PDA

View Full Version : Instalation question.

imandy
17-06-2009, 18:24
Hey everyone, I'm andy and I have a question regarding instalation.

I used to be a NTL customer, I installed my internet etc using a NTL disk
and the infomation provided on a sheet of paper.

My situation is, I'm getting a new computer and i'm unsure of how I will
get my current internet on that without the old installation disk or documentation.

What will I have to do to make sure I can get my current internet package installed on my new computer ?

Do I need a new disk ? New documentation ? Where can I get these from?

Thanks alot.

Kymmy
17-06-2009, 18:31
Most new computers use ethernet, with ethernet all you have to do is to plug the modem into the PC, turn on the modem and then turn on the PC, you shouldn't need to do anything else.. The install disk is only used for USB.

The only problem you might have is if you still get your broadband via a set top box (TV box) this might need a simple login but if you do and let people know the usual experts on here will advise you..

Peter_
17-06-2009, 20:04
Are you an existing customer or a returning customer.

If existing what modem do you have.

The disk has not been issued for over a year and is not compatible with Vista, so all you do is connect up an ethernet lead and you will be online.

Any other information such as your email address are available on the numbers below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

imandy
17-06-2009, 21:10
Most new computers use ethernet, with ethernet all you have to do is to plug the modem into the PC, turn on the modem and then turn on the PC, you shouldn't need to do anything else.. The install disk is only used for USB.

Yes, I'm currently using a usb connection from my modem to my desktop. So all I need to do is get a ethernet cable and connect it to my computer instead ?

Are you an existing customer or a returning customer.

If existing what modem do you have.

The disk has not been issued for over a year and is not compatible with Vista, so all you do is connect up an ethernet lead and you will be online.

Any other information such as your email address are available on the numbers below.

I've been a customer for a few years now, I will try the ethernet method.

Thank you very much for the help.

Peter_
17-06-2009, 21:19
Yes, I'm currently using a usb connection from my modem to my desktop. So all I need to do is get a ethernet cable and connect it to my computer instead ?
USB is no longer supported and will not work with a Vista machine.

I've been a customer for a few years now, I will try the ethernet method.

Thank you very much for the help.
If you do not have an ethernet lead your local ASDA or Tesco sell them with the computer keyboards for around £3.

You can get a very long lead from your local Screwfix for a few pounds more if required.

You did not post which modem you have and also what speed are you on.

imandy
18-06-2009, 23:33
You did not post which modem you have and also what speed are you on.

Modem type ( sorry if this is wrong )

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/33.jpg

Image of the modem I use found on google.
http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/images/ntl2020.jpg

Speed

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/34.jpg

Peter_
19-06-2009, 06:16
It looks like you may be using USB which is no longer supported and you really need to use ethernet.

LUKE77
03-07-2011, 12:26
hey everyone i want to instal an internet for a company would you send me all the requirement for that, we need to use starband.net while i am in HAiti