PDA

View Full Version : Broadband connection problems

bigshot72
14-06-2009, 12:21
I'm in the process of looking for a new PC as my current one is pretty old now and I'm having a few problems.

The other night I decided to reinstall XP. When complete I installed the driver for the cable modem and the internet worked for a minute or so then lost its connection, which only returned after a reboot, but only for a minute or so. I tried another install but the same happened. The cable modem was connected via USB as my PC didn't have an ethernet card

Next day I borrowed a laptop but this time I connected via ethernet. The internet worked fine and I presumed I'd got to the bottom of the problem. So I got an ethernet card from work and put that in my PC. But again the same problem remained. So I did another install of XP and finally that solved my problem. The internet connected and stayed connected. Also in Network Connections in Control Panel there was now a lock next to the Local Area Network icon and it now said Enabled, Firewalled. I'm now getting my full 10Mb connection whereas previously I'd struggled to get to 6Mb, presumably that will be because of connecting via ethernet as opposed to USB.

However, this morning the modem has been rebooting istelf. It connects again straight away, and the internet is down less than a minute. Potentially this disconnecting could just be a coincidence as it is a slightly different problem and only has happened a few times. For example as I type this is been connected fine for the last 20 minutes.

I'm going to contact them and request a new modem anyway, as the one I have is the old sliver ntl:home modem which I've had about 8 years. But I'm curious to see if people have had similar issues to me, and what the actual problem was. I've never had any problems with their broadband service before.

Peter_
14-06-2009, 13:37
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bigshot72
14-06-2009, 14:52
On the bottom of the modem is says model no:60194E-A12

and the power levels are:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.17 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 34.19 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 55.00 dBmv

Its been fine since I first posted this thread.

Peter_
14-06-2009, 15:21
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 55.00 dBmv

Keep an eye on that as that is a bit high and should not go much higher.

bigshot72
14-06-2009, 15:35
So is that the source of both problems then?

This resetting itself like its doing today has been a very occasional problem over the last year or so and not just today. Presumably a new modem will solve that.

Peter_
14-06-2009, 15:44
Which one of these modems do you have click HERE (http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4)

bigshot72
14-06-2009, 15:46
ntl:home Series – 100, 120, 200

Like I say I've the same one since I got it installed about 8 years back.

Actually a quick check on the bottom says its a 120.

Peter_
14-06-2009, 15:55
ntl:home Series – 100, 120, 200

Like I say I've the same one since I got it installed about 8 years back.

Actually a quick check on the bottom says its a 120.
I would say call up Tech Support and see if you can get it replaced.

bigshot72
14-06-2009, 16:02
I was planning on doing it tomorrow anyway. Cheers for the help.

bigshot72
17-06-2009, 10:57
Finally got round to ringing them this morning. The offered me a new modem straight away and say it'll be with me in a couple of days.

The same problem has persisted since I first posted this.

bigshot72
20-06-2009, 13:20
Well the new modem arrived yesterday. It hasn't restarted once since I started using it.