PDA

View Full Version : wishing for more time

virgin_tech
17-06-2009, 00:13
i wish i was made redundant.... loads more time to spend with the wife n kids, chance to have a holiday... time to cook a nice meal instead of fast food..

i seem to be working all the time :(

moaningmags
17-06-2009, 00:17
If you were redundant, how would you pay the bils?

homealone
17-06-2009, 00:32
i wish i was made redundant.... loads more time to spend with the wife n kids, chance to have a holiday... time to cook a nice meal instead of fast food..

i seem to be working all the time :(

be careful you don't get what you wish for - I've been there more than once & the novelty soon wears off ...

virgin_tech
17-06-2009, 00:53
If you were redundant, how would you pay the bils?

well the gov pays the bills, same as they pay for millions already.... most the dole blodgers, have it sorted, work the system..

ive seen lots that have all the time, and seem to have more spare money...

Nidge
17-06-2009, 05:14
well the gov pays the bills, same as they pay for millions already.... most the dole blodgers, have it sorted, work the system..

I agree with you 100% there, our local Wetherspoons is next door to the dole office, the local saying is, "if you want to know anything about the benefit system go into the local Wetherspoons they'll tell you everything". The staff from the dole office have been told to stop going into Wetherspoons for their dinner because the dole scroungers are goading them by saying, "we'll see you later when we come in to sign on".

The novelty of not working will do my head in big time.

alferret
17-06-2009, 07:03
Its been 20 years since I was out of work for more than a month, as much as its nice to spend time with the kids, get up at midday, take a leisurely stroll to the dole office once a fortnight as others have said it gets boring very quickly. All that extra money you have coming in through wages funds a better lifestyle than being on the dole regardless of what you may think or have read. What about your self esteem? Keep your job, if your not happy where you are find another dont wish your life away being on the dole.

AndyCambs
17-06-2009, 08:19
I was laid off, but fortunate to get another job offer fairly shortly afterwards. If I hadn't the money would soon have run out.

Maggy
17-06-2009, 08:25
Dole scroungers? On the three occasions of my husband being signed on, the financial burden almost broke me financially..indeed I still haven't recovered from the last time yet.

dilli-theclaw
17-06-2009, 08:28

ive seen lots that have all the time, and seem to have more spare money...Being a dole 'blodger' the government does not pay all my bills and I don't 'work the system' either.

I do, however, have lots of time. I am trying to get courses sorted etc so that I can get out of my three years off work, but the Job Centre (in Biggleswade) don't seem to want to help me as I'm on 'the wrong benefits' and 'you can't see the DEA as you are not on the right benefit'.

One of the main reasons I ended up loosing my wife was because I was at home too much.

As for spare money, oh yes I wish.

Graham M
17-06-2009, 08:46
I don't think he's picking on the legitimate cases, there are so many that aren't and shouldn't get a single penny.

mentalis
17-06-2009, 08:50
I was redundant for quite a while, and after a while you can get bored with nothing to do all day.

Hugh
17-06-2009, 09:35

Dontcha just love sweeping generalisations? :dozey:

Trust me, I have been made redundant three times in the last 20 years, and the "government" won't pay your mortgage (just the interest, I believe, and that is after six months) which why I have redundancy insurance, and the stress of trying to find a job before your savings run out is v. stressful, not restful.

One of the times this decade wasn't too bad, as I was on six months gardening leave (fully paid), kept the car, and got a bonus and pay rise whilst on gardening leave (as they were for the previous year) - most people aren't that lucky, and have to scrimp and scrape; I think your viewpoint is a little simplistic, and if it did happen to you, I believe you would soon change your mind.

virgin_tech
17-06-2009, 12:00
to a point i agree with you all...

its a life style choice though, some work the system not just the dole system...

you can now in our area go for a free swim at the baths......
have better teeth than the ones working on the bread line, i in the past have had teeth pulled for free at the nhs dental hospital.. "sorry sir, we cant fill them your not on benefits..with the pain and no spare money, bye bye teeth......
at times make crap sandwiches for my kids to take to school, lots kids get fat eating for free....
save the sun coupons for the £9.50 holiday, and go at anytime...

ive got a holiday next month, not going away cant afford it, cus i need the time and money to do some long neglected work on the house..

my main point i was trying to make, ther are no consessions for ppl working long hours, trying ther best and not having much relaxation time..
tortoises live a long time, but if you gave him stress and a load to carry everyday he might make it to 60

moaningmags
17-06-2009, 12:24
Have you applied for Tax Credits?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/

virgin_tech
17-06-2009, 17:34
Have you applied for Tax Credits?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/

it,s not about the money now..although more is better lol.. it has been about money before...

so damn hard to get it right... have money and no bloody time or have little money and lots time....

the wife and i both work, we should have a great lifestyle..(better than those who dont work).. but just dosnt seem that way at the moment

Hugh
17-06-2009, 17:59
Perception's a beyatch.

I used to complain about how my job gave me no free time, and we had no spare money, until it was pointed out to me that perhaps that was because part of my job spending one month out of two in NZ for two years, and that if I wasn't working, we wouldn't have a 4 bed detached house and two cars - we often focus on the negative, instead of being appreciative of the positive (imho).

Be grateful for what you have, because it can all disappear so fast when things go wrong - it would be a pain if you got redundancy, and found out it perhaps wasn't so rosy that side of the fence.

Julian
17-06-2009, 19:23
If you have your health, at least be thankful for that. :)

As for work, you could do what I did, buy a business that the family can be involved in. It's also attached to where I live which means we get plenty of time together.

It's also staffed 75% of the time so we can get out as well.