty sure of himself and isn't useless at networking and all that jazz, he says it's happening Monday so i will wait and see

when it does happen get him to post his speed test results up on here ;)

Peter_
17-06-2009, 19:22
Has just recently received Virgin Media 50 meg, he told me that he rang Virgin Media and asked for a higher upload speed in exchange for a slower download speed, he said he would roughly receive 11.6 meg upload in exchange for receiving 40 meg down.
It's apparently because he lives in an area with very few 50 meg customers.

Has anyone every heard of this happen or if it's even true, i don't doubt my friend but it sounds crazy.
Virginmedia do not have the config file to do this so it would not work, you have been spun a yarn.

At least it made me laughDownload Failed (1) (http://www.smileyshut.com/Smileys/Smiley-Huts-Free-Laughing-Smileys.html)

browney
17-06-2009, 19:31
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/brandnewday/archives/pinocchio.png

broadbandking
17-06-2009, 19:42
LOL @ 11Mb upload virgin cant offer that it would kill everyone else on that card as I am sure each channel can do 8.8Mb and the only other way to get higher is upload would be to bond upstream channels which they can't do.

Can someone confirm I am right?

nutellajunkie
18-06-2009, 09:12
impossible mate

Graham M
18-06-2009, 09:28
Not possible, the return path channel width is much too narrow to allow that

Stuart
18-06-2009, 11:01
Bit strong to say his friend is telling porkies. We all know how VM can tell porkies when they think a customer is leaving. They may have told him that.

Kymmy
18-06-2009, 11:34
A lie is a lie whether one believes it or not... ;)

Stuart
18-06-2009, 11:46
Oh, I am not debating there is a lie here.. Just saying that VM may have lied rather than his friend.

Milambar
18-06-2009, 18:48
If a VM representative DID make such a statement, isn't that a verbal contract? Be interesting if the OP could hold them to such a verbal contract :angel:

Peter_
18-06-2009, 18:55
If a VM representative DID make such a statement, isn't that a verbal contract? Be interesting if the OP could hold them to such a verbal contract :angel:
How could it actually be proved that such a statement was made in the first place as it would be very unlikely to have been recorded and if it was the agent would have had a rocket.