PDA

View Full Version : Fridge Freezer guarantee question

Tinky
17-06-2009, 08:56
Frost free fridge freezer was bought just over a year ago on 16th May last year. Started having problems around two weeks ago, the motor keeps running.:mad: Called in the electrician and he has fitted a new timer switch. But motor still keeps running, will have to call electrician back. Going to cost a fortune. According to the electrician, under European laws we still should have been covered by the quarantee. Can anyone confirm our consumer rights please?

Graham M
17-06-2009, 08:58
Normally these sort of things have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty unless otherwise specified? I don't think they have to offer any longer

Tinky
17-06-2009, 08:59
Normally these sort of things have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty unless otherwise specified? I don't think they have to offer any longer

According to the electrician that does not matter we should still be covered, under European rules.

Kymmy
17-06-2009, 09:10
Firstly can the electrician point you towards which european law...

Secondly once you know then you can try approaching the manufacturer regarding that law

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Ahhh, found it @ http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/protection_of_consumers/l32022_en.htm

The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which becomes apparent within a period of two years unless, at the moment of conclusion of the contract of sale, the consumer knew or could not reasonably be unaware of the lack of conformity.

Tinky
17-06-2009, 09:10

Secondly once you know then you can try approaching the manufacturer regarding that law

Wish I had thought to ask him at the time Kymmy. He was a different electrician here on another electrical problem. But he said his mother had a washing machine and the 5 year extended warranty ran out, turns out she was cover by this European law. Wonder how I can find out now.

Kymmy
17-06-2009, 09:12
See the edit to my last post ;)

Graham M
17-06-2009, 09:13
It's an EU Law, which doesn't and seemingly hasn't become automatic UK law

Kymmy
17-06-2009, 09:14
Yes and no, but the date for member states conformity was 2002

Tinky
17-06-2009, 09:28

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Ahhh, found it @ http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/protection_of_consumers/l32022_en.htm

Yes and no, but the date for member states conformity was 2002

Thanks so much for that Kymmy. But I am still confused, can I quote this law to the manufacturers of the fridge or no?

Kymmy
17-06-2009, 09:31
You can try... all member states should have conformed to this law but that doesn't mean to say the UK has...

You could try asking the trading standards people whether the law is relelvant (your council hould have a Trading Standards dept..

zing_deleted
17-06-2009, 09:43
There is also the "Reasonable amount of time" clause in our sales of goods act. A little over a year is not a reasonable amount of time and if need be I would take this issue to the small claims

bopdude
17-06-2009, 10:29
Now that 'you' have tampered with the workings I think that you'll have voided any warranty.

zing_deleted
17-06-2009, 10:46
Well you can hope they dont notice lol

Tinky
17-06-2009, 11:01
Right peeps here's the update. Phoned Trading Standards Office explained all about the guarantee (out of date) and the electrician being called etc. He said that under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 the goods must be of 'satisfactory quality', and that we are entitled to either a repair or replacement. We should in the first instance contact the store we bought it from (not the manufacturer) and speak to their customer service dept. I have just been on the phone to them quoting what the TSO told me, and they have told me to get an independent electrician to write a report on what precisely is wrong, i.e. is it a manufacturing fault. Once I get that, I have to send it to their Customer Relations department. I have also got a reference number (of my call) from Trading Standards, and direct phone number, so if any problems I'll just phone them back. Trading standards also said to send any correspondence by recorded delivery and keep copies of everything I send, just in case it should come to Court. In the meantime electrician booked for Friday AM, will keep you posted. :) Looking a bit more hopeful, thank you Kymmy for pointing me in the right direction.:):):)

bopdude
17-06-2009, 11:06
Fingers crossed :tu:

Kymmy
17-06-2009, 12:33
:clap: glad you're making progress :)

