PDA

View Full Version : NHS interview, advice needed?

Caspar
15-06-2009, 16:33
I've got an interview with an NHS trust for an IT position (IM&T dept).

Does anyone have any advice on NHS interviews and techniques?

MovedGoalPosts
15-06-2009, 16:34
Don't mention superbugs, even if they are ones in software :p:

Good luck with it :tu:

Russ
15-06-2009, 16:36
Calling SuBi...(superbiatch ;))

superbiatch
15-06-2009, 16:55
I've got mates who work in our IT Empire, so will ask them specifics. But generally they are all pretty much the same.

You obviously meet the person spec which is why you got an interview (congrats btw), what is the exact job title? Does your interview include a competency test also?

The questions *should* be based on your competence in meeting the spec. And they will usually ask you to give an example when you've done such and such a thing. In order to make it as fair as possible, we use a scoring matrix so if you feel that you didn't answer a question as strongly as you could have, don't stress just pull yourself together and answer the next one doubly as good ;)

As an interviewer, we get nervous too - so don't worry about that.

The usual apply, smart appearance and cleanliness are imperative. And check your fly is up (I won't tell you about an interview I did recently!)

punky
15-06-2009, 17:11
I've got an interview with an NHS trust for an IT position (IM&T dept).

Does anyone have any advice on NHS interviews and techniques?

I have had a couple with the NHS. They seem to be very varied.

Interview 1 (IT support), had a very basic test. After that had an interview with 3 people jointly. One would ask 2 or 3 questions, the other two scribbled notes, then it would move on to someone else to ask a couple and then so on. The head of department asked technical questions, the director of the trust (I think) asked questions more along how would I prioritise time and deal with problems. The other I think was a HR-type and asked the usual vague questions, why do I want to work there, what weaknesses, etc.

Interview 2 (Software Engineer) didn't have a test but the questions were very IT specific. There were 3 people but only 2 asked questions. All were IT or experience related. The other just took notes and photographed my passport.

If you look at the person spec it should say if you would have a test or not.

Basically, just use common sense. Dress smart, be early, take a copy of your CV just in case, memorise the job spec and relate your answers back to that. There are a lot of sample questions online with tips to formulate an answer. Talk clearly, don't waffle. Strong handshake (especially the blokes) and make good eye contact.

Good luck!

And check your fly is up (I won't tell you about an interview I did recently!)

You forgot to zip your fly up after coming back from the toilet :shocked:

Turkey Machine
15-06-2009, 18:07
Research the post you're taking. For the love of all that is holy do the research, else you will lose out on it.

superbiatch
15-06-2009, 18:20
You forgot to zip your fly up after coming back from the toilet :shocked:

No, but the guy I was interviewing obviously forgot to zip up before attending his interview! Or maybe he thought it might swing things for him lol.

Research the post you're taking. For the love of all that is holy do the research, else you will lose out on it.

I wholeheartedly agree with this one completely. I can't go into details but I rejected someone at interview for this reason recently - she just didn't bother to do any research even though she was great at everything else.

Nidge
15-06-2009, 19:05
No, but the guy I was interviewing obviously forgot to zip up before attending his interview! Or maybe he thought it might swing things for him lol.

Did he get the job? :shocked::D

superbiatch
15-06-2009, 19:32
Did he get the job? :shocked::D

No, he was a boy - I need a man to keep me in check ;)

Back on topic now....

Peter_
15-06-2009, 19:40
No, he was a boy - I need a man to keep me in check ;)

Back on topic now....
Here is your Postman admirer, is he man enough

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/45.jpg (http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/11_04/horsepostDM2511_800x567.jpg)

Caspar
16-06-2009, 19:53
Thanks all for your advice :)

Cross fingers!

dilli-theclaw
16-06-2009, 19:53
Indeed - Good Luck :tu:

Caspar
16-06-2009, 19:54
I've been told I should plan for a 45minute interview with 2 people.

So no test? :( Does that mean they'll wittle the 4 interviewees down to maybe 2 and go for a 2nd interview test?

Damien
16-06-2009, 20:14
Good Luck! Just don't panic if these guys are interviewing you:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/32.png

punky
16-06-2009, 20:30

So no test? :( Does that mean they'll wittle the 4 interviewees down to maybe 2 and go for a 2nd interview test?

It will say in one of the attachments (I think person spec) if there is a test. It will list the qualities you need and the there will be letters like A - application, I - interview and T - test. So degree = A, etc.

I forgot to mention the NHS is almost exclusively a Windoze environment and generally running VB.net. So brush up on your ASP.NET, VB.NET, T-SQL, Visual SourceSafe, etc.

superbiatch
16-06-2009, 20:36

I'm not sure, I think normally we would indicate in the 1st interview letter that it would be likely to go to 2nd interview. I think you've got to give it your all Caspar, when is it?

Caspar
16-06-2009, 22:31
I'm not sure, I think normally we would indicate in the 1st interview letter that it would be likely to go to 2nd interview. I think you've got to give it your all Caspar, when is it?

Thanks, it's Thursday... that's one good thing about being jobless - it allows lots of time to research, think and plan the interview :)

superbiatch
16-06-2009, 22:37
Thanks, it's Thursday... that's one good thing about being jobless - it allows lots of time to research, think and plan the interview :)

If you think of any questions, fire away. All I would say is find out as much about the IT dept, how it is run, how many trusts it covers, departments within (our IT empire is huge and serves approx 20k users which consists of 4 PCT's, hospital trust and GP surgeries across the 4 PCT areas), they love to hear how much you know about them ;)

homealone
16-06-2009, 23:25

I didn't realise you were jobless, atm, Cas - all I can say is the last time I had an interview in a similar circumstance it was to my advantage I could 'start on Monday', rather than be held to the 3 months notice required for my 'nearest rival'...

- all the best for Thursday :tu:

Caspar
18-06-2009, 17:10
Interview now done :)

Shold take 2 weeks until they've interviewed all and decided upon the appointment. Cross fingers!

Thanks to all for your advice, most helpful :)

superbiatch
18-06-2009, 17:14
How did you think it went? Did you answer all their questions? Were they nodding and smiling?