PDA

View Full Version : i just been upgraded from 2/256 to 10/512 and now its slower

ian_uk
17-06-2009, 01:01
hi all, i phoned up VM due to i was still on 2Mb, i was upgraded to 10, the speed at the time reached almost 7.5Mb/512, for the fast few hours i been getting really slow speed and checked again im now getting 2.5/128

my signals are good from reading other posts and the "claimed 10Mb" speed is in the modem info...

i dont use p2p file sharing etc, but i do watch streamed programs off the internet..

now its 1am i just checked it again and found my speed back up again... i got 8/512 (speedtest said exactly 8Mb and 0.49Mb)

what the heck is going on? can some on explain to me please?

thanks all, ian

edit:
Downstream Status Operational
Channel ID 5
Downstream Frequency 339000000 Hz
Modulation 256QAM
Bit Rate 10242000 bits/sec
Power Level 4.2 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 32.7 dB

Upstream Status Operational
Channel ID 4
Upstream Frequency 34000000 Hz
Modulation 16QAM
Bit Rate 514000 bits/sec
Power Level 44.0 dBmV

moaningmags
17-06-2009, 01:28
2.5/128 is traffic management.

Go to http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/?C=S;O=D

Start downloading a file, what's the transfer rate?

ian_uk
17-06-2009, 02:17
2.5/128 is traffic management.

Go to http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/?C=S;O=D

Start downloading a file, what's the transfer rate?

right my speed at the moment is fast, im getting a file at 1.1MB a sec
but don't know what the transfer speed was when i was slow...

anyway you said the 2.5/128 is traffic management? can you explain more?

before i upgraded to 10Mb i was getting around 2.1/256 as i use VOIP as my phone i really cant do much with 128k upload, 256k was bad enough when i am looking up web pages.

thanks again all

Peter_
17-06-2009, 06:19
right my speed at the moment is fast, im getting a file at 1.1MB a sec
but don't know what the transfer speed was when i was slow...

anyway you said the 2.5/128 is traffic management? can you explain more?

before i upgraded to 10Mb i was getting around 2.1/256 as i use VOIP as my phone i really cant do much with 128k upload, 256k was bad enough when i am looking up web pages.

thanks again all
Check this link out if you downloaded the amounts specified during the time periods shown you will have your speed cut to the limits listed.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

ian_uk
17-06-2009, 11:48
thanks for the link...

on a side note their traffic management is rubbish!! reason is that before i come from 2Mb if i DL 200MB i should have ha my thing capped... i didnt notice any problem then, now everything freaks out, if i get chewed up in it, as i said i use VOIP never been a problem but now i cant use the internet while on the phone, the internet upload is a joke when sending yahoo mail now it be even worse... how can they say the average 5% in my case now at 10Mb use 1.5GB of data between 10am-3pm and then only a little 750MB for 5 hours after! im really biting my tounge here, it never happened before like that and the main reason why i upgraded was the upload speed was faster so my phone wont cut out when browsing the net...

right can someone suggest some 'real free' software that allows me to cap my download and monitor what i use please.. because if this is happening like this i might as well scrap this broadband and use my mobile phone

regards Ian

Yozzer
17-06-2009, 13:50
Twice in the last week I have been throttled downloading large files from Microsoft, download speed halved after 200mb, I had not realised the throttling had become so aggressive and applied to downloading legitimate files, not just P2P.

I am awaiting the increase in speed from 2mb to 10mb due in a month or two, but it would seem not worth a lot with capping 9am to 9pm overiding 10am to 3pm capping.

ian_uk
17-06-2009, 23:49
well whats the point of giving people 10Mb when half way through a streamed film your crippled and giving people 50Mb when there not awake to use it!

im sure they can see if your using P2P because of the many ip addresses with connections modems address, they are the ones who "cripple the system" by say downloading 5 films all at once having their bandwidth maxed out.. where if your like me and you watch streamed films etc it dont max out the bandwidth.

anyway this is also a bump..
anyone know any real free apps for looking at amount of data and data throtteling for the pc/internet?
regards Ian

broadbandking
17-06-2009, 23:52
Twice in the last week I have been throttled downloading large files from Microsoft, download speed halved after 200mb, I had not realised the throttling had become so aggressive and applied to downloading legitimate files, not just P2P.

I am awaiting the increase in speed from 2mb to 10mb due in a month or two, but it would seem not worth a lot with capping 9am to 9pm overiding 10am to 3pm capping.

Makes them look good.