Tinky
19-06-2009, 16:36
Well the electrician cometh as promised. Was here for ages, he first thought it was the thermostat, then he thought it was the gas. So he filled more gas, then he said it was not the thermostat it was the compressor. In other words, in his opinion, the cost of carrying out this work would be prohibitive and probably be cheaper to buy a new fridge.:erm: Have since written a letter to the company I bought fridge from, and put the ball in their court. Will keep you posted. Whatever happens I can see we are going to be landed with large bill, and we are no further forward. :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:(:(:(

lauzjp
19-06-2009, 17:33
hmm, perhaps I should contact trading standards about my washing machine... at least I have one at present that works, even if it is horrible. :( poor Tinky, I feel your pain. :hugs:

zing_deleted
19-06-2009, 17:40
Well the electrician cometh as promised. Was here for ages, he first thought it was the thermostat, then he thought it was the gas. So he filled more gas, then he said it was not the thermostat it was the compressor. In other words, in his opinion, the cost of carrying out this work would be prohibitive and probably be cheaper to buy a new fridge.:erm: Have since written a letter to the company I bought fridge from, and put the ball in their court. Will keep you posted. Whatever happens I can see we are going to be landed with large bill, and we are no further forward. :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:(:(:(

The sparky cant charge you for things when he diagnosed the wrong thing twice can he?

Tinky
22-06-2009, 18:39
Sent off a letter, recorded delivery, on Saturday to the dealer/shop who supplied the Freezer. Phone call from them this afternoon, I have to supply them with a written report stating that the fault is the manufacturers. Have contacted my electrician's firm and explained what is required. They are going to supply a report, free of charge. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

joglynne
22-06-2009, 18:55
As requested. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/07/10.gif

Tinky
25-06-2009, 15:33
To cut a very long story short, we are getting a full refund of the purchase price, and being reimbursed for the electrician's bill as well. Old fridge being collected 3rd July. How good is that?:):):):cleader::cleader::cleader::cleader::cl eader::cleader::cleader::cleader:

zing_deleted
25-06-2009, 16:04
Better than expected result that one N1

joglynne
25-06-2009, 16:57
Nice result Tinky. :tu:

lauzjp
26-06-2009, 08:57
cool! :D

Kymmy
26-06-2009, 09:02
:clap: glad it's all sorted :)

Tinky
26-06-2009, 11:18
Better than expected result that one N1

Nice result Tinky. :tu:

cool! :D

:clap: glad it's all sorted :)

Thanks all. Now to find a new one at a decent price! Frost free that is. :erm: Anyone got any ideas?

zing_deleted
26-06-2009, 12:44
Hotpoint :) mines very good and super efficient mines the FF200E mind you mines the graphite model and I only paid £300 for it last summer prices appear to have gone through the roof

lauzjp
27-06-2009, 23:26
Argos still got a sale on. I'd have a look at Which reviews, Ciao, MSE, and take out insurance. I hate shopping for appliances, I should stick to minor little bargins like shoes and handbags methinks... oops:

homealone
27-06-2009, 23:34
Great result Tinky :tu:

- ours is a Zanussi/Electrolux & does what it says on the tin - do check all the reviews you can before committing, though :)

Maggy
27-06-2009, 23:43
Beko.

Both my sister and I have one.My fridge freezer is frost free and been doing well for 5 years now.

http://www.beko.co.uk/
http://www.bekofridge.co.uk/

Tinky
29-06-2009, 19:10
Beko.

Both my sister and I have one.My fridge freezer is frost free and been doing well for 5 years now.

http://www.beko.co.uk/
http://www.bekofridge.co.uk/

I must have been one of the unlucky ones, my one was the same make as yours Maggy. This is the one (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4864204/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C12108409/c_2/2%7Ccat_12108409%7CFridges+and+freezers%7C12108586/c_3/3%7Ccat_12108586%7CFridge+freezers%7C12108597.htm) I have opted for, haven't gone for frost free this time though, as our local Electrical Co reckons there is too much that can go wrong with them. Back to defrosting twice a year!:erm::(

zing_deleted
04-07-2009, 09:49
One of the major problems with frost free is situation. You cannot have near a source of heat. My nan god bless her soul had hers next to her cooker and it frosted up moved it away and it was my brother had his next to his clothes dryer and it frosted up

Tinky
04-07-2009, 10:32
I ave opted for frost free Zing, but already have qualms about defrosting. However new freezer being delivered on Monday and the old one being removed same time. So far have had the electricians repair refunded £87.97, just awaiting the refund of the purchase price now.:)