PDA

View Full Version : Webwise / Phorn and Virgin Media

Mr_SEO
15-06-2009, 19:37
Basically on 3rd march i realised that I was part of Virgin Media test called Webwise, Obviously I never wanted to take part in this. So I contacted VirginMedia by filling the complaints form online. I asked them to remove me please? 2 hours later virginmedia CS advisor Sarah contacted me and said, "You were sent an email two months and you had 30 days to reply to that email if you wanted to remove yourself from Webwise list. Now we can not remove you". Well her reponse was shocking.....

So I contacted Ofcom, registered an official complaint, got the complaint ref. The Ofcom guy gave me information commissioner's number, so I contact them and advised them that this is what virgin media is doing to their customers. Well information commission manager called Chris, was shocked and thought virgin media was very flexible on this issue.

Well... Then on the same day on the 3rd March I contacted virgin media requesting for a letter of a deadlock (i have copies and screenshots of the complaint form).

I waited 28 days but response from virgin media on this issue.

contacted virgin media again .... sent a letter... no response...

waited again for 14 days sent another letter to virgin media... no reponse....

Now after waiting for another 7 days sent another letter.... guess what, NO RESPONSE! each time i sent above letter, I also put the complaint through their website complaint form too.

Now my contract ends with virginmedia at the end July, do you think I should persue this issue? Obviously I would never ever, join or recomment virgin media even if it was free. My mate just ordered virgin media broadband but i straight away made him cancel his order! SPREAD THE WORD!

BenMcr
15-06-2009, 19:53
Considering on the Webwise FAQ site here: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/webwise-faqs.php

it says:

Will customers be able to decide whether to use the system?

In the event we do roll out the system, customers won’t be forced to use the system, and will have the choice to keep their internet experience exactly as it is now. If we proceed, as we get closer to launch we’ll explain how this will work.

What you are saying is the complete opposite, so can you provide us with the proof that you have that shows you are part of a trial and also what made you realise you are part of it?

Mr_SEO
15-06-2009, 19:53
Hi,

Thanks for your reply to my post. I spoke to Sarah and she said I was part of Webwise, and when spoke to Information commission officer, he said it was a trial from vm.

Although Ofcom guy said that he didn't know Virgin Media was usin Webwise, But obviously Sarah from Virgin Media Customer care confirmed it on the phone that I WAS ON WEBWISE.

So I don't know how to prove this when it was confirmed by Virgin Media cs advisor.

But I really need advise on if I should persue this issue or leave it I would be leaving VM anyway be the end of next month...???

Thanks

BenMcr
15-06-2009, 19:54
Unfortunately I think Sarah from Customer Care has no idea what she is on about

Again what made you think you were on it in the first place and then prompted the query to VM?

Mr_SEO
15-06-2009, 19:56
BBC news and internet posts.... So I sent VM an email asking to confirm.... which they did.

BenMcr
15-06-2009, 20:01
Which BBC news and internet posts?

Mr_SEO
15-06-2009, 20:06
erm.. how can you expect me to remember the web address of a site after like 4 months. but as it was said something on bbc technology site and then some posts online.

hope this helps... and I only posted this post here to get an advise on if I should persue the case with Ofcom. Not to be investigated!! So please some advise.... no questions....

Not got time to answer so many questions....

BenMcr
15-06-2009, 20:13
Ok some advice - you are not on Webwise and the Customer Service agent was wrong. Persuing it with OFCOM will be a waste of time

Toto
15-06-2009, 20:41
BBC news and internet posts.... So I sent VM an email asking to confirm.... which they did.

I'd love to see this so-called email, including the header information. Sorry to say this but the well informed reader will treat your comments very sceptically.

EDIT: Read your posts even further, I am amazed that the Information Commissioner even knows who you are, let alone be able to confirm to you you're on a fictitious trial.

MovedGoalPosts
15-06-2009, 20:57
The only trial of Phorm systems that is known to have taken place in the UK is on the BT, ADSL, platform.

I'm sorry if our forum users are being rather sceptical, but this would be the first anyone has heard of a customer facing trial on the Virgin Media Network. If it is true, it would create significant concern to many.

We do know that Phorm keep trying to claim that Virgin Media is looking at the system. Equally Virgin Media, based on their previous statements, were getting cold feet.

A few months ago there was a general recommendation, when the Phorm system implementation was thought to be more likely, for customers to write to VM. This would confirm their requirement not to be opted in by default and indeed to be opted out.

It is possible that there are some websites out there that are already signed up to use the phorm advert system. If you were to visit those, then some of your activities might have been harvested. Even google adsense does a bit of that these days. But that has nothing to do with your ISP.

By all means pursue a claim with Ofcom, but may I suggest that you be very clear as to what you were and were not subjected to.

Sirius
15-06-2009, 21:03

Do you want to show the email you got back from VM. BTW i don't believe a word your typing.

Mr_SEO
15-06-2009, 21:26
ermmm it seems i'm on the wrong forum site. oooppss this appears to be virgin media site... all of sudden i'm being harrassed by vm employees and cable forum team.!!!

Wow wow.... i'm just a customer.... so please stop harrassing me!

I'll instead go on facebook and look for other sites! Sorry guys. my apologies, won't come here again... let's hope you don't send someone to my door!

Bytheway you guys need to take out your heads from sand and start surfing internet reviews regarding virgin media.... it's aparently the worst ISP.. I'm not saying this but British public!

Oh by the way you don't need to reply as I won't come back and admin/vm please delete my account details.

BenMcr
15-06-2009, 21:30
I'm not sure what you expected from this site. Yes there are many posts where people have issues - but it isn't a blanket 'We hate Virgin Media' site.

I wonder what will happen when OFCOM tells you that Virgin aren't running Webwise and you aren't on it, will you find another regulator?!

Raistlin
15-06-2009, 21:31
Think you're wasting your breath Ben, the OP has left the building.....

Stuart
15-06-2009, 21:38
ermmm it seems i'm on the wrong forum site. oooppss this appears to be virgin media site... all of sudden i'm being harrassed by vm employees and cable forum team.!!!

I'll instead go on facebook and look for other sites! Sorry guys. my apologies, won't come here again... let's hope you don't send someone to my door!

Why run? All we did was ask for proof. You have stated that you have been put on a webwise trial despite there being no evidence of trials, and it being likely that due to the current questions on whether phorm is legal under EU law (which outranks our law) that a lot of ISPs are backing away.

Bytheway you guys need to take out your heads from sand and start surfing internet reviews regarding virgin media.... it's aparently the worst ISP.. I'm not saying this but British public!

You need to read the forum. Most people who register here either have little to say about VM either way or come here to complain.

Toto
15-06-2009, 21:48
Well, that was fun whilst it lasted, I honestly wonder though what someone think they have to gain by posting such obvious nonsense.

My suggestion to the poster if he's still lurking - take some water with it. :LOL:

broadbandking
15-06-2009, 21:48

Oh by the way you don't need to reply as I won't come back and admin/vm please delete my account details.

Just proves that you have no idea what to say and your just trolling the forum to cause trouble.

Raistlin
15-06-2009, 22:09
Given that the OP is no longer a Member of the site it would appear somewhat unfair to allow this particular thread to continue as they no longer have the ability to respond for themselves. Further more, I can't see any particular benefits in allowing it to continue.

For those reasons, thread closed.