PDA

View Full Version : V-Stuff: problems / solutions?

rakh1
15-06-2009, 13:04
Hi all,

Recently starting using v-stuff to backup my system. Was using Amazon S3 and JungleDisk before so figured this might be a way to cut costs. I've got 55GB of photos and over 100GB of video - so the unlimited package seemed attractive :)

However, I've been having a few problems... I am running Vista SP2 x64.

1 - V-Stuff not starting
About 1 in 5 times I start the machine and v-stuff fails to work. I see the icon in the notification area and I cna right click to give 'show' or 'exit'. However, I cannot open the application and it is not uploading in the background - even if left all day. I've since stopped skype from loading on start and think this might be the problem - skype can block some ports and will stop things like IIS from loading, etc etc - but we'll see.

2 - V-Stuff uploading VERY slowly
And I mean SLOWWWWW, 10mins for a 5MB upload!!! I talked to the tech staff and they said it was throttled and there was no way to remove the throttle. I cannot find anything in the registry :( Have since unloaded my firewall and excluded the v-stuff prog dir from virus scans. The upload it still throttled to around 40KByte/sec but it appears to be processing files faster.

3 - V-Stuff skipping files
Not figured this one out - sometimes it just skips files. It marks them as 100%, pauses and then skips them. They do not make the backup if you check. Tech support are looking at this atm but have no answer for now..

If anyone else has any experience with any of these issues I'd love to hear...

Rich

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

FYI - just uninstalled and re-installed the v-stuff client. After 15 mins of 'wrong username/password' it finally agreed to let me in and started again. I am not getting upload speeds of nearer 100KBytes/sec (2.5x faster)!!!! Confused (but happier).

R

rakh1
15-06-2009, 18:29
4 - Long pauses between big files. Is it verifying the upload? It seems to pause after every file - the time it pauses for it dependent on the size of the file and can be several minutes. However, during this time I can see that no upload network traffic is occuring???

R

rakh1
17-06-2009, 10:56
ok - so, have left running for 48hrs and uploaded 4GB - not too bad actually.

I still have two main problems - the pause between each upload (it must be doing somehting) and it getting stuck with 'analysing files' sometimes (I nudge it and it starts backup immediately).

R

rakh1
17-06-2009, 16:36
K - so customer services have just informed me that V-Stuff does not work on x64 and this is why I am seeing these problems. Strange - I'm 4.5GB in and the basics are working fine :) They have no release date for a x64 version (nor any plans for Win7 atm).

Ho-hum, guess I'll carry on unsupported then :)

R