PDA

View Full Version : Wireless dropped off last night, can't get it back

moiraf100
17-06-2009, 11:04
I have 10mb BB with Virgin and connect using a Netgear WGR614 which I received from them last year after upgrading to the 10mb.
Early evening yesterday the wireless connection dropped off. I turned off both the PC laptop and the router, restarted, and all was fine until about 10.30.
The wireless connection dropped off again along with my OH's iMac connection.
Restart after restart and nothing.......... Tried again this morning with all switched off overnight (as they are always) and still nothing.
I can connect directly through the router with an ethernet cable, and I can see everyone else's wireless connection in the street apart from ours.
The techie man on the phone this morning said it had to be my laptop as I could see other wireless connections.
I understand where he's coming from, but my OH's machine dropping off at the same time?
I'm at work at the moment so can't do anything until I get home.
Should I just reset the router?
Do I have to uninstall the router first and then reinstall?
Will I need to reinstall the cd that Virgin sent with it, as I uninstalled the Virgin Manager once the router had been set up originally.
Than You in anticipation :)

Joxer
17-06-2009, 12:04
I would try resetting the router, there is a small round hole near the aerial on the back of the router - inside is a reset button, when you press it the tick light will come on - hold it in until it goes out again and wait for the i light to go green again.

You should then be able to connect to the router - the network name will be virginbroadband and the passphrase will be preinstall. Once connected open internet explorer and it should present you with a setup page, enter your new network name and passphrase, reconnect and that should be you.

It might be worth trying another channel as well (or instead), how many other networks can you see?

To change the channel go to http://routerlogin.net the username/passpword are virgin/password and click on wireless setup near the top on the left and try a different channel 'auto' might be a good place to start.

moiraf100
17-06-2009, 12:13
Thank you, I'll give that a go this evening. *fingers crossed*

ian_uk
17-06-2009, 12:15
thats cool advise, i personally hate wireless networking due to its poor infrastructure and frequency sharing of anything on the 2.4Ghz band... i used to use normal 2.4 wan then gave up i tried a different type from motorola's symbol and it was vastly improved yet it was only max of 2Mbit local network so that wasnt a good idea, although i think the difference is that it uses fast frquency hopping (like bluetooth) but with higher power like wlan, it even had its own external antennas but these are comercial units

moiraf100
17-06-2009, 17:18
Well I'm back online wirelessly. I don't know how or why but it just suddenly did something!
I reset the modem about 5 times, restarted machines, even tried reinstalling the Virgin cd with Wireless Manager.
I did this on both the laptop and the iMac.
I spent almost an hour faffing about and had resigned myself to calling India again.
I removed Wireless Manager from the machines and then a red page popped up on the laptop and asked me to give a name to the router and enter a password......
And here I am puzzled but happy.
Why or how do things like this happen?
The chap this morning blamed my wireless card and told me to get a pc techie to look at it.
It's a good job I have at least some faith in myself I suppose.
So thank you for your help and advice :-